July 04, 2024, 02:08:52 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1328871 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #13365 on: January 15, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Valentine's Day is lame. Never really liked it except in '08..

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13366 on: January 15, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
Wooooow. I have $750 and am willing to pay my Grandparents that much to help me out and buy the MacBook Air for school and editing purposes. They won't do it. Why? "I don't need it." So right now I have a failing computer that has almost the same specs. I'm not "allowed" to get a new computer. Whatever this is, something of value will be lost.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #13367 on: January 15, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
Just curious, how old are you Austin?

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #13368 on: January 15, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »
14. I always pay for my own stuff but in this case I just needed help with this. The only reason I need a good editing computer is because I make videos and other things for our church. If it wasn't for the editing portion (and the lasting-longer part), I would need or want a Mac. They're too overpriced, for a UNIX foundation.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13369 on: January 16, 2012, 12:25:57 AM »
Austin, that sounds a bit difficult. I hope you all come to a solution, but don't complain about things like that. You could be far worse off.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #13370 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
Sorry, but I agree, you shouldn't get a MacBook Air at age 14. Kids get higher end electronics and gadgets younger and younger. Go out and play or something, or better yet, make due with what you have or can afford. The time will come when you can work and come up with the money on your own. And, if it's for video editing, a MBA isn't necessary. There are plenty of cheaper Windows machines out there that have better specs. Just my two cents, although you probably disagree.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:23 AM »
Sorry, but I agree, you shouldn't get a MacBook Air at age 14. Kids get higher end electronics and gadgets younger and younger. Go out and play or something, or better yet, make due with what you have or can afford. The time will come when you can work and come up with the money on your own. And, if it's for video editing, a MBA isn't necessary. There are plenty of cheaper Windows machines out there that have better specs. Just my two cents, although you probably disagree.

Second that. Besides, Apple discounts a 150 bucks once you get into college. Worth waiting for the savings, in my opinion.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13372 on: January 16, 2012, 03:41:21 AM »
Wooooow. I have $750 and am willing to pay my Grandparents that much to help me out and buy the MacBook Air for school and editing purposes. They won't do it. Why? "I don't need it." So right now I have a failing computer that has almost the same specs. I'm not "allowed" to get a new computer. Whatever this is, something of value will be lost.
Macbook Air for editing is a big no no. It might have an i5/i7 processor but everything is underclocked and under powered to save battery. Airs are not meant for heavy workloads. I suggest a Pro if you are doing heavy video editing. If you have the money for an Apple computer thats fine but windows systems are just as powerful and will do what you need.

I say mooch your parents for every penny. :P Nah I say if you have the money get the gadgets you want. I got tech gadgets when I was young but it didn't mean I automatically stopped going outside and participating in the real world.

IF you have the money I say go ahead and enjoy buying what you want. However be vigilant of your future. If you don't have money saved for college I suggest you skip the luxury items and start saving. I was fortunate enough not to have that problem but college is getting more expensive by the year.
Second that. Besides, Apple discounts a 150 bucks once you get into college. Worth waiting for the savings, in my opinion.
5 years for $150 bucks?

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: January 16, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
Yeah, sorry. I was brought up being very patient for things, as I don't have a whole lot of money. :P I'm betting that prices will continue to drop over 5 years, though. Martin is right, though...keep in mind your future expenses. College is usually a big one (that was a problem I narrowly avoided a year ago).
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13374 on: January 16, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
I despise Macs (don't hurt me Jonathan :P)... Windows can handle things just as well. And if you say otherwise, then you are not taking proper care of your computer. :)

I built my own PC last summer using some of the best hardware out there, and it still cost me several hundreds less than even a MB Air.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:58:55 PM by Mike M »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: January 16, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »
Well, I am headed back to university tomorrow as I have classes in the afternoon. I'm concerned that the poor weather will hamper the 2 hour drive up to New Brunswick. But, I don't know if I can start doing work again because I feel like I can't memorize or remember things anymore since finals were over lol.

I'm also concerned about after spring semester, in regards to what to do over the summer break. For you guys in or have attended college, during the summer do you take summer courses, work, intern or volunteer in your field of interest or do some combo of these?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:19:53 PM by Localonthe8s »

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
Well, I am headed back to university tomorrow as I have classes in the afternoon. I'm concerned that the poor weather will hamper the 2 hour drive up to New Brunswick. But, I don't know if I can start doing work again because I feel like I can't memorize or remember things anymore since finals were over lol.

I'm also concerned about after spring semester, in regards to what to do over the summer break. For you guys in or have attended college, during the summer do you take summer courses, work, intern or volunteer in your field of interest or do some combo of these?

Well, I just started, but I can give you some insight on what my plans are. I've got a double major to work with, which extends my college time to 5 to 5.5 semesters, so I'm going to be spending several summers there working on classes to possibly reduce that time. I also found a job, although not in my interest field. I'll be working for the TSA with airport security in Grand Forks over the summer until junior year, at which point I'll be eligible to apply for an internship at NWS Grand Forks.
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13377 on: January 16, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »

I didn't take any summer courses, but I volunteered for two summers at the NWS in Blacksburg, VA and did an internship during a third summer at HPC in Silver Spring, MD.  I would strongly urge you to find some opportunities that fit within your planned major so that you have a foot in the door when you graduate and start applying for full-time jobs.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: January 16, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »

I didn't take any summer courses, but I volunteered for two summers at the NWS in Blacksburg, VA and did an internship during a third summer at HPC in Silver Spring, MD.  I would strongly urge you to find some opportunities that fit within your planned major so that you have a foot in the door when you graduate and start applying for full-time jobs.
That sounds logical. Well, I cannot do any summer research/internships until next summer or junior year (when I'll look for some) as I have not completed my main math and science courses yet, but I was thinking about maybe working part-time as a Pharm Tech and taking a science class at the local CC. Volunteering also sounds like a good option, but it will be difficult for me to afford next year's tuition if I do not earn some income, so I figured having a job in a related field can't hurt.

But regardless of major, if you work in a field that doesn't exactly pertain to your major and you write this information down in your application to professional/graduate school or on a resume, would that hurt your chances in any way?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:19:26 PM by Localonthe8s »

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13379 on: January 16, 2012, 02:30:17 PM »

That sounds logical. Well, I cannot do any summer research/internships until next summer or junior year (when I'll look for some) as I have not completed my main math and science courses yet, but I was thinking about maybe working part-time as a Pharm Tech and taking a science class at the local CC. Volunteering also sounds like a good option, but it will be difficult for me to afford next year's tuition if I do not earn some income, so I figured having a job in a related field can't hurt.

But regardless of major, if you work in a field that doesn't exactly pertain to your major and you write this information down in your application to professional/graduate school or on a resume, would that hurt your chances in any way?

Well, first off, what is your major? For the resume, any addition employment is good to see, as it shows you have job experience. As for graduate school, I think they're more worried about your academic grades more than your job. I can't answer this for sure, though.
Tiddlywinks.