July 04, 2024, 02:31:28 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1328933 times)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #13125 on: December 16, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
The error would be the clear conditions amidst all the clouds?
That and the sudden temperature increase and the sudden increase in pressure. A glitch indeed.

Likely the ASOS or AWOS station had a malfunctioning thermometer and cloud base detector at that time. Hopefully the station got repaired.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #13126 on: December 16, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »
OCM Denis Phillips from WFTS 28 said that a ridge could stick in the Atlantic for months, drawing warm easterly winds, meaning that Florida and potentially much of the Southeast may not have much of a winter.  :( There is a good possibility that the highs down here could be near 80 on Christmas Day.  :itsok:
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13127 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
OCM Denis Phillips from WFTS 28 said that a ridge could stick in the Atlantic for months, drawing warm easterly winds, meaning that Florida and potentially much of the Southeast may not have much of a winter.  :( There is a good possibility that the highs down here could be near 80 on Christmas Day.  :itsok:

Ughhhhhhh. This is why it doesn't feel like Christmas to me.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #13128 on: December 16, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
We have yet to have our first freeze... :wacko:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #13129 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
We have yet to have our first freeze... :wacko:

We've had one or two in Ozark, however, by this day we would have already had at least ten freezes and five hard freezes. Only one frost out of our regular twenty or so.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:04 PM »
We really didn't have any deep freezes here until last last month... usually we'd start getting freezes around mid-late October. Even now, we've still been above average with temperatures 45-60°, with occasional brief cold spells. Lows haven't gotten much below freezing, also above average.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13131 on: December 17, 2011, 12:52:31 AM »
A lot of factors right now are making it a mild winter for all of us, and La Niņa is only one part of the story.  I don't see this trend ending soon either, but we'll have to watch for any sudden shifts later in the winter.

Hope all of you have done well with finals and getting ready to enjoy Christmas break! :happy:

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: December 17, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Considering I'm used to shivering every Christmas, not to mention trudging through miscellaneous wet stuff on the ground, I wouldn't mind AT ALL to have an 80° Christmas!  :)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: December 17, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
Grand Forks has been asking where the heck winter has gone. We've been above 30 degrees quite a few times this year, well above average, and there has been only one snowfall, and less than one inch at that. We have a high of 47 forecast for tomorrow, which could easily break some records.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: December 17, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
It looks like the Christmas forecast for Daytona Beach has improved: party cloudy and in the mid 70s.  That's a lot better than what the forecast was just a few days ago: rainy and mid-upper 50s.  :)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #13135 on: December 17, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
I can't really complain. Besides the freak pre-Halloween snowstorm, I don't see this winter being any worse than last year or 2009. New Brunswick hit 58 on Thursday and even yesterday wasn't very chilly either, I only had to wear a sweatshirt. Typically, I'd be wearing a heavy coat and several layers in mid December..but thankfully I don't have to do that yet. January, usually our coldest month, might be a different story :P

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13136 on: December 17, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »
This winter might shape out more like the winters of 00-01, 02-03 and 06-07. What I've noticed based on observation data over the past 36 years here on LI, when ever there is a early season snowstorm (like the one we had in October), typically the months after it tend to be well above average. These months include November (which was the warmest on record for here), December( which is so far several degrees above average), and January. However, the months of February, March and April tend to be below average. Where am I getting this from? Looking at data from 1979-1980 and 2000-2001, which both had early season snow events (seems that the media totally forgot about them when talking about this past Oct. snowstorm  :rolleyes: ) the months after tend to above average, and then become below average. And so far this year, everything is going the way it happened back then. Not surprised at all.  :noexpression:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:52:45 PM by GTAIVman »
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: December 17, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »
Winter (which hasn't officially started yet) is pretty much the same here so far (Texas/Oklahoma).  I feel like it's actually been colder than normal: highs anywhere in the 40s to 50s with maybe a 60-degree day or two thrown in there.

Both the southeast and northeast have already had a major snowstorm.  I guess the northeast will typcially see much more snowfall by this time of year , but isn't the southeast experiencing pretty normal conditions right now?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13138 on: December 17, 2011, 03:30:19 PM »
Winter (which hasn't officially started yet) is pretty much the same here so far (Texas/Oklahoma).  I feel like it's actually been colder than normal: highs anywhere in the 40s to 50s with maybe a 60-degree day or two thrown in there.

Both the southeast and northeast have already had a major snowstorm.  I guess the northeast will typcially see much more snowfall by this time of year , but isn't the southeast experiencing pretty normal conditions right now?

Winter sucks here in the east until we can get a decent pattern change

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: December 17, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
OMG! My high school just won the FHSAA Class 6A State football championship!! :dance:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~