April 23, 2024, 05:54:32 PM

Author Topic: Computer and Hardware Chat  (Read 26274 times)

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Computer and Hardware Chat
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
Here is the place to talk about computers and hardware!

What sparked this thread is that I went to the Army Aviation Museum in Fort Rucker yesterday and captured pictures of an SGI Power Series computer that runs the Flight Simulators! I will upload them soon.

Conversation Starters...
Free OS or Proprietary OS (OSX/Windows/Etc)
Nvidia vs. ATI vs. AMD
AMD vs. Intel
OS X vs. Windows
Old Computing

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Computer and Hardware Chat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »
Conversation Starters...
Free OS or Proprietary OS (OSX/Windows/Etc)
Nvidia vs. ATI vs. AMD
AMD vs. Intel
OS X vs. Windows
Old Computing

My father bought his first computer the day before I was born in 1982, and he got me using computers at a very early age.  I taught myself how to touch type before I was even in kindergarten.  I'll attach a photo of me at the computer... too busy to even pose for the camera.  :)

I've definitely become a fan of open-source/free OS.  I started using Ubuntu about a year and a half ago, and, while it's not perfect, it's certainly the best free OS that I've seen.  Very user-friendly (which contradicts my previous opinions about Linux), and, most importantly, it allows contributions from its users.  Windows, on the other hand, does more, has much more money for R&D, and has the biggest names in programming behind it, so the results are going to be better (usually).  However, I think closed-source software in general can consider its days to be numbered.

I'm not even going to rate the Mac.  I just don't like it.  Never have, and I doubt I ever will.  Considering that Apple is the EPITOME of closed-source, I hope it goes first when the open-source revolution takes place!  :)

Offline ndinminot

• TWC Music Expert (1986 thru 2009)
  • TWC fan from 1991 to 2008
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »
I have owned computer since late 2000. But I used computers in the 90s when I was at OSU. the first time I was at a computer was in 1994 with a former friend of mine. I wasnt into computer science much, I guess because I didnt understand it and I was majoring in Atmospheric Science and I thought it didnt have to do much with Geography. Of course I know better. I am taking an Intro to Computers course now for my Business Management online program. I just got an E-machines pentium 3.5 GHz system with a 1TB HD and 3 GB RAM. I hope to upgrade it to 6GB since I have Windows 7 Premium.
No Place On Earth Has Better Weather

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »
I'm amazed at how much computers have advanced just in my lifetime, especially considering I started using computers that had only a black-and-white display and used cassette tapes to store programs and files.  :)

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
Interesting conversation! I remember when I began using a computer, an old AST Laptop with Windows 3.1 Monochrome display and no sound. Floppy drives. I was three or four... I thought it was the best thing ever, then I got older.

I've spanned across Windows ME (crappy), Windows XP (crappier), Windows Vista (crappiest), and Windows 7 (better). I'm currently using an Acer Aspire with Windows 7 on a 250gb HDD, 2gb RAM, and an AMD processor. I find AMD to be a better processor, I've noticed my computer crashes a lot less than when I used Intel. I am planning on upgrading my RAM to 4 or 8gb, the highest level the computer will accept.

I used Ubuntu for several months along Windows and it messed up my BIOS somehow. I had to have almost all hardware replaced as promised under warranty. Speaking of Linux, I'm running CentOS 5 on VMWare with GEMPAK. I don't like GUI Linux or Command-lined Linux... just have my reasons.

Mac OSX. I can't wait to buy my first MacBook. By the time I get my first job, sell my iPod, and save my B-Day and Christmas money, I should have enough... maybe... maybe I'll have to get the Mini instead.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
I remember when I began using a computer, an old AST Laptop with Windows 3.1 Monochrome display and no sound. Floppy drives. I was three or four... I thought it was the best thing ever, then I got older.

By the time I "graduated" to Windows 3.1, I already had a color monitor.  :)  Sadly, I think you missed out on quite a lot by having Windows 3.1 only in monochrome.  It was quite a good operating system for the time.  In fact, it was the first graphical OS that I'd ever used, excluding some valiant attempts on the Sinclair QL.

I finally threw out my last remaining 5¼" floppies about ten years ago, no longer having access to a computer that still used them (excluding my father's venerable QL, but that was a different operating system).  I still keep some files on 3½" floppies, though.  I have far more than I'll ever need, though.  On the other hand, I heard that 3½" disks are no longer being made, so maybe it's a good thing I have so many (about three dozen)... unless they disintegrate from old age before I'd ever need them!

I used Ubuntu for several months along Windows and it messed up my BIOS somehow. I had to have almost all hardware replaced as promised under warranty. Speaking of Linux, I'm running CentOS 5 on VMWare with GEMPAK. I don't like GUI Linux or Command-lined Linux... just have my reasons.

I have two laptops: one for Windows 7 and one for Ubuntu.  However, my father has both on one computer, and he hasn't had any problems with having both on the same machine.  He switches back and forth between the two very easily.  What kinds of problems did you have that messed up your BIOS, and especially your hardware?!  I've never heard of such a thing before!  My first experiences with Linux were command line, and I just kept thinking that this is like DOS, only a gazillion times more complicated, and so needlessly so.  I actually didn't mind using DOS back in the day, as I thought (even at my young age) that it was rather logical and easy to use.  Of course, since Windows came along, I've never looked back (not like I had a choice!), but I still use the command line prompt in Windows for a couple of things.  Anyway, my second experience with Linux, and the first in graphical form, was Knoppix, which I hated.  Actually, I dislike KDE in general.  It's so "bulky" and awkward-looking in terms of its visual appearance.  My third experience with Linux was Ubuntu, which I like very, very much.  The latest version of Ubuntu (11.04) offers both Gnome and Unity operating environments.  This was a very argued-about move that Ubuntu made, but at least this version offers access to both environments, and I switch between the two based on what I'm doing.  It's an easy change that just requires a reboot - and Ubuntu reboots a lot faster than Windows.

lrun_mdv1_boot
That's how to load the main program on a microdrive on the QL.  Am I the only one here "fortunate" enough to have used microdrives?  Granted, they were a step up from cassette tapes, and quite a step - much faster, they held more, and they loaded and saved on the first attempt.  On the other hand, they were so incredibly fragile.  P.S.: "lrun" stands for "load" and "run" in the same command.

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
I remember when I began using a computer, an old AST Laptop with Windows 3.1 Monochrome display and no sound. Floppy drives. I was three or four... I thought it was the best thing ever, then I got older.

By the time I "graduated" to Windows 3.1, I already had a color monitor.  :)  Sadly, I think you missed out on quite a lot by having Windows 3.1 only in monochrome.  It was quite a good operating system for the time.  In fact, it was the first graphical OS that I'd ever used, excluding some valiant attempts on the Sinclair QL.

I finally threw out my last remaining 5¼" floppies about ten years ago, no longer having access to a computer that still used them (excluding my father's venerable QL, but that was a different operating system).  I still keep some files on 3½" floppies, though.  I have far more than I'll ever need, though.  On the other hand, I heard that 3½" disks are no longer being made, so maybe it's a good thing I have so many (about three dozen)... unless they disintegrate from old age before I'd ever need them!

I have two laptops: one for Windows 7 and one for Ubuntu.  However, my father has both on one computer, and he hasn't had any problems with having both on the same machine.  He switches back and forth between the two very easily.  What kinds of problems did you have that messed up your BIOS, and especially your hardware?!  I've never heard of such a thing before!  My first experiences with Linux were command line, and I just kept thinking that this is like DOS, only a gazillion times more complicated, and so needlessly so.  I actually didn't mind using DOS back in the day, as I thought (even at my young age) that it was rather logical and easy to use.  Of course, since Windows came along, I've never looked back (not like I had a choice!), but I still use the command line prompt in Windows for a couple of things.  Anyway, my second experience with Linux, and the first in graphical form, was Knoppix, which I hated.  Actually, I dislike KDE in general.  It's so "bulky" and awkward-looking in terms of its visual appearance.  My third experience with Linux was Ubuntu, which I like very, very much.  The latest version of Ubuntu (11.04) offers both Gnome and Unity operating environments.  This was a very argued-about move that Ubuntu made, but at least this version offers access to both environments, and I switch between the two based on what I'm doing.  It's an easy change that just requires a reboot - and Ubuntu reboots a lot faster than Windows.

lrun_mdv1_boot
That's how to load the main program on a microdrive on the QL.  Am I the only one here "fortunate" enough to have used microdrives?  Granted, they were a step up from cassette tapes, and quite a step - much faster, they held more, and they loaded and saved on the first attempt.  On the other hand, they were so incredibly fragile.  P.S.: "lrun" stands for "load" and "run" in the same command.

I didn't like that I viewed 3.1 in monochrome only, either! I enjoyed using 3.1, but that laptop is long since being gone. It had an unknown problem and didn't even boot.

The BIOS issue.
Since I had Ubuntu installed under Windows, it was put into the BIOS to be a boot option. When I used Ubuntu about 10 times in a row then required to switch back to Windows, Windows wouldn't boot! When I attempted safe mode, no go. Back to try Ubuntu. It wouldn't work because Windows wasn't booting. It was a chain reaction, boot manager checked the system and said I had a BIOS, Memory, and Hard Drive error. That was just great. Glad I had everything backed up on the SeaGate.

The computer runs great after having all of that replaced and hasn't had an error yet (been about 6mo). The bodyframe is still loose because it was literally ripped apart by Acer... I still don't understand why they didn't ship a new computer, it would have been cheaper.

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »
What does ".rar" mean?  What program is needed to open it?

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »
Usually a program like Winrar will open the file. Winrar is a trial and brings up a nag screen after 40 days of use, but still works.

A .rar file is short for Roshal ARchive. It is an archive file, or a packaged file (or various files). Similar to a .zip file.

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
Can a computer have too much "ram"?  Like, too much oil is bad for a car.

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »
It sure can. Maybe it might just be some computers, but my computer has an 8gb limit on RAM.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »
My dads laptop has 32GB RAM and 1 TB hard drive, and it doesn't seem to be causing him any problems :unsure:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
32 GB RAM???  :blink:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
My dads laptop has 32GB RAM and 1 TB hard drive, and it doesn't seem to be causing him any problems :unsure:

32gb? I'll trade this laptop for his! Haha.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
What does he do with that? lol