June 21, 2024, 04:30:16 PM

Author Topic: Has TWC lost its way?  (Read 12545 times)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Has TWC lost its way?
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
Right now, there is a tornado outbreak unfolding in the midwest, with tornadoes in Illinois and TWC is giving NO coverage, no updates, no nothing, except stupid storm stories hurricane week. They are not doing what they are there to do. It makes me  :angry: I see a hook echo on WGN radar and twc is refusing to give. It's sad. :(
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
Re: Has TWC lost its way?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
This is nothing new. If by lost its way you mean making more money and oddly enough increasing ratings and viewers while sacrificing weather programming,  then yes. They are using the dual feed. Its sad but the topic has been beaten to death. Sad facts are they will do whatever it takes to get their numbers up. People are stupid enough to watch it apparently. As I have said before, who really turns to the Weather Channel over a local news station which covers a local storm in more detail and information then TWC ever could. Just saying anyways

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »
If you don't like it, don't watch it!(tm)

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:49:47 PM »
It does not look like things are going to change anytime soon, so we are just going to have to live with it. 

As Martin stated, local stations are the best way to get information on severe weather in your area. 

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:51:40 PM »
They are selfish...people's lives are more important then their ratings.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:00:07 PM »
I never watched TWC when there's a tornado outbreak in my area, I watch my local ABC affiliate mainly because even when TWC did or does severe wx coverage they are covering the whole region or regions affected as they should be, but when your really worrying about what's happening in your neck of the woods and not two or three states away, it's no point in watching them anyway, but I can understand your frustration.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
I never watched TWC when there's a tornado outbreak in my area, I watch my local ABC affiliate mainly because even when TWC did or does severe wx coverage they are covering the whole region or regions affected as they should be, but when your really worrying about what's happening in your neck of the woods and not two or three states away, it's no point in watching them anyway, but I can understand your frustration.
Exactly. Nobody is their right mind would watch TWC over local coverage if a friggin tornado is on their house. TWC is by far on the last places people are going to get critical alerts. Hurricanes are when TWC really shines since its not as unpredictable and are slower.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
If you don't like it, don't watch it!(tm)
Do you like the current state of TWC Jesse?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
And this reason is exactly why I 100% DESPISE all of TWC's ads promoting how they actively cover severe weather, etc. Like everyone else here, I would NEVER turn to TWC for any type of severe coverage in my area. :no:  Do you think any average viewer tunes into TWC for severe coverage, or do they tune-in to all the :censored: long-form? :angry:

I wish we could have a "chart" or something to show WHAT the average-viewer watches most on TWC. :yes:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:37:00 AM by Martin »

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 11:29:30 PM »
The average viewer wants to see Storm Stories, When Weather Changed History, Cantore Stories, etc.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
TWC doesn't care anymore. Heck, they're becoming an MSNBC duplicate.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 11:59:46 PM »
Like they just said at the end of PM Edition, "Stay safe out there, we'll be back with you tomorrow"

It doesn't matter that there are 10 active tornado warnings. If it's on a weekend, TWC couldn't care less about it. As we all know, weather doesn't happen on weekends.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »
Like they just said at the end of PM Edition, "Stay safe out there, we'll be back with you tomorrow"

It doesn't matter that there are 10 active tornado warnings. If it's on a weekend, TWC couldn't care less about it. As we all know, weather doesn't happen on weekends.
twelve

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 12:11:01 AM »
And this reason is exactly why I 100% DESPISE all of TWC's ads promoting how they actively cover severe weather, etc.  Like everyone else here, I would NEVER turn to TWC for any type of severe coverage in my area. :no: Do you think any average viewer tunes into TWC for severe coverage, or do they tune-in to all the :censored: long-form? :angry:

Actually, the local Boston stations rarely have in-depth coverage of severe weather, except for blizzards and the rare hurricane.  And even in the case of blizzards, we're so used to them that the coverage tapers off after a couple of hours.

In terms of severe thunderstorms, however, the most you'd expect from a Boston station is a couple of minutes at the :00 and :30 before returning to regular programming.

I was in the Orlando area this winter, and their local stations suspended all programming to cover severe weather from the first second until the all-clear.  The Boston area had a tornado watch for most of the afternoon, but there was hardly a peep about it on the local stations, except for during the regular news broadcasts.

So, in my case, I do turn to The Weather Channel during severe weather, because they're more likely to have more coverage on it.  Well, that was until The Weather Channel became an entertainment network, but at least now there's Weatherscan, so I can read the warnings on the bottom of the screen and watch the storms move on radar.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:41:18 AM by phw115wvwx »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »
This whole topic is way too old just like Martin said.  Yes, I wish TWC would show more weather, but there's sadly nothing we can do about it.  Besides, you shouldn't be depending on just TWC for weather warnings.  You should rely more on a NOAA weather radio, internet access, or a local TV station to get the warnings from the National Weather Service.