March 29, 2024, 08:02:24 AM

Author Topic: Follow The Rules  (Read 20973 times)

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Follow The Rules
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
This story makes me sick.  If you can't follow the rules you can't play, end of story.  No, that's not good enough.  I'm an American and I will not be denied.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Teen-kicked-off-basketball-team-for-hairstyle?urn=highschool-304424

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Follow The Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »
This kind of stuff is annoying. <_< Although banning a player because of his hairstyle is a little picky, people need to learn that rules DO apply to them.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:22:35 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This whole "rights" and "discrimination" stuff has gotten way out of hand. Contrary to what anyone will tell you, you do not have a right to...

A house
A car
A marriage license
All the benefits of being an American, without legally being one, just b/c you "work hard" and/or are "trying to raise a family"
A healthcare plan that covers everything
A job
A "decent" wage
To be part of any group you want
To have rules, laws, etc not apply to you b/c you think they're "unfair"
To never be offended by anyone or anything

And anything else not mentioned in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:38:42 PM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This whole "rights" and "discrimination" stuff has gotten way out of hand. Contrary to what anyone will tell you, you do not have a right to...

A house
A car
A marriage license
All the benefits of being an American, without legally being one, just b/c you "work hard" and/or are "trying to raise a family"
A job
A "decent" wage

Totally agree 100%.  This type of stuff is just going to keep getting worse.  Long as you have lawyers out there that don't care about the laws or rules set in place that are only concerned about making a buck. 

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »

A house
A car
A marriage license
A job
A "decent" wage

:biggrin:  :worship:  :clap:  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:33:25 AM »
Here's my opinion. Children are entitled to a free, public education. That education is funded by pubic tax dollars, and those monies are also used to fund extra curricular activities, such as basketball. Since education is mandated to be "fair" (i.e. states can't hold special education students to the same criteria they hold non-special ed students to), then that fairness should be extended to any other element of education funded by tax dollars (sports, etc). In a public school, your rights are abbreviated to included everything up until you are disrupting the educational process (for example, in public you can flip an authoritative figure off and it is freedom of speech, however doing so during the school day disrupts the educational process, thus depriving other children their right to an education). A hair cut does not disrupt the educational process (assuming its not offensive), therefore a school district or district employee (the basketball coach) should not be able to regulate a team member's hairstyle.

I'm not saying he's right for out right breaking a rule set my the team, but it should be able to be challenged without the threat of him being kicked off the team.

Now time for everyone to disagree with me. :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:43:39 AM by Tyler »

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:57:33 AM »
Oh yah. No one has a "right" to an education. Thanks for reminder, Tyler. :P
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 05:58:22 AM »
I can't believe the parents are actually filing a lawsuit for "discrimination" against their son. :rolleyes: This case will surely fail. Just as schools have a dress code and if you choose to violate it you are suspended, extra-curricular sports have a code and you are kicked off the team if you violate that. This is coming from someone who had to cut off a 5 inch mohawk in order to join.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
I can't believe the parents are actually filing a lawsuit for "discrimination" against their son. :rolleyes: This case will surely fail.
I wouldn't be surprised if they won. Courts today are terrible. They could care less about law or the Constitution.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
Oh yah. No one has a "right" to an education. Thanks for reminder, Tyler. :P
You are correct. Education is mandated by the states. Federal law only mandates a Free Appropriate Public Education (Rehabilitation Act of 1973) with respect to disabled students.

Regardless, I still don't feel that any public school or public school entity should tell you how to do your hair.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
Regardless, I still don't feel that any public school or public school entity should tell you how to do your hair.
As far as just being in school goes, okay, I can see that. But activities is another story because that's something you choose to be a part of. I mean, if we're to say that it's not fair to ask someone to have a decent haircut on a sports team, then I guess it's also not fair to allow only smart people in honors classes and groups.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
Here is another situtation regarging this topic about following the rules. For those of you who follow college football, you know who is playing in the BCS National Championship game tonight. Auburn and Oregon. The only reason that the former is playing in this game is because they cheated and have a quarterback who cheated. Nontheless, the NCAA cleared him to play, after all the investigations and even the FBI being involved. His father was shopping him and Cam Newton claimed he did not know his dad was doing such a thing and they believed him and let him off the hook! This guy formerly played second string quarterback at Florida behind Tim Tebow, Tebows sophomore season.

While he was there, he stole laptop computers, cheated on numerous tests. He playing last year at a junior college. The head coach at Mississippi State University, Dan Mullen, the former offensive coordinator for the Gators wanted him to play there at State and he said he was going to State. Then, he gets an offer from Auburn and goes there because Auburn bought him. He is off the hook and elgible to play. Anyone would have to just be stupid not to believe that Cam Newton knew all that time that his father was shopping him. He lied and cheated. He got off the hook because he had the money! So, Auburn is playing in the game with an illegal player.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 06:33:34 PM »
I take you're an Alabama fan, TWCC_Lightning. (I'm also one myself, but I'm an LSU fan first.) :P I do agree, though, that over time the NCAA will dig up all this dirt and prove that Cam Newton was ineligible this whole time. Knowing that, he's going to go pro before that happens to him.

In regards to the topic, I personally think a boy's hair is not a big deal. While I will admit that it does look better in most cases for guys to have shorter hair, I think banning him from the team is a very harsh measure. I know guys who don't look very good with short hair, and I think the hair restrictions on the team need to be lessened, but not stripped. Most 14-year-olds don't have facial hair anyway, but I would say that as long as the hair isn't below the shoulder or absolutely covering the eyes like a shaggy dog, the hair shouldn't be an issue.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »
I take you're an Alabama fan, TWCC_Lightning. (I'm also one myself, but I'm an LSU fan first.) :P I do agree, though, that over time the NCAA will dig up all this dirt and prove that Cam Newton was ineligible this whole time. Knowing that, he's going to go pro before that happens to him.

Just like Reggie Bush, who played at USC is pro now, before all this stuff came out. But, it's not fair that the insitution is punished and Reggie Bush isn't even affected by it (though he gave up his heisman trophy).

And, yes I'm an Alabama fan. Roll Tide. Your team beat us, just like Auburn did.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
Just as schools have a dress code and if you choose to violate it you are suspended, extra-curricular sports have a code and you are kicked off the team if you violate that. This is coming from someone who had to cut off a 5 inch mohawk in order to join.

Good to here. :thumbsup: