July 07, 2024, 06:40:30 AM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1330385 times)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #13995 on: January 25, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
FedEx's meteorology branch is here in Memphis.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13996 on: January 25, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
Our town has been changing the street lights in our town for the past couple of years. Recently they've been working in our area and they've already changed them on the corner. There's a street light in front of my house that still has to be changed, probably tomorrow or over the next couple of days they'll change it. They are changing them from your typical high pressure sodium lights, to energy efficient induction lights. http://sayville.patch.com/articles/town-of-islip-announces-start-of-energy-efficient-street-light-upgrade-program
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13997 on: January 25, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
This process is much slower here.  The local electric companies in my area are still installing sodium lights.  Up until a few years ago, there were still new mercury lights being installed, but that stopped abruptly when new installations or sales of mercury lights were banned.  As the existing mercury lights burn out, they are being replaced with sodium lights.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13998 on: January 25, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have never heard of the WFO before until now.

Is working for the NWS really that stressful? I don't want to come across rude if I'm asking this.

Also for grad school would majoring in Physics undergrad and for a Meteorology Masters/PhD degree recommended? I am not making any choices solely from these options but I just wanted to hear some feedback or thoughts about this. Going to see a career counselor tomorrow morning for more discussion.
WFO stands for Weather Forecast Office, but Mike explained the rest well.  It can be stressful to work the hours, and you all have seen it in my schedule.  Private sector companies want highly specific skills as they perform focused tasks in broadcasting, consulting, and forecasting for companies.  However, overall job security is weaker in this sector, and the best examples are the turnover and layoffs at TWC or any news station.  Meanwhile, I have a secure career in the NWS.  I did my first winter headline today as I expanded a winter weather advisory in my area for the snow and sleet.

Victor, only you can make the decision of what you want to do in your life.  Martin and I have taken different paths simply because we have different approaches and personalities.  Martin, I hope you have way better luck with the private sector than I did, because the NWS was the only way I became a full-time meteorologist.  I never heard a single response from the private sector even though I applied for numerous openings during my job search a couple years ago!

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #13999 on: January 25, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have never heard of the WFO before until now.

Is working for the NWS really that stressful? I don't want to come across rude if I'm asking this.

Also for grad school would majoring in Physics undergrad and for a Meteorology Masters/PhD degree recommended? I am not making any choices solely from these options but I just wanted to hear some feedback or thoughts about this. Going to see a career counselor tomorrow morning for more discussion.
From what I hear, the frequent schedule changes is probably the worst downside to working at the NWS. Also, a masters degree in meteorology or a related a field (such as physics) really increases your chances of getting a better job. That's also what I've heard from a few NWS mets.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: January 25, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »

From what I hear, the frequent schedule changes is probably the worst downside to working at the NWS. Also, a masters degree in meteorology or a related a field (such as physics) really increases your chances of getting a better job. That's also what I've heard from a few NWS mets.
This is what I have heard as well. Masters makes you a better rounded and more competitive applicant. There are virtually no meteorologist jobs in NJ. My local news station WMGM had two positions lately but were both filled: A weekend meteorologist and a met intern.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14001 on: January 26, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
Our NBC affiliate is getting a major overhaul in a new set (they donated their old set to a local high school for their journalism program) graphics packages, music, and apparently a new weather video wall. The chief met Mike Francis posted this picture of him standing n front of it on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=482151738497291&set=a.371741999538266.80663.352902198088913&type=1

Something else I think will be an interesting concept is their lower thirds/news ticker will display more detailed information on each news story they are covering and will be color coded similar to USAToday, one of the partners they're affiliated with.

Here's a short video explaining this change by Brenda Wood
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/274112/318/A-new-look-for-11Alive

The changes are supposed to occur in February, I'm assuming February 5th because I heard this morning it's supposed to be on a Tuesday during the noon broadcast and they have been vaguely advertising February as the month that it would take place.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:52:02 AM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
Brenda Wood actually got her start here in Memphis at our NBC affiliate, WMC.

WMC 10pm Newscast - 1980

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14003 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »
Trevor, I knew she worked there a few years before moving here (I also saw a few YT videos of her from that same station a few years back) and started working at WAGA-TV in the late 1980s to the mid 1990s, at that time WAGA was a CBS affiliate, but in Dec. 1994 they switched affiliations with FOX who they are still with today. She left that station about 2 years after for WXIA-TV where she has been ever since.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: January 26, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
My parents cut Dish Network so no more TWC clips from me (I might try to record some clips in my dorm). We don't have any cable TV service anymore which doesn't surprise me when you can watch most programs online now

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: January 27, 2013, 10:38:58 PM »
I have TurboTax ready to go and just need my W-2 form to arrive before I can do mine.
Never really bothered with commercial tax software. I just download the EZ form from the IRS website. Pretty easy if you ask me.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14006 on: January 27, 2013, 10:45:24 PM »
Never really bothered with commercial tax software. I just download the EZ form from the IRS website. Pretty easy if you ask me.
You would want something like it when you start having more complex situations like handling mutual funds and stocks, owning a home and paying mortgage interest, moving and having to account for state taxes everywhere you gained income, and trying to find the most deductions so that you really pay the amount of taxes you should.  It really has helped me during the past few years.  I completed mine in an hour and got everything e-filed and approved. :yes:

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14007 on: January 28, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026502/facebook-legal-notice-could-get-you-cash-so-dont-trash-it.html

Did anyone receive this Facebook legal notice in their email accounts?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:50:53 AM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14008 on: January 28, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: January 28, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026502/facebook-legal-notice-could-get-you-cash-so-dont-trash-it.html

Did anyone receive this Facebook legal notice in their email accounts?

Yes.  <_<  But I just ignored it.