July 02, 2024, 11:40:24 PM

Author Topic: Great Article in the NY Times  (Read 5822 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Great Article in the NY Times
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:35:28 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/business/media/22weather.html?src=busln

You all ask why TWC shows movies, news and non-weather programming? This quote sums it up
The channel’s ratings are up, at least on a total day basis, with 284,000 viewers watching at any given time this year, up from 231,000 last year and 271,000 in 2008.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
Re: Great Article in the NY Times
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »
That ratings would've been great without all this junk, but I understand their motive of $$

And this article further proves about the popularity of The Weather "Entertainment" Channel. I hung out with a friend yesterday and he told me that he liked the movies TWC showed and Storm Stories on Saturday evenings. Not a good sign <_<

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »
The Ratings will drop soon enough anyway, (most likely a temporary jump) i don't really see the point of putting movies on twc as a $$$ maker.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
The Ratings will drop soon enough anyway, (most likely a temporary jump) i don't really see the point of putting movies on twc as a $$$ maker.
How do you not see that?  It says it right in that article.  People are warming up to it.  Sad, but true.

LocalOnThe8's-- How can you say ratings would be good without all of this junk?  You don't know that for sure.  According to this article, one would think (TWC Execs.) that all of the long-form programming is bringing in more viewers.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
How do you not see that?  It says it right in that article.  People are warming up to it.  Sad, but true.

LocalOnThe8's-- How can you say ratings would be good without all of this junk?  You don't know that for sure.  According to this article, one would think (TWC Execs.) that all of the long-form programming is bringing in more viewers.

I did not see that because i was looking at the "misery" portion of the article.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
"Great article" and "NY Times." Now there's an oxymoron, if I ever heard one! :lol: If people don't think that putting movies and stuff on the network is a bad thing, just look at MTV. That could be TWC in a few years. Any network can get higher ratings by putting on junk. I think they should be more concerned with their integrity, but maybe that's just me. :dunno:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:12:48 PM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »
"Great article" and "NY Times." Now there's an oxymoron, if I ever heard one! :lol:
Haha I was tempted to say something similar :P

:yes:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »
Wherever TWC is getting their ratings from is unreliable. Look at all the comments on TWC's facebook page! We're not the only people who are against movie night.

Cable networks need to stop worrying about ratings and $$$$ and focus more on what they are intended for. It's only 10,000 more viewers than how it was in 2008.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
Wherever TWC is getting their ratings from is unreliable. Look at all the comments on TWC's facebook page! We're not the only people who are against movie night.

Cable networks need to stop worrying about ratings and $$$$ and focus more on what they are intended for. It's only 10,000 more viewers than how it was in 2008.
"we're not the only ones" meaning three to four separate people spamming the crap out of TWC's Facebook page to the point where normal people's legitimate questions get buried and unanswered. Face it... a lot of people are going WAY overboard with the whole 'omg movies suck. omg nbc sucks. RAWR' thing to the point where it's just annoying at this point. Redundant, I know, and I'm aware of free speech and the right to express our opinions, but a lot of people are going about it the wrong way to where it's not clear and concise... It's just spam. I am one who may not like their decision, and let's be honest, it's not all NBC's decision, if they even had an input. But, I don't go flooding/spamming TWC's Facebook page, spamming Mr. Darby's twitter about it. If you want your opinions heard, write an INTELLIGENT, clear ,concise, well written letter to TWC and mail it to them. I guarantee you ,they might actually read it. But don't go spamming across the internet thinking your point will get across, hurting legitimate questions from getting answered. Ratings or not, it's not YOUR network to run and make decisions about, it's theirs. If you don't like it, and don't wish to heed my advice above, then don't watch The Weather Channel. It's clear and simple.

There's my rant for the morning, and I hope it makes sense, as the constant whining gets old after a while. You may hate me, and that's fine, but it needed to be said.

Getting back on topic, I applaud TWC for trying to increase their user base ,to try and increase people's interest in weather. Not a lot of people are planning their weather days at night on the weekend, and the viewer base diminishes significantly ar night, so they want to try to broaden people's interest. In my honest opinion, it's a smart move. HOWEVER, I do have to agree. Severe weather should always come first ,and I have a feeling, TWC is aware.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:18:53 AM by jtmal0723 »

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 10:24:52 AM »
Gee, Jesse. If people's negative comments bother you that much, why don't you just ignore them? :dunno:
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:41 AM »

"we're not the only ones" meaning three to four separate people spamming the crap out of TWC's Facebook page to the point where normal people's legitimate questions get buried and unanswered. Face it... a lot of people are going WAY overboard with the whole 'omg movies suck. omg nbc sucks. RAWR' thing to the point where it's just annoying at this point. Redundant, I know, and I'm aware of free speech and the right to express our opinions, but a lot of people are going about it the wrong way to where it's not clear and concise... It's just spam. I am one who may not like their decision, and let's be honest, it's not all NBC's decision, if they even had an input. But, I don't go flooding/spamming TWC's Facebook page, spamming Mr. Darby's twitter about it. If you want your opinions heard, write an INTELLIGENT, clear ,concise, well written letter to TWC and mail it to them. I guarantee you ,they might actually read it. But don't go spamming across the internet thinking your point will get across, hurting legitimate questions from getting answered. Ratings or not, it's not YOUR network to run and make decisions about, it's theirs. If you don't like it, and don't wish to heed my advice above, then don't watch The Weather Channel. It's clear and simple.

There's my rant for the morning, and I hope it makes sense, as the constant whining gets old after a while. You may hate me, and that's fine, but it needed to be said.

Getting back on topic, I applaud TWC for trying to increase their user base ,to try and increase people's interest in weather. Not a lot of people are planning their weather days at night on the weekend, and the viewer base diminishes significantly ar night, so they want to try to broaden people's interest. In my honest opinion, it's a smart move. HOWEVER, I do have to agree. Severe weather should always come first ,and I have a feeling, TWC is aware.

I applaud the kitty for his excellent rant.  :clap:

If you don't like it, don't watch/listen/read/ etc. Turn off the stupid TV. That's what I do. I'm also getting tired of the constant whining.  :thumbdown:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »

YES! :clap: I honestly have nothing else to say, because these are excellent points!

100% wrong.  I know it may be your opinion, but it's not reasonable.  It's all about the money.  That's what is business is there for, to make money.  10,000 viewers may not be a lot, but it's a lot of money for advertising.  At the station I work at, if we gain just one ratings point, (which I believe is like 7,000 more viewers..it might vary. Don't take my word, it's a rough estimate) the station gets $700,000 for additional advertising revenue.  Just ONE ratings point higher.  So, they do need to worry about ratings and money.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:25:36 AM by wxmediafan »

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Gee, Jesse. If people's negative comments bother you that much, why don't you just ignore them? :dunno:
you do have a point there, but I have ignored them so long that it just pushed me to a breaking point to make the necessary rant after about six or seven months or so for the reasons and points I have made.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »

I actually agree with you. I've gotten past the whole "weathertainment" of the network and even it's bias to being more newsy than usual, but it did and does bother me to see them do something such as show a movie over what could have been hours spent on severe weather coverage during a tornado outbreak. Although it seems like since that incident a few weeks ago, they are more in tuned to preempt movies or long form programming during tornado outbreaks. It's like Kyle said, ratings and money are everything when it comes to making a profit with television networks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:04:19 PM by SnowManiac »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:36:13 PM »
Agreed.