July 04, 2024, 02:37:50 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1328951 times)

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #12720 on: September 25, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
i loved our system. Elegantly simple. Our program was called "Justice Under God" or JUG as most referred to it as. It was assigned in units, with 3 units= 1 hour. Depending on the infraction (disrespect, dress code violation, cheating, plagiarism, etc) you'd get a certain amount of hours to be served that day, no exceptions. And they'd actually make you do work too, you couldn't just sit and drool in a classroom. Examples? Clean the bathroom floor with a scrub brush. Move 100 desks and chairs to the auditorium for exams. Rub out scuff marks in the hallways with tennis balls....you get the picture. For more serious things, such as plagiarism, you were assigned 30 units (or 10 hours) of JUG, your work was give a 0%, you had to write a letter of apology to the teacher, etc. Simple but effective system. They made you stay on the straight and narrow. I never got one unit in four years. Go Jesuits.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12721 on: September 25, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
Your first office referral, demerits, detentions, suspensions? (I highly doubt anyone here has been expelled but if you have been you really shouldn't share  :biggrin:)
In the CPS, we don't have demerits. In fact, I never heard of them until all of you complained about them. At my school, if you're late to a class once, you're let off with a warning. However, if you're tardy to a class twice, you get a detention. Three times, you get a Saturday School. Four times or more, you get either an ISS (in-school suspension) or OSS (out-of-school). If you have an unexcused absence (aka cutting a class), the consequences are mostly the same except that you get a detention on the first one, with the rest of the consequences adjusted accordingly.

This is literally the exact policy my high school had before switching to the new "Tardy Eliminator" system.

To comment on some previous posts, I personally find it silly to issue demerits or referrals for forgetting your materials or not doing your homework at the high school level. Elementary school: sure. This way, these can be treated as a learning experience to prepare students for higher consequences (i.e. your grade) later in the school career. But by high school (and even middle school/junior high), if you forget your materials, that's your fault. So either borrow a pen from a friend or you're out of luck. If you don't do an assignment, you lose points or get a 0: end of story. No slips need to be issued for these small things at a higher level of education.

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #12722 on: September 25, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »
We've got a kid a grade lower than I am - he's a bit on the... fluffy side. We have "Fun Food Fridays" and order pizza. I pay $5 for THREE SLICES of pizza from Little Caesars when I can get a whole pizza. Guess what? He pays NOTHING and takes the whole pizza for himself and the rest of us only get one slice and he says WE'RE lying.

:club: :facepalm:  :club:

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12723 on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
Wow, some of these policies are tense... At my school its relaxed really. Only the new teachers really enforce the rules as they're supposed to be. Most of my teachers have a tardy log that you sign, and at the end of the week its just entered in the computer as a tardy. If they did it as supposed to, they're to give you a detention, then a administrative referral. That referral results in either an ISS or OSS depending on what you've already done. Rarely do teachers assign after school detentions, but when they are given, its usually on a Friday afternoon or before school...

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #12724 on: September 25, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
I wouldn't want to attend all of your schools... jheez...

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12725 on: September 26, 2011, 12:15:35 AM »

Well Jesse, surely you had some form of disciplinary action at your school...

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12726 on: September 26, 2011, 01:46:32 AM »

Jesse and I attended schools.  The rest of you... well, "prison" seems too inadequate a word.  Are you allowed to sneeze without getting written up for it?!

phw115wvwx

« Reply #12727 on: September 26, 2011, 02:10:36 AM »
I worry that so much is being done on this stuff that it takes away the primary focus of education.  Besides, shouldn't most of these discipline issues be corrected by parents at a young age?  I truly believe that many of the problems in school start at home.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: September 26, 2011, 02:34:19 AM »
I worry that so much is being done on this stuff that it takes away the primary focus of education.  Besides, shouldn't most of these discipline issues be corrected by parents at a young age?  I truly believe that many of the problems in school start at home.

Sadly, the whole concept of "education" has become perverted to the point that I'm not sure it will ever recover.

That said, it's a sad but true fact that there are parents out there who leave the whole idea of child rearing to the schools.  (Of course, if the school teaches the child something objectionable to the parents who thus far have had no interest in what the child learns, the parents will raise holy hell about it, but I digress.)

I got my first real example of how differently children are raised when I started kindergarten.  Before I even entered the school for the first time, I could read and write (at a level several years ahead of my age, but that's beside the point, which is that I could read and write), I knew shapes, colors, how to tell time and use a calendar, and had a basic understanding of simple arithmetic.  So many of my classmates had little to no concept of any of this.  Granted, the kids were obviously well taken care of otherwise - they were happy, clothed, well fed, and looked after, but their parents obviously made little to no attempt to teach them anything "academic."

It disturbed me that there were classmates even into high school that had difficulty reading aloud in class.  It disturbed me that we still had to practice reading aloud in high school!  Reading classes were obligatory through the 8th grade, and oral practice gave so many 13-year-olds such a challenge.  I mean... seriously??  And people still wonder why the U.S. ranks at the bottom of industrial countries when it comes to how well educated our children are???

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #12729 on: September 26, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

Jesse and I attended schools.  The rest of you... well, "prison" seems too inadequate a word.  Are you allowed to sneeze without getting written up for it?!

It was during study hall and someone had stirred up some dust and I started sneezing like crazy. I hear out of my ear, "AUSTIN! THREE DEMERITS!"  :dunno:

:worship:
Hail, O great teacher with power I am unmatched!

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #12730 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »
My first office referral was probably in pre-K or Kindergarten when I said stupid. It was almost 10 years ago, so I'm not really sure, but I most likely did get sent to the office. How I knew that word back then, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:52:19 AM by Pavel95 »
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #12731 on: September 26, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »
3 Demerits = citation
5 Citations = violation
4 Violations = verbal warning
3 Verbal warnings = written warning
2 Written warnings = disciplinary review

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12732 on: September 26, 2011, 11:48:48 AM »
It was during study hall and someone had stirred up some dust and I started sneezing like crazy. I hear out of my ear, "AUSTIN! THREE DEMERITS!"  :dunno:

GEESH!!!  Next thing you know, you'll get a demerit every time you go to the bathroom... but it wouldn't surprise me if that happens already.

Seriously, do your teachers get paid for every demerit they give?

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12733 on: September 26, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »
Holy cow, Austin, it sounds like your teachers really just hand out demerits like candy. We got demerits if we were tardy or missed class.

I don't know about you folks in college, but we don't have demerits here. All you really have to do is something really, really stupid to get thrown out of the school. We've already had at least 10 or 20 people removed from our dorm because of excessive drinking.
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #12734 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
You'll never see any of this "demerit" stuff in college.  High school and elementary school simply teach you how to be a good and prepared student, and those habits should become second nature by the time you enter college as no one is going to remind you to attend class or bring all your supplies.  You'll be on your own at that point as you're an adult.  If you act up in a college, you'll find that security or the police will be called upon to take care of you!