April 16, 2024, 01:08:11 PM

Author Topic: Is TWC dying?  (Read 9187 times)

Offline TrevortonG16

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: AT&T U-Verse
  • HD Channel #: 1225
  • SD Channel #: 225
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Is TWC dying?
« on: July 26, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »
With Verizon FiOS dropping TWC from its lineup, I have to ask: are we entering the final years of TWC? I hope not.

Offline Weatherman99

• TWC was great! How about now?
    • View Profile
    • Weatherman99 on YouTube
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Is TWC dying?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
With Verizon FiOS dropping TWC from its lineup, I have to ask: are we entering the final years of TWC? I hope not.
It does seem as if the channel is losing its luster. But the final years? I wouldn't think that The Weather Channel would suddenly end. The channel did get around 97 million viewers earlier this year during the winter storms. I don't know how much longform TWC shows these days, but it does seem as if they're losing some viewers.  :(

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
According to zap2it, The Weather Channel is the cable network which is in the most homes in the United States, as of February 2015 (see link below).  I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/22/list-of-how-many-homes-each-cable-network-is-in-as-of-february-2015/366230/

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 02:50:32 PM »
Also, remember TWC is much more than the TV network. Their website and mobile apps are big money-makers.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:35:13 PM »
Even though I don't watch it much anymore, I hope it continues on the air for many years to come. I'd watch it more if they'd simply give what they're supposed to give - information about weather, not tv shows that they even apologize for if they preempt the long form programming for bad weather.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:37:52 PM by Lightning »
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:39 AM »
http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/comcasts-cuts-value-of-investment-in-weather-channel/268287

"Comcast has taken a $252 million impairment charge on its investment in the Weather Channel. The Wall Street Journal reports Comcast made a quarterly regulatory filing Thursday, valuing its stake in the Weather Channel at $86 million–down from $336 million at the end of 2014.

Moody’s downgraded the company’s debt in April, with Weather Channel facing growing questions about its viability as an independent cable channel. Over the last four years, the channel has lost more than 11 percent of its subscriber base, and was dropped in March from Verizon’s FiOS service."

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »
The Wall Street Journal reports Comcast made a quarterly regulatory filing Thursday, valuing its stake in the Weather Channel at $86 million–down from $336 million at the end of 2014.

Over the last four years, the channel has lost more than 11 percent of its subscriber base, and was dropped in March from Verizon’s FiOS service."

Holy cow! That's quite a drop! :o
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 01:12:39 PM »
I hope TWC wakes up from the coma it's been in. There's one major thing TWC needs to do to repair what it has done to itself, and that's Change.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 02:15:25 PM »
I hope TWC wakes up from the coma it's been in. There's one major thing TWC needs to do to repair what it has done to itself, and that's Change.

Sadly, you have to ask yourself when that ever happens.  Once a course is set, no matter how badly things go, that's usually the course that continues to be followed.  They may intensify changes in that same direction in an attempt to "improve" rather than undo in the hopes that that's what's necessary to fix things, but, obviously, if a given course hasn't worked out up until now, it's not going to work no matter how much more money they throw at it.

It would take nothing short of a total catastrophe for the CEO and others responsible for the bad decisions in the first place to admit failure and that their ideas just weren't any good, and it would take an even bigger catastrophe for the company as a whole to admit defeat and try to turn things around again instead of going down the same dark path.  Usually, though, by the time the catastrophe gets to that point it's already too late and a slow decline turns into a more or less rapid implosion.

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:01:20 AM »
(slight bump)

I hope not. If NBC finally stop owning TWC, then most of the problems caused by them are gonna go away. I hope by the time their 35th anniversary, it will become better again (and I might be regular viewer again if that does happens).

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 01:52:36 PM »
A lot of people here seem to think that The Weather Channel is going to go back to its pre-NBC days just like that if it does get sold, and I can't fathom that happening.  Not even by a long shot.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
Couldn't agree more with Eric. In the event of The Weather Channel being sold to someone else, chances are that the programming direction is not going to change one bit.  :no: I don't believe the fact that NBC 'destroyed' The Weather Channel with constant "weather" related shows; e.g. shows like 'Fat Guys In The Woods' or 'Prospectors'. Whomever is in charge of TWC's programming is probably to blame for the channel's downfall, but continuous arguing and backlash from viewers isn't going to get TWC to reverse their programming decisions. What's done is done.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 08:32:46 AM »
I hear a lot about cable in general dying.  People often cite costs and the internet as reasons, but no one considers that perhaps people don't want the kind of programming that's on cable now.  Case in point: TWC's change in direction. 

Other channels have deteriorated in a similar fashion, but TWC's metamorphosis seems more egregious to me because it's primary purpose was to provide a service — not simply entertainment per-se.  It has gotten away from providing the service in question, which is was weather forecasting and reporting 24/7 on cable.  I don't really think everything will magically go back to the way it was were TWC to be sold, but anything's bound to beat what we have now.  Even late-00's TWC sounds pretty nice now.