July 07, 2024, 06:57:37 AM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1330407 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #13515 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »
You know what is a nice piece of technology?  The iPad.  :)
Sure is! Can't wait to see the new one announced in a few weeks!
Yep, considering this post is from my new one....

Nothing from the iPad 3 rumors blew me away, and I got a good deal on this one.
Oh haha didn't know you got a new one. Nice!! Enjoy it :) I love mine!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13516 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
So apparently, the NWS refers to Presidents Day as "Washington's Birthday" now? Why is that?
It's because federal law never called this holiday as "President's Day" at any time, so everyone in the public gets this day wrong.  Even though George Washington was born on February 22, federal law states that the observed holiday known as "Washington's Birthday" is the third Monday of every February.  There's no such day as "President's Day" in the official calendar, so the NWS has to follow it.

Well, federal law is crazy then. :wacko:

Why would they call it "Washington's Birthday" when that's not his actual birthday??  It was always my understanding that "President's Day" originated from combining Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays together to make one federal holiday.  If this isn't even the case, then how did the term "President's Day" come about?

(These are all rhetorical questions.  I know none of you likely have the answer.)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13517 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »
Well, federal law is crazy then. :wacko:

Why would they call it "Washington's Birthday" when that's not his actual birthday??  It was always my understanding that "President's Day" originated from combining Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays together to make one federal holiday.  If this isn't even the case, then how did the term "President's Day" come about?

(These are all rhetorical questions.  I know none of you likely have the answer.)

When it was initially created, it was on his actual birthday.  However, a law called the Uniform Monday Holiday Act changed the observance of several holidays to Mondays starting in 1971, and Washington's Birthday was one of them.  Wikipedia explains the whole thing pretty well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington's_Birthday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Monday_Holiday_Act

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #13518 on: February 17, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
This is my 1,000th post!

To celebrate:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #13519 on: February 20, 2012, 05:11:51 AM »
Gah! I woke up to my right middle finger being swolen! ouch >_< at least it's not my writing hand though

On the other hand (no pun intended!), does anyone have school today such as myself?
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: February 20, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »
Gah! I woke up to my right middle finger being swolen! ouch >_< at least it's not my writing hand though

On the other hand (no pun intended!), does anyone have school today such as myself?
Yes, I do.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: February 20, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »

I am assuming the Norman schools, as well as a lot of schools around the area, are off today because the campus is a complete zoo!  For some reason, I get stressed out during situations when there are a lot of people that I have to "dodge" essentially, so lunch in the cafeteria today was sure fun with all these adults and little kids running around. <_<

I don't really care if I had today off or not, since I'm already done with class. :P

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13522 on: February 26, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »
Is it just me, or is this year simply flying by before my eyes? :blink:  We're almost at the leap day for the end of February!  I often wonder how much the leap day screws up everyone as it's the rarest day on the calendar.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13523 on: February 26, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »
This is my 1,000th post!

To celebrate:

:P

Is it just me, or is this year simply flying by before my eyes? :blink:  We're almost at the leap day for the end of February!  I often wonder how much the leap day screws up everyone as it's the rarest day on the calendar.

Jeez I thought it was just me. Can't believe its nearly March!

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #13524 on: February 27, 2012, 12:22:36 AM »
I hate Leap Day too. It makes our spring break feel like it's one day shorter

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »

I would only agree to this statement if it were September or October.  Time is flying by for me, but not really this year; we're only 1/6th of the way through!

I hate Leap Day too. It makes our spring break feel like it's one day shorter

How? :blink:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13526 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »
I would only agree to this statement if it were September or October.  Time is flying by for me, but not really this year; we're only 1/6th of the way through!
I'm referring to how quickly the year seems to be progressing already.  It doesn't feel that long ago when we welcomed it.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13527 on: February 27, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »
I'm referring to how quickly the year seems to be progressing already.  It doesn't feel that long ago when we welcomed it.

Yeah, then we'll all be saying the samething by the time hurricane season arrives, then Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and by then we repeat the process all over again in 2013 only even faster. :P

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13528 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »
Here's a little friendly reminder about next Sunday:  Daylight Saving Time begins on March 11 at 2 AM local time.  Make sure you set your clocks ahead one hour at that point.  This forum will handle the DST change automatically, so check your forum profile to ensure your time offset setting is correct for your time zone. ;)

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13529 on: March 04, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
I'm wondering what's going on here. First time I've seen this.