April 27, 2024, 05:04:21 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1769781 times)

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #12540 on: July 27, 2010, 01:41:57 PM »
I know! It's not the same, it's simply go to college and then go home. Sometimes I want to stay there the whole day with my friends and attend nightly events  but I have to take care of family obligations, now that my older sister doesn't live here anymore.

Also... DirecTV just tested out an Emergency Alert System. I never seen them do that EVER. Has anyone seen it?
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #12541 on: July 27, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »
Also... DirecTV just tested out an Emergency Alert System. I never seen them do that EVER. Has anyone seen it?
Yes. I saw one on Directv last year. What channel was it on?
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: July 27, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »

I had Nickelodeon on for my niece. She was watching Spongebob when all of the sudden the alert just popped on. It was a required monthly test for San Diego & Imperial County. It happened twice.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #12543 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
I hope my classes are much better next year as well. The only hassle I see is that Im taking my foreign language next year and drivers ed (which might be kinda bad seeing I have sensitive nerves <_<). Also, sorry if this has been mentioned before as I just dont recall posting about it, but the teacher who gave me my first ever F actually got fired right at the start of Spring Break 2010; not for flunking a lot of students (she never helped them much when they needed it :thumbdown:), but rather for reasons Id prefer not to mention :fear:
You don't drive in drivers ed. That behind the wheel if you choose to take it this school year. What language are you taking? If you say Spanish  :club:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: July 27, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
I hope my classes are much better next year as well. The only hassle I see is that Im taking my foreign language next year and drivers ed (which might be kinda bad seeing I have sensitive nerves <_<). Also, sorry if this has been mentioned before as I just dont recall posting about it, but the teacher who gave me my first ever F actually got fired right at the start of Spring Break 2010; not for flunking a lot of students (she never helped them much when they needed it :thumbdown:), but rather for reasons Id prefer not to mention :fear:
You don't drive in drivers ed. That behind the wheel if you choose to take it this school year. What language are you taking? If you say Spanish  :club:
Down here you get behind the wheel in Drivers ed after you learn some fundamentals. In fact Ive seen people driving on the course in the back of my school as I had to stare at it like 6 times a day for 181 days :P (the breakoff wing I was in was right outside the course ;)) As for my foreign *sigh* the assistant principal of curriculum at my school only has Spanish I and Spanish II available :rolleyes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #12545 on: July 27, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »

I had Nickelodeon on for my niece. She was watching Spongebob when all of the sudden the alert just popped on. It was a required monthly test for San Diego & Imperial County. It happened twice.

What time/day was it? Was it weekly, or monthly? I have only seen EAS's on DirecTV on local channels.....

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: July 27, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »

Spanish? Piece of cake.  :bleh:

Zach, your school only has Spanish 1/2? Why don't they have 3?  Here we have even Spanish Literature which is the highest level. I'm currently in the grammar level, because my grammar is really, really bad.

What time/day was it? Was it weekly, or monthly? I have only seen EAS's on DirecTV on local channels.....

Reread my post.

hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12547 on: July 27, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »
Down here you get behind the wheel in Drivers ed after you learn some fundamentals. In fact Ive seen people driving on the course in the back of my school as I had to stare at it like 6 times a day for 181 days :P (the breakoff wing I was in was right outside the course ;)) As for my foreign *sigh* the assistant principal of curriculum at my school only has Spanish I and Spanish II available :rolleyes:
Right I just meant Drivers Ed is not the same as Behind the Wheel. I was offered it after the general class but waited for a while. Most high schools have what you described. Your school only has Spanish available? Wow! We were lucky at my school. We offered Arabic, Chinese, German,  French, Latin and Spanish. I took a little french and latin for five years. It was great. Our school requires Honor Graduates to take 3 years of the same foreign language. I assumed other places have similar requirements

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
I was friends with one of the 2010 seniors who was in the top of the class and she told me that Spanish III and even AP Spanish were eliminated like 2 years ago!! :o

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12549 on: July 27, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
Tyler, you missed out  :P

Martin is absolutely right  :biggrin:. I also agree with what Mike is saying...I picked ASU because of it's friendly environment, and also because there are some pretty good programs here.
Why visit colleges to party when I can do that at home? :P

I think I made the right choice with my school... I love it, I've made great friends, been to some great parties, etc. Thus why I can't wait to go back! Now if I could only decided exactly I wanted to major in...  :thinking:
That's precisely why I want to choose the colleges I chose to apply for, I want it there for friendliness and the social life. I mean an education is important but you need to be in a friendly atmosphere where you'll make plenty of friends as well. For example, Ivy-league schools tend to be the opposite of that. The majority of the kids there are well you-know-what and tend to be less social then the kids in non-Ivy League schools. Like today I visited Temple University and the atmosphere there seemed quite friendly. There were many friendly students who were willing to help out others. I hope it'll be like that in Rutgers or Penn State as well. I would love to attend a school with a top reputation but the friendliness is also a factor that weighs in heavily as well.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #12550 on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »
We were lucky at my school. We offered Arabic, Chinese, German,  French, Latin and Spanish. I took a little french and latin for five years. It was great. Our school requires Honor Graduates to take 3 years of the same foreign language. I assumed other places have similar requirements
Okay, not cool.  I took five years of French but probably would have dumped some electives to take both French and German.  2 year (4 terms) requirement for any diploma that is "advanced" in Indiana.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: July 27, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
My school offers Spanish, French, German, Russian, Latin, and Itallian. I took two years of basic Level 4 Spanish in 10th and 11th grade.

As for drivers ed, that is part of my school's 10th Grade Health Course. Just this year, they introduced driving simulators and golf carts we can drive in with "drunk goggles" on (with teacher supervision of course). Wow, wish they had all of this when I took drivers ed (2007)! :P

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #12552 on: July 27, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »
My school district offers a wide variety of languages. I am taking Spanish :)

And as for drivers training, the State of Michigan states that you need to be at the age of 15 years and 8 months to start. I am questioning the 8 months... why not just at 15 or 16 :unsure:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: July 28, 2010, 12:58:39 AM »
I thought it was 14 years and 9 months in MI. :unsure:

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube