March 28, 2024, 08:44:54 PM

Author Topic: Weather Channel for Sale  (Read 27337 times)

Offline TrevortonG16

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: AT&T U-Verse
  • HD Channel #: 1225
  • SD Channel #: 225
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Weather Channel for Sale
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
If this means no more longform programming, and more hours of live weather, I'm all for it.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »
What I found from the cnn link
The Weather Channel doesn't reach nearly as many viewers on television. While it's available in almost 100 million households in the United States, the channel's ratings are usually low. On Tuesday, for example, a typically quiet day, the channel only rose about the 200,000-viewer mark once.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/19/media/weather-channel-sale-exploration/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:19:33 AM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 05:48:52 AM »
well if TWC is for sale here's my top choices to buy it out and my reasons of why.

Time Warner: why would they buy The Weather Channel, simple, to own another major network and merge it with the CNN brand, not to mention to keep the channel still based in Atlanta where both TWC and CNN is based at now.

Disney: why Disney, well, they own co-own ESPN and ABC News, and if possible wouldn't be surprise if The Weather Channel under Disney ownership, plus it will help ABC News wing itself off of it's existing deal with Accuweather to do their weather stories on shows like America This Morning, World News Now, Good Morning America and ABC World News Tonight.

CBS: well, they would love to turn their recent partnership with The Weather Channel into something else, as in own the channel, if CBS got a hand of The Weather Channel, it will team up with networks like CBS Sports Net and CBS Sports for details about the weather and how it may affect the sporting events they cover. and not to mention it would be under a group of CBS owned cable nets like CBS Sports Net, Pop! (co-owned by CBS with Lionsgate) and the Showtime/The Movie Channel/Flix suite of channels.

21st Century Fox: why the heck not, Fox owns Fox News Channel and Fox Business, and Fox News is well beloved by a certain political party and their views. but if Fox got hold of the Weather Channel, it would be more weather with a "Fox attitude" when it comes to the coverage as Fox could re brand the channel to Fox Weather Channel and have some cross promotion with the Fox owned channels and when severe weather hits a region with a Fox O&O, expect local coverage from their Fox sister stations, example: if a tornado outbreak hit Dallas, then they would go to KDFW's Fox 4 coverage of it.

Discovery Networks: this one's a dark horse to me, this companies flagship channel Discovery has aired weather  related reality programming before and Discovery has had Jim "gets excited over thundersnow" Cantore host a special with a daredevil doing some stunt. it could be a weird deal, but i Discovery got it, it would just be another channel to air bad reality shows about naked survivalist or rednecks hunting bigfoot in the woods.

Viacom: well, they would want it just cause.

Accuweather: why, simple, this company has been trying to launch a 24/7 weather channel and they have their growing pains and they want to merge TWC and become the biggest authority on weather.

WeatherNation: this upstart had gone through some hard struggles and growning pains since they launch orginally too soon at The Weather Cast on Dish during the 2010 contract fight with TWC, since then, they want to well, grow some more and become the new face of weather coverage. the network alone started up in it's current form in 2011, they added local TV stations as their partners across some cities and be placed on their OTA subchannels and then in 2013, they were added to DirecTV line up and then added earlier this year to Dish's lineup. this one would be a dark horse candidate to buy out TWC as TWC's more established and maybe more pricey then WN.

that's all i can think of that would buy The Weather Channel out from NBC Universal/Comcast and the investors who co-owned the channel with NBCU. again, this is my choices and my options, not actual buyers as Comcast hasn't offically put the channel on the market yet for sale.

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 06:22:45 PM »
well if TWC is for sale here's my top choices to buy it out and my reasons of why.

Time Warner: why would they buy The Weather Channel, simple, to own another major network and merge it with the CNN brand, not to mention to keep the channel still based in Atlanta where both TWC and CNN is based at now.

Disney: why Disney, well, they own co-own ESPN and ABC News, and if possible wouldn't be surprise if The Weather Channel under Disney ownership, plus it will help ABC News wing itself off of it's existing deal with Accuweather to do their weather stories on shows like America This Morning, World News Now, Good Morning America and ABC World News Tonight.

CBS: well, they would love to turn their recent partnership with The Weather Channel into something else, as in own the channel, if CBS got a hand of The Weather Channel, it will team up with networks like CBS Sports Net and CBS Sports for details about the weather and how it may affect the sporting events they cover. and not to mention it would be under a group of CBS owned cable nets like CBS Sports Net, Pop! (co-owned by CBS with Lionsgate) and the Showtime/The Movie Channel/Flix suite of channels.

21st Century Fox: why the heck not, Fox owns Fox News Channel and Fox Business, and Fox News is well beloved by a certain political party and their views. but if Fox got hold of the Weather Channel, it would be more weather with a "Fox attitude" when it comes to the coverage as Fox could re brand the channel to Fox Weather Channel and have some cross promotion with the Fox owned channels and when severe weather hits a region with a Fox O&O, expect local coverage from their Fox sister stations, example: if a tornado outbreak hit Dallas, then they would go to KDFW's Fox 4 coverage of it.

Discovery Networks: this one's a dark horse to me, this companies flagship channel Discovery has aired weather  related reality programming before and Discovery has had Jim "gets excited over thundersnow" Cantore host a special with a daredevil doing some stunt. it could be a weird deal, but i Discovery got it, it would just be another channel to air bad reality shows about naked survivalist or rednecks hunting bigfoot in the woods.

Viacom: well, they would want it just cause.

Accuweather: why, simple, this company has been trying to launch a 24/7 weather channel and they have their growing pains and they want to merge TWC and become the biggest authority on weather.

WeatherNation: this upstart had gone through some hard struggles and growning pains since they launch orginally too soon at The Weather Cast on Dish during the 2010 contract fight with TWC, since then, they want to well, grow some more and become the new face of weather coverage. the network alone started up in it's current form in 2011, they added local TV stations as their partners across some cities and be placed on their OTA subchannels and then in 2013, they were added to DirecTV line up and then added earlier this year to Dish's lineup. this one would be a dark horse candidate to buy out TWC as TWC's more established and maybe more pricey then WN.

that's all i can think of that would buy The Weather Channel out from NBC Universal/Comcast and the investors who co-owned the channel with NBCU. again, this is my choices and my options, not actual buyers as Comcast hasn't offically put the channel on the market yet for sale.

A couple of thoughts... If Time Warner, CBS, 21st Century, etc. were to buy TWC, rebranding it to fit in with CNN, CBS News, Fox News, or whatever would be an awful idea. "The Weather Channel" is a very, very well established brand that is recognized in some form (the network, website, app) by most people. The name is most definitely not the problem. That said, I can't see 21st Century Fox or Disney ever being interested in TWC. Discovery or Viacom would be interesting "outside the box" candidates. Accuweather-TWC would be waaaayyy too huge to be allowed. And what makes you think Weathernation has anywhere close to enough money to buy the behemoth that is TWC?

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
It would fit in with Fox News already, in that all the women on air already wear tight dresses, short skirts, and impossible heels.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »
i can see accuweather buying TWC in the names of boosting their already well-known brand.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
Personally, I don't see Fox being interested in purchasing The Weather Channel. :no: My best guess would be the two parties' different views on climate change: TWC talks a lot about the subject matter, while the mostly conservative-owned Fox (and of course Fox News) denies the existence of it. It's probably some other reason, but the climate change opinions would be a best guess.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline alex979

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 09:51:29 PM »

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »
Still doesn't include the channel, only it's digital and data assets.

Trying to find more information on it. Would this include the app and weather.com website? Or just wunderground.com? What would happen to WUTV? How would selling off the data services impact TWC?

I would love to see, if this goes through, the weather channel rebuild on it's own as a powerhouse of weather knowledge by it's meteorologists, centered around them rather than around technology and gimmicks.

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:14 PM »
From this article: http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/ibm-weather-company-digital-assets-1201628452/

This worries me:

Nonetheless Weather Channel has one of the most widely distributed weather apps, which is the draw for IBM. The Journal also reported that IBM is keenly interested in its weather-forecasting operation. Weather CEO David Kenny is expected to join IBM.

also:

‏@JohnMoralesNBC6  6m6 minutes ago
IBM's $2B acquisition of TWC's website, app, data, and WSI. Big weather deal.

So that leaves the channel, which won't have a website or app...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:32:32 PM by GEAUXmedic »

Offline alex979

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Another source says that the TV network WOULD be included in the sale.
http://recode.net/2015/10/18/the-weather-company-is-in-talks-with-ibm-about-sale-of-digital-assets/

I guess all of this will become more clear soon IF this transaction doesn't fall through. Frankly, I'm not sure how the network could exist by itself, without being attached to the website, app, etc.

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 02:22:39 AM »
Another source says that the TV network WOULD be included in the sale.
http://recode.net/2015/10/18/the-weather-company-is-in-talks-with-ibm-about-sale-of-digital-assets/

I guess all of this will become more clear soon IF this transaction doesn't fall through. Frankly, I'm not sure how the network could exist by itself, without being attached to the website, app, etc.

No, it doesn't.

The Weather Company has been mulling a variety of such plans for more than a year, as has been widely reported, talking to a number of different parties about buying either parts or all of its troika of assets.

Those include: The product and technology division, which offers a range of digital weather information via apps and websites and also data sets; the television division, with the flagship cable property, the Weather Channel; and a large meteorological team, providing weather forecasting for a variety of consumer and also business sectors such as aviation.

It says that the weather company has thought of selling all or part of it's assets. It the lists all of their assets. All reports are saying IBM won't buy the network.

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 05:44:57 AM »
If IBM's buying The Weather Company, do they buy the actual network and partner with a media company where they get minority ownership and they are the ones in charge of the TV side.

if so, i want CBS or Disney to be the media partner/minority owner.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »
It is now confirmed that IBM will buy the website and digital apps, not the TV Channel. David Kenny will leave TWC to be with IBM so the TV channel will get a new CEO
http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/following-deal-to-sell-weather-co-assets-to-ibm-weather-channel-will-continue/275861