July 02, 2024, 11:05:58 AM

Author Topic: Adam Sandler  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Adam Sandler
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:36:53 PM »
My wife wanted to see "Jack & Jill" or "Twilight".  Obviously I didn't want to see "Twilight".  "Jack & Jill" it was.  What a dumb movie.  I didn't laugh once.   <_<

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Adam Sandler
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:31:47 PM »
Not surprising. I've never found him to be all that funny. And that movie looks terrible. It's like he's trying to be the white Tyler Perry.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:16 PM »
There are few actors I simply can not stand to see.  Adam Sandler is definitely on that list. :wall:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »
It was kinda funny for the first few movies he did but now they are just lame and predictable

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:45:52 AM »
It was kinda funny for the first few movies he did but now they are just lame and predictable

That's how the business works, sadly.  When studios see what audiences like, they capitalize on that, and that alone, until the same audiences just get tired of it all and stop paying money.  Unfortunately, there's little room for independent thinking and creativity in show business.  Money and profit, not talent and not ideas, are what drive show biz.

That's why I donate generously (probably more than I would otherwise feel comfortable affording) to PBS and NPR.  Non-commercial broadcasting is like a fresh breath amidst the suffocating nonsense of the rest of what's available on TV and the radio.  They're not slaves to the advertisers.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
Poor programming and bad movies have less to do with advertising and more to do with the target audience. Adam Sandler movies are primary directed towards children and man-children. So you primarily get juvenile humor. PBS, on the other hand, is primarily directed towards old people. So the programming is more intelligent.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
PBS, on the other hand, is primarily directed towards old people. So the programming is more intelligent.

PBS is for old people?  Grannies watch "Sesame Street"?  PBS, as you said, is for intelligent programming, though age has nothing to do with it.  Children watch during the daytime, and adults watch in the evening and at night.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
PBS is for old people?  Grannies watch "Sesame Street"?  PBS, as you said, is for intelligent programming, though age has nothing to do with it.  Children watch during the daytime, and adults watch in the evening and at night.
Oh yah, I forgot about the kiddie shows. PBS has children's programming during the day and programming for old people at night.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »
Honestly, I prefer the older Adam Sandler movies like Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer and Mr. Deeds just to name a few. After 50 First Dates, his movies weren't as good imo anymore.

Jack & Jill is by far the worst movie he's done, imo.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
Oh yah, I forgot about the kiddie shows. PBS has children's programming during the day and programming for old people at night.

Yeah, "PBS Kids" had a lot of good cartoons shown during the afternoon time; I used to watch them all the time.  As Eric said, even the cartoons were more intelligent than those you see on channels such as Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network today.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »
The only PBS show I liked to watch at night was Mr. Bean, which came on weekends.  :P
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
Yeah, "PBS Kids" had a lot of good cartoons shown during the afternoon time; I used to watch them all the time.  As Eric said, even the cartoons were more intelligent than those you see on channels such as Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network today.
Agreed. I think we can do without the liberal propaganda on Sesame Street, but whatever. Curious George is great. Much better than the version I watched when I was little.
TWC Classics Webmaster