May 10, 2024, 05:54:36 AM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1899045 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #8985 on: December 08, 2013, 10:59:55 PM »
The general consensus in this forum is that I am generally wrong.  Full stop.

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #8986 on: December 08, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »
The whole premise of Weather All The Time is that it's "Weather All The Time" regardless of whether it's local or national weather. My point was they aren't even showing national weather during long form programming or the commercials when those shows are on. That would technically be where the false advertising comes into play if they aren't even providing viewers with that.

I never said anything about it's false advertising because they aren't providing local information for those who have Satellite or those who have HD and no IS2 so I'm not sure where that's coming from. In fact, my statement was strictly talking about viewers who have HD, but no IS2. It had nothing to do with Satellite viewers because I have no idea what those viewers are seeing anyway (unless I saw an image or video).

As I said, there are technological limitations that can't be overcome easily.  Do you think, because of those limitations, TWC never should have advertised "weather all the time" in the first place?  As I already said, from the first day TWC was designed for cable TV, not for satellite. It airs on satellite to gain more of an audience, but the local forecast segments just can't be configured for direct to home satellite television.

I really don't think you're understanding what I've been saying since the beginning. I NEVER said local forecasts should be shown/programmed on the HD LDL or Satellite LDL. I don't know why you keep reinventing an argument I never made in the first place. I don't have satellite, I have cable, but I also have an HD feed that's never had an IS2 and has always showed national weather. The point of both the original and last post I made was over the fact that we're not even getting national weather except only during live programming.

Also, there's no "technological limitations" to displaying national weather on a HD national LDL. They do it during live programming/commercials, they can certainly do it during non- live programming point, blank, and simple.

EDIT: That fact that I've explained my statement clearly three times already has gotten very repetitive, we're just going in circles so I'll leave as it is after this.

As has been pointed out previously, because of the current design of the transparent LDL during longform, there can be no national LDL at the same time, because then the local LDL would be put on top of the national LDL, making it mostly unreadable.  Obviously TWC would rather use the transparent LDL for those who have the HD intellistar and not cater to those who don't, instead of considering a non-transparent LDL during longform.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8987 on: December 08, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
The general consensus in this forum is that I am generally wrong. Full stop.

You put those words in your own mouth, I never said you were wrong. In fact if the transparent LDL was the "technical limitations" you were alluding to in your post, then clearly I was wrong. I wasn't aware something as simple as the transparent LDL would be the issue for the absent national weather info. Obviously I was ignorant to how/why they chose to do this.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #8988 on: December 10, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »
Before everyone gets all hot under the collar about a f**king information bar, could you all please just shut up and consider the fact that maybe, just maybe the engineers at TWC who make it their job to design and run this stuff are working on it? I know...it's a novel idea. The arguments y'all front sometimes are just so pathetic. Some of you really need to take a step back occasionally and realize....you're getting worked up over a cable television network's info bar. Perspective, please.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8989 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »
Before everyone gets all hot under the collar about a f**king information bar, could you all please just shut up and consider the fact that maybe, just maybe the engineers at TWC who make it their job to design and run this stuff are working on it? I know...it's a novel idea. The arguments y'all front sometimes are just so pathetic. Some of you really need to take a step back occasionally and realize....you're getting worked up over a cable television network's info bar. Perspective, please.

The whole thing was partly a misunderstanding on my part. No offense, but it seems like you're one getting all worked up about something that blew over two days ago.

The exchange that occurred between me and Eric is fairly tame compared to some of the other pointless stuff that's been argued or spatted over the past couple of years on this forum.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #8990 on: December 10, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »
I think all of you should take a step back and breathe here.  From my point of view, I'm not wild about the "Weather All The Time" slogan as I've seen multiple occasions where I don't see any weather information during long-form programming, and I have HD without the IS2.  Hopefully, this problem should be eased as more work is pushed forward by TWC and the respective cable companies. 

The reality is that if you want weather all the time, the internet is the only choice.  I don't ever see TWC being able to fully honor that commitment even when they modify the LDL and make improvements, and I'm sure there will be further updates just like we've seen in every relaunch in the past.  At least it's somewhat better now for people in larger populations to get local weather, but I personally have moved on to better sources.  So, let's please move on to another thought, Eric, Max, and Tavores. ;)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: December 10, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
The exchange that occurred between me and Eric is fairly tame compared to some of the other pointless stuff that's been argued or spatted over the past couple of years on this forum.

I agree.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #8992 on: December 14, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
Does anyone know if TWC has used the alternate feed to provide regional storm coverage?
I'm glad the extended live all day storm coverage is national.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #8993 on: December 14, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Does anyone know if TWC has used the alternate feed to provide regional storm coverage?

I'm starting to think that dual feed may be a legend as every time they had extended, it's been national as I have DISH.

As for Extended more often, this may be crazy but, is it easier to get extended approved by TWC's bosses than normal Live PM shows?

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8994 on: December 14, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »
Doesn't the IntelliStar/IntelliStar 2 already have a dual feed for severe weather?
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: December 14, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
They used to have it. I remember a couple years ago being at a place that had Cablevision and FiOS.
Cablevision's TWC's SD feed had storm coverage while the FiOS TWC SD feed had long form programming.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: December 25, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-plans-super-bowl-blitz_b208364

So is this all night no weather coverage or periodically checking in? Because if it's all night coverage that will suck. Although I wouldn't doubt it because TWC is owned by NBC which of course is also holding the super bowl. At least I think?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: December 25, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
the super bowl this year is on fox
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: January 01, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »
Due to the coming winter storm TWC is preempting scheduled 5pm-11pm taped programming.
Kelly Cass
2 hours ago
We've got ourselves a big storm to track as we begin the new year! Kyla Grogan & I will have live updates throughout the afternoon, then it's showtime on The Weather Channel at 5ET!

Kim Cunningham
39 minutes ago
Hi! Join Mark Elliot and me tonight from 7-11 as we bring you the latest on Winter Storm Hercules! Dr Postel will be joining us as well! Blizzard warnings up for some of you!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:49:07 PM by IceManNYR »