March 29, 2024, 02:21:21 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1753417 times)

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14685 on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Former UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, the Iron Lady, passed away this morning at the age of 87.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/08/17653388-margaret-thatcher-iron-lady-who-led-conservative-resurgence-in-britain-dies-at-87?lite
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:41:33 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14686 on: April 08, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »
Former UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, the Iron Lady, passed away this morning at the age of 87.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/08/17653388-margaret-thatcher-iron-lady-who-led-conservative-resurgence-in-britain-dies-at-87?lite

That's sad to hear. :(  She certainly did a lot for her country.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14687 on: April 09, 2013, 01:35:21 AM »

She was such a brilliant woman. I'm sorry to hear of her passing.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14688 on: April 10, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »
I took these photos of what looks like a shelf cloud approaching the New Brunswick NJ area. It was much darker outside compared to the color shown in the photos. Just minutes after we had some strong thunderstorms and rain from that cloud. The temp dipped from 84 degrees in the afternoon to just 60 now. What do u think?

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14689 on: April 10, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
Nice pics. That's definitely a shelf cloud. The line also produced a nice shelf cloud here too. I didn't take any pictures, it was too dark. We had some wind gusts 40-60mph here, then came the rain and lightning. Nice little severe weather event. Bout to get ready for round 2 approaching from the west.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:48:38 PM by TWCCraig »
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
Nice pics. That's definitely a shelf cloud. The line also produced a nice shelf cloud here too. I didn't take any pictures, it was too dark. We had some wind gusts 40-60mph here, then came the rain and lightning. Nice little severe weather event. Bout to get ready for round 2 approaching from the west.
Thanks! Yeah, it's really chilly now. We went from 85 to 55 degrees in just a matter of a few hours. We had some very intense lightning strikes and heavy rain at times, that's what I love the best about spring and summer. Thunderstorms always put me in a good mood~ :D (NYC's first thunderstorm of the year too)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: April 11, 2013, 12:23:21 AM »
Impressive pictures, Victor! :D  Unfortunately, we didn't get any severe weather as expected but got the wintry side of this system here in Norman, with some freezing rain this morning.  Yesterday, the temperature went from 73° to 59° in 20 minutes!  Today, the high did not break the 30s, with temperatures hovering around freezing for most of the morning and early afternoon.  Yuck!

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14692 on: April 11, 2013, 01:00:16 AM »
I took these photos of what looks like a shelf cloud approaching the New Brunswick NJ area. It was much darker outside compared to the color shown in the photos. Just minutes after we had some strong thunderstorms and rain from that cloud. The temp dipped from 84 degrees in the afternoon to just 60 now. What do u think?
Great pics!!

Offline Stephen

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #14693 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
We just lost power 15 minutes ago due to the storms moving through... Looks like its gonna be a long night.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14694 on: April 12, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
We just lost power 15 minutes ago due to the storms moving through... Looks like its gonna be a long night.

That sucks, hopefully you will or have gotten your power back on. :yes:

Been working on my project for Photoshop (Rastering) class. This is just the first part, I haven't gotten deep into the Photoshop elements of it yet. The project is supposed to be for an ad campaign of our own made up product. I chose to do a shoe line I called "ZODIACS" which is pretty self explanatory, your zodiac sign is represented on your customized shoe. The first poster shows all signs customized in different color schemes. I'm a Sagittarius so the sample for that one is the green/lime green shoe. It might be hard to see the signs since I had to scale the image down.

This is the sketch I drew just to give my teacher an idea of what I was going for, I kinda went in a 180 with this project thanks to some suggestions from her.

I have to present this on Tuesday, April 9th so I'm gonna be busy putting the finishing touches on this off and on this weekend. I'll share the finalized project with you all after it's graded. :happy:

I got a 98!  :thrilled: :dance:

I posted the JPEG files of the project below.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:52:22 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Stephen

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #14695 on: April 12, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »

That sucks, hopefully you will or have gotten your power back on. :yes:
Yeah, it came back on about an hour later. However, the power surge seems to have damaged my mother's PC. :hmm: It still powers on and works fine (though I have it unplugged and turned off for now), but it makes a rather strange buzzing sound that appears to be coming from the power supply.

Also, the power surge caused my wireless router to reset its wireless security settings to default (SSID, password, etc.), which I thought was rather strange, since it's never done that before, and we've certainly had our fair share of power outages before. :dunno:

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14696 on: April 13, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
I suffered a cramp in my left calf last night while I was asleep  :pinch:  I woke up almost instantly when I felt the pain and attempted to stand up to put some weight on my calf, which helped a lot. As of this morning my lower leg is still a little sore, but at least it's improving  :happy:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14697 on: April 13, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »
I suffered a cramp in my left calf last night while I was asleep  :pinch:  I woke up almost instantly when I felt the pain and attempted to stand up to put some weight on my calf, which helped a lot. As of this morning my lower leg is still a little sore, but at least it's improving  :happy:
I've had one of those before at night, and it's not fun.  At least you're feeling better now.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14698 on: April 13, 2013, 10:07:39 PM »
Oh, man, I hate those!  :hmm:  Once in a while, I get foot cramps, but it's almost always during the day rather than at night.  The only thing that helps for me is walking.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: April 14, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
I know I'm probably one of a quickly dwindling number of people who still own a Wii and enjoy the voting and Mii contests, but when I found out today that the WiiConnect24 service will be shut down at the end of June my reaction was a mix of sadness and shock.

I've only owned my Wii for 8 months, but it's the little things that one grows to enjoy, and I've really enjoyed these little features.  If nothing else, even on my busiest days, I've always been able to find a few minutes to spend voting, making a Mii for the contest, or even just reading the news.  In about 9 weeks I won't be able to do that anymore.  :cry: