July 02, 2024, 11:33:27 AM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1327632 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #13245 on: January 01, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
Quiet day today huh? I guess more of us got hungover than I thought.  :P

Yeah, it's usually always quiet on holidays on these forums.  Guess people are either recovering, or out and about.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #13246 on: January 01, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
Oof. Woke up at 2 PM today, didn't go to bed until around 3:30 in the morning.
Same :bleh:

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #13247 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »
I had two glasses of champagne, one at 10 and one at midnight - the only time I ever tap into the bottles  :whistling:  But I went to bed at 2:30am and woke up at 7:45am. Needless to say, I felt like crap all day yesterday  :pinch:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #13248 on: January 02, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »
I used to do that during New Years , but I kept getting tipsy from it (and it tasted really strong) so the champagne was a no-no afterwards

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13249 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »
I cop out every year, I only drink Welch's sparkling wine. :P

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: January 02, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
Tonight is gonna be a long night. The power went out not once, not twice, but three times so far roday, the last two within the past hour. The winds are frightening to say the least.

Check out the severe weather alert here, I've never seen one pertaining to power outages.

Also check out the wind gust being reported, 43 mph! That's pretty darn impressive for a cold front. Those winds kinda brought a chill to me. I really think the NWS office here needs to issue some High Wind Warnings for part of N. GA If were clocking 40+ mph winds down here I know the mountain areas are clocking no less than 50 mph which should be enough to warrant one or at least bend the rules some to allow for one.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13251 on: January 02, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
Tonight is gonna be a long night. The power went out not once, not twice, but three times so far roday, the last two within the past hour. The winds are frightening to say the least.

Check out the severe weather alert here, I've never seen one pertaining to power outages.

Also check out the wind gust being reported, 43 mph! That's pretty darn impressive for a cold front. Those winds kinda brought a chill to me. I really think the NWS office here needs to issue some High Wind Warnings for part of N. GA If were clocking 40+ mph winds down here I know the mountain areas are clocking no less than 50 mph which should be enough to warrant one or at least bend the rules some to allow for one.

These same conditions happened here on New Year's Eve when the cold front moved through north Texas.  The same "power outage" message appeared on weather.com, and there were some gusts at DFW airport reported at over 50 mph! :o

I, however, do not recall any high wind warnings being issued, so I'm not sure what the criteria is for that.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: January 02, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »

These same conditions happened here on New Year's Eve when the cold front moved through north Texas.  The same "power outage" message appeared on weather.com, and there were some gusts at DFW airport reported at over 50 mph! :o

I, however, do not recall any high wind warnings being issued, so I'm not sure what the criteria is for that.

Yeah, the highest wind gust I've seen observed at Hartsfield Int'l was 52 mph and 49mph here in the downtown area. It went back down into the mid 30s as far as wind gusts and then within the past 30 minutes it's gone back up into the 43-51mph range. We've also had snow flurries tonight and my 4th power outage after I made that post (sighs) Luckily we haven't had another one since...

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13253 on: January 02, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »

Yeah, the highest wind gust I've seen observed at Hartsfield Int'l was 52 mph and 49mph here in the downtown area. It went back down into the mid 30s as far as wind gusts and then within the past 30 minutes it's gone back up into the 43-51mph range. We've also had snow flurries tonight and my 4th power outage after I made that post (sighs) Luckily we haven't had another one since...
Oh my, that sounds bad. We have a lake wind Advisory here in Berkeley County, SC. I hope with the low temps and winds that we don't have any trees to fall and cause outages in the next day or so. Good luck to you all in the Atlanta area.  :unsure:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #13254 on: January 02, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
While we don't have a wind advisory here.. we do have a Wind Chill Advisory and a Hard Freeze watch.. tomorrow's high is only 52° and tomorrow night's low is 21°!!!  :wacko: :brr:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:25 PM »

Oh my, that sounds bad. We have a lake wind Advisory here in Berkeley County, SC. I hope with the low temps and winds that we don't have any trees to fall and cause outages in the next day or so. Good luck to you all in the Atlanta area.  :unsure:

Yeesh! Those are some nasty winds, especially for the South! Normally in Grand Forks, we'd go "whatever" with that kinda stuff, but that does sound rough.

A high wind warning requires that 40 mph sustained winds last over a period of 60 minutes or longer, or that gusts of 58 mph or higher are expected during any time frame. You're just under those conditions right now, Tavores.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13256 on: January 02, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »

Hate to brag about it but that's nothing. I'm surprised you're getting power outages at that wind speed. Here, at least, not even a hurricane (Irene) can knock out power, which still brought pretty intense winds here. I've seen that "Severe Winds May Be Causing Power Outages" screen before, in fact, only a few days ago  ;)

While we don't have a wind advisory here.. we do have a Wind Chill Advisory and a Hard Freeze watch.. tomorrow's high is only 52° and tomorrow night's low is 21°!!!   

Wow! You sure you're in Florida? From that expected low, you probably live in a area where an excessive amount of radiational cooling takes place. Is there any undeveloped land nearby your area? I guarantee that's the cause why it gets so cold where you are.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:47 PM »
I live outside of the city of Tampa in a small, podunk town called Thonotosassa, and yes a lot of radiational cooling does occur out here.. :yes: though what's amazing me is that this is our first freeze of the season down here :blink:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: January 02, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »

Hate to brag about it but that's nothing. I'm surprised you're getting power outages at that wind speed. Here, at least, not even a hurricane (Irene) can knock out power, which still brought pretty intense winds here. I've seen that "Severe Winds May Be Causing Power Outages" screen before, in fact, only a few days ago  ;)

While we don't have a wind advisory here.. we do have a Wind Chill Advisory and a Hard Freeze watch.. tomorrow's high is only 52° and tomorrow night's low is 21°!!!   

Wow! You sure you're in Florida? From that expected low, you probably live in a area where an excessive amount of radiational cooling takes place. Is there any undeveloped land nearby your area? I guarantee that's the cause why it gets so cold where you are.

It's odd because sometimes it does knock out the power and sometimes it doesn't. The several times the power has gone out it has been very brief, it automatically comes back on. Wind gusts into the 50s is rare here even during severe weather, most of the time in cases where we have been severe thunderstorm or tornado warned, wind gusts never exceeded 35-40mph. The last time I can remember winds this strong was back on April 15th last year when a line of thunderstorms moved threw late at night.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37:44 AM »
Now TWC is forecasting 18 to be my low tonight!!! :brr: :brr: