March 28, 2024, 05:05:40 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1877266 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #8370 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
Broadcasting live on Youtube
LIVE Hurricane Sandy Coverage - The Weather Channel

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8371 on: October 29, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
MSNBC is using it too, not that it's a surprise or anything, just putting it out there.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #8372 on: October 29, 2012, 09:33:32 PM »
Does this image look familiar to anyone? It's from my local NBC affiliate's webpage....

Also, LFs are done at this point. They're going to commercial breaks on the 8s and returning two minutes later.
I've also seen on it on the local Telemundo affiliate. The full animation for the graphic is basically the same as the 2010 Hurricane Season one, except for the different font.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: October 29, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but TWC is using Titan with the old titlebars right now on the live stream.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #8374 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but TWC is using Titan with the old titlebars right now on the live stream.
I moved your post here since Martin mentioned the live stream above. ;)

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #8375 on: October 29, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
Youtube has a special bar at the top of each page on their site with a link to TWC's live stream.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8376 on: October 30, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
I only watched a little bit of TWC coverage this morning, but Stephanie's "inside jokes" with Mike Bettes were, in my mind, completely uncalled for. :angry:  I understand she's probably running on little to no sleep, but she was acting like a teenager.  Before the top of the hour (9 AM), she was supposed to give more information on the storm and just said something (I don't even remember what) that both Mike and Maria gave stunned reactions to.  Heck, TWC even had to cut her off.

I like Stephanie, but not when she does things like this. :club:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #8377 on: October 30, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
I only watched a little bit of TWC coverage this morning, but Stephanie's "inside jokes" with Mike Bettes were, in my mind, completely uncalled for. :angry:  I understand she's probably running on little to no sleep, but she was acting like a teenager.  Before the top of the hour (9 AM), she was supposed to give more information on the storm and just said something (I don't even remember what) that both Mike and Maria gave stunned reactions to.  Heck, TWC even had to cut her off.

It's the worst time possible to do "inside jokes" on air as many people who may not understand her personality or how things go on a day-to-day basis on these segments are watching TWC right now.  At least 33 people are dead in the United States due to Sandy as of this moment, so now is not the time to act unprofessional.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8378 on: October 30, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

Are you talking about when she said something about Maury and paternity tests? I didn't get it either. :no: Before that Mike and Maria were talking about Jimmy Fallon doing his late night show w/o a studio audience. How the whole Maury and paternity test thing fit into that I don't know. I had the same look on my face as Maria and Mike did when she said that. Even Stephanie realized how awkward she was being. :lol:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Patricius Maximus

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8379 on: October 30, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
You clearly don't know how the television industry works, do you?

You clearly don't know how weather information is properly disseminated, do you? In case anyone has forgotten what this means, this is a Weather Channel fansite. TWC has a mission and a purpose. Being just another television channel or a cash cow is not one of them. If it was we wouldn't be here today, and TWC wouldn't have been created in 1982. Your adopting of the mentality of "if you can't beat them, join them", along with a few others here, leaves me disappointed in the people at TWC Today. I choose a different course, of standing up and being counted in favor of the Weather Channel I have known and loved since early childhood. My stubbornness in and of itself will change nothing, but it's not as if your pessimism is helping to improve the Weather Channel - if anything it gives them more license to destroy it. Should they have commercials? Probably. Do they need commercials? Yes (as opposed to, say, Turner Classic Movies). Should commercials take precedence over local forecasts and weather coverage? Absolutely not, and this is where my point lies. There are other schedules they can adopt that have both LF's and commercials, if they need extra coverage time. They've done it many times before, notably during Storm Alert mode. Shaving off a few ads wouldn't hurt them given the extra ratings. Broadcast networks that are totally dependent on commercials manage to air 90 minute events uninterrupted and still come out with a quarterly profit, and TWC doesn't even need to go as far as shunning all commercials. This goes back to my original point about them being desperate, greedy, or both. If they put their mission first, as they did years ago, you would have seen local forecasts during that timeframe, just as you saw local forecasts during past mega-storms.

I didn't see any of that, but from what I hear her conduct was uncalled for. OCM's should have more personality than they do at this time, but that's the wrong kind of personality. They would have been better off to highlight some of the unusual upper-level winds and temperature differential associated with Sandy, or perhaps the cold snaps occurring all over the Northern Hemisphere. Given how entrenched those two jokers are, I can only hope that the executives will have an epiphany, fire Abrams, and send Al Roker back to NBC where he belongs.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #8380 on: October 31, 2012, 12:47:25 AM »

You clearly don't know how weather information is properly disseminated, do you? In case anyone has forgotten what this means, this is a Weather Channel fansite. TWC has a mission and a purpose. Being just another television channel or a cash cow is not one of them. If it was we wouldn't be here today, and TWC wouldn't have been created in 1982. Your adopting of the mentality of "if you can't beat them, join them", along with a few others here, leaves me disappointed in the people at TWC Today. I choose a different course, of standing up and being counted in favor of the Weather Channel I have known and loved since early childhood. My stubbornness in and of itself will change nothing, but it's not as if your pessimism is helping to improve the Weather Channel - if anything it gives them more license to destroy it. Should they have commercials? Probably. Do they need commercials? Yes (as opposed to, say, Turner Classic Movies). Should commercials take precedence over local forecasts and weather coverage? Absolutely not, and this is where my point lies. There are other schedules they can adopt that have both LF's and commercials, if they need extra coverage time. They've done it many times before, notably during Storm Alert mode. Shaving off a few ads wouldn't hurt them given the extra ratings. Broadcast networks that are totally dependent on commercials manage to air 90 minute events uninterrupted and still come out with a quarterly profit, and TWC doesn't even need to go as far as shunning all commercials. This goes back to my original point about them being desperate, greedy, or both. If they put their mission first, as they did years ago, you would have seen local forecasts during that timeframe, just as you saw local forecasts during past mega-storms.

I didn't see any of that, but from what I hear her conduct was uncalled for. OCM's should have more personality than they do at this time, but that's the wrong kind of personality. They would have been better off to highlight some of the unusual upper-level winds and temperature differential associated with Sandy, or perhaps the cold snaps occurring all over the Northern Hemisphere. Given how entrenched those two jokers are, I can only hope that the executives will have an epiphany, fire Abrams, and send Al Roker back to NBC where he belongs.

I agree that NBC needs to get rid of Abrams and Roker. They are both not professionals. There both a joke.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #8381 on: October 31, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »

I agree that NBC needs to get rid of Abrams and Roker. They are both not professionals. There both a joke.
There is no way in hell they will get rid Abrams or Roker. Please, can we just accept the fact that they are here to stay? As long as they get the ratings, they will continue to host their shows. I don't how many times this topic has been whined about and discussed, but I'm sure it's far too many. We'll just have to get used to it before we have to call the waaaa-ambulance.

Sorry for the rant, but my point still stands. We just have to get used to how TWC is now. As various people on here have stated, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that. It's not the end of the world.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:07:54 AM by Charismatic Applesauce »
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline JBC

• View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:34 AM »
Just curious. How much better ratings are TWC getting now with Roker, Abrams and Bettes than a few years ago when they had Seese, Tesch and Mitchell? 

Also, does the mornings have the highest viewership? 

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
« Reply #8383 on: October 31, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8384 on: October 31, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
Quote from: Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel, October 31, 2012
"Sandy was Jersey's Katrina"
This was a very bold statement for Jim Cantore to make... I'm not sure how I feel about this....