July 02, 2024, 11:45:49 AM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1327660 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #13260 on: January 03, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
weather.com is showing 28 as a low for the Tampa Bay area. :unsure:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13261 on: January 03, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »
weather.com is showing 28 as a low for the Tampa Bay area. :unsure:
I dont live directly in Tampa..  ;) just look up the forecast for zip 33592 and look for yourself
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13262 on: January 03, 2012, 10:10:41 AM »
Now TWC is forecasting 18 to be my low tonight!!! :brr: :brr:
You're gonna be even colder than me tonight. I guess it makes sense though, I don't live very far from the downtown Atlanta area the city is a major heat island.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #13263 on: January 03, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
18° is forecasted by TWC in my area too!  :o :brr:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:21:36 PM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: January 03, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
So glad I don't have to deal with this. :P

BTW, you Floridians who disliked the warm weather for Christmas, is this a good enough change for you? :rofl:

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13265 on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
18° is forecasted by TWC in my area too!  :o :brr:
Hey! You're not to far away from our 14°F low. At least I don't live in the Pine Barrens of LI, looks like they may drop even below 0°F  :brr: :faint:

EDIT: Scratch that, when there's wind, radiational cooling is slowed and they breeze is coming off the Long Island Sound which still has temps in the upper 40's to low 50's, NOT TO MENTION WE ALSO HAD SOUND/OCEAN EFFECT SNOW TODAY.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:03:17 PM by GTAIVman »
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: January 03, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
TWC upped our low by a degree to 19, but that is still very brutal for Central Florida. Also, the entire state of Florida is under some sort of freeze warning now. :o
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13267 on: January 03, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
My low for tonight is 19° by NWS and 22° from TWC. I don't care who is talking, this is bitterly cold for my area. I walked out of school today in the mid 30's and the wind blowing and I felt like I was in a freezer!  :brr:

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: January 03, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
This is one of the reasons why I live right along the coast. Not trying to say anything. The temperature seldom drops below 5°F every year. In fact, there are species of palm trees that can survive single digit temps. I see them along the beach a lot, here's a link to the palm I'm talking bout,
http://www.sunpalmtrees.com/Cold-Hardy-Palm-Trees-Windmill-Palms.htm
Don't ask :rolleyes: I just quickly googled it.
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: January 03, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
I was out walking this afternoon in a t-shirt and jeans, and people were looking at me like I had just escaped from a mental institution. 34 isn't so bad for a walk.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: January 03, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Daytona Beach is 41° now, with an expected overnight low around 28°.  The last time the weather was this cold here was in the middle of last January.  Fortunately, it won't last long.  I dislike heat, but I hate cold even more.  :)

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: January 03, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
If there were any people alive from the 1800's, they would laugh at us, seriously, you guys call this a cold spell? Yes, it's a big contrast to the weather we've all been seeing lately but this is nothing compared to what they got hundreds of years ago. I like to watch the local news and see the almanac for NYC and it's sad to see that today's cold spell can't even match the ones hundreds of years ago. The daily record low for the day in NYC is -4°F set in I believe 1876. Out of all the cold spells we've been getting over the past 20 years, not one has even came close. 2 things I blame it on is GW and the urban heat island effect. It's sad to see that this happening and that the govt. is taking no action to slow GW, they were supposed to put wind turbines some 10 miles off the ocean here for electricity production, but it was turned down, because we got the ignorance of the people who said "oh well it blocks our view", HELLO, these things are 10 miles away, you can't even see out that far. I thought it would be a great idea, since we get a lot of wind storms and they're well off in the ocean. I'm sorry to rant and post so much random stuff but this is what's on my mind. Crazy... :wacko:
My Weather Station

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: January 03, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »
It's 20 right now, the shore is supposed to go down to 16 as a low. I kinda don't mind the cold. Gives me more the reason to sit by the fireplace and have some nice hot chocolate.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #13273 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
It is 36° here already.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: January 03, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
If there were any people alive from the 1800's, they would laugh at us, seriously, you guys call this a cold spell? Yes, it's a big contrast to the weather we've all been seeing lately but this is nothing compared to what they got hundreds of years ago. I like to watch the local news and see the almanac for NYC and it's sad to see that today's cold spell can't even match the ones hundreds of years ago. The daily record low for the day in NYC is -4°F set in I believe 1876. Out of all the cold spells we've been getting over the past 20 years, not one has even came close. 2 things I blame it on is GW and the urban heat island effect. It's sad to see that this happening and that the govt. is taking no action to slow GW, they were supposed to put wind turbines some 10 miles off the ocean here for electricity production, but it was turned down, because we got the ignorance of the people who said "oh well it blocks our view", HELLO, these things are 10 miles away, you can't even see out that far. I thought it would be a great idea, since we get a lot of wind storms and they're well off in the ocean. I'm sorry to rant and post so much random stuff but this is what's on my mind. Crazy... :wacko:

Besides the view thing, those windmills are only good up to a certain point, and I can say this as a fact visiting a wind farm near Mayville, ND. Those windmills can't handle very high winds, and they're designed to shut down after the wind hits a certain speed. Generally, that speed stands at around 26 mph (I think that's the number I was told) or so for your standard windmill model.

"Cold spell" is also a relative term, and it's usually not used to compare a time period as far back as the 1800s. For this 365-day period, this is definitely a cold spell for the South. Granted, we're not as cold as back then, but we can still experience some pretty brutal lows nonetheless.
Tiddlywinks.