April 16, 2024, 03:07:12 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1886271 times)

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #8355 on: October 25, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
I love the extended coverage, but I don't like how TWC solely focuses on the storm and neglects other weather and storms across the country. I like their incentive to raise awareness, but I don't want them to overhype the storm, either. It's not like a major hurricane going to NYC or anything. I know there is potential for widespread power outages and all, but I get an apocalyptic feel from TWC sometimes when they go into these extended coverages.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #8356 on: October 26, 2012, 01:20:04 AM »
I love the extended coverage, but I don't like how TWC solely focuses on the storm and neglects other weather and storms across the country. I like their incentive to raise awareness, but I don't want them to overhype the storm, either. It's not like a major hurricane going to NYC or anything. I know there is potential for widespread power outages and all, but I get an apocalyptic feel from TWC sometimes when they go into these extended coverages.
This is one of the largest potentially devastating storms the NE has seen in ages. I think its justified for them to focus on it although it would be nice for them to mention other weather. The public needs to be aware of the significant potential for a huge event.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8357 on: October 26, 2012, 05:30:18 AM »
This is one of the largest potentially devastating storms the NE has seen in ages. I think its justified for them to focus on it although it would be nice for them to mention other weather. The public needs to be aware of the significant potential for a huge event.
I feel like it's just going to be an Irene event. People think there's going to be snow, but it won't be cold enough for that. All of my talk shows are going to be preempted which are going to piss me off :P

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #8358 on: October 26, 2012, 11:04:41 AM »
Has anyone seen this Game Day Graphic before?

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #8359 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »
The Digital Media Center is now red for Sandy.

<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8360 on: October 27, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »
I noticed the 7 Day Forecast maps on air have been updated to include fronts/high pressure symbols on it. It looks terrible and makes the maps overall look more cluttered than they already were. I hope they get rid of that soon, it's very unnecessary imo. :no:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: October 27, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I noticed the 7 Day Forecast maps on air have been updated to include fronts/high pressure symbols on it. It looks terrible and makes the maps overall look more cluttered than they already were. I hope they get rid of that soon, it's very unnecessary imo. :no:

Maybe they're trying to recall the old-fashioned surface maps from many years ago, with green/white/orange speckles for precipitation, isobars, and fronts with pressure systems also indicated.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8362 on: October 27, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

Maybe they're trying to recall the old-fashioned surface maps from many years ago, with green/white/orange speckles for precipitation, isobars, and fronts with pressure systems also indicated.

That would be fine if they didn't also have city names and if I remember correctly from when I saw it temperatures for specific cities labeled on the map. That's what makes it look messy and cluttered to me.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: October 27, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
That would be fine if they didn't also have city names and if I remember correctly from when I saw it temperatures for specific cities labeled on the map. That's what makes it look messy and cluttered to me.

I agree.  They're trying to cram too much into one space.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: October 28, 2012, 06:05:09 AM »
The HD Studio is now lit up red, including the video wall. "Alert Mode" has officially begun. Local Forecasts are untouched as of yet.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: October 28, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
Is this a new Station ID?

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
Does this image look familiar to anyone? It's from my local NBC affiliate's webpage....

Also, LFs are done at this point. They're going to commercial breaks on the 8s and returning two minutes later.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:41:50 PM by jtmal0723 »

Offline Patricius Maximus

• View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
LF's do appear to be done, just when they started to air a decent playlist  :dunno:. What a waste of resources. I also don't take too kindly to commercials being of a higher priority than Local on the 8's. I know that they need the revenue, but if they had to cut out something I'd imagine commercials would be first on the chopping block, IF they had their priorities straight, which they obviously do not. Airing trashy music on the few LF's they have left, trashy reality programming, and keeping their 2 minutes of commercials as sacrosanct as Social Security appears to be top priority nowadays. I've watched coverage of the Superstorm as much as anyone else, but it's really the only reason I'm even watching TWC now. I will say, however, that I'm glad that they chose to completely cut out LF's instead of airing that half-baked squeezeback - that's the only thing that could be worse.

And about the revenue, I think if they're desperate enough to fire their good OCM's to shave a few thousand dollars off their salary, and cutting out LF's in favor of commercials during their coverage, I think they should just shut themselves down. Of course, I suppose if they still have Al Roker on board they can't be too desperate.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: October 29, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
LF's do appear to be done, just when they started to air a decent playlist  :dunno:. What a waste of resources. I also don't take too kindly to commercials being of a higher priority than Local on the 8's. I know that they need the revenue, but if they had to cut out something I'd imagine commercials would be first on the chopping block, IF they had their priorities straight, which they obviously do not. Airing trashy music on the few LF's they have left, trashy reality programming, and keeping their 2 minutes of commercials as sacrosanct as Social Security appears to be top priority nowadays. I've watched coverage of the Superstorm as much as anyone else, but it's really the only reason I'm even watching TWC now. I will say, however, that I'm glad that they chose to completely cut out LF's instead of airing that half-baked squeezeback - that's the only thing that could be worse.

And about the revenue, I think if they're desperate enough to fire their good OCM's to shave a few thousand dollars off their salary, and cutting out LF's in favor of commercials during their coverage, I think they should just shut themselves down. Of course, I suppose if they still have Al Roker on board they can't be too desperate.
You clearly don't know how the television industry works, do you?

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #8369 on: October 29, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »
Does this image look familiar to anyone? It's from my local NBC affiliate's webpage....

Also, LFs are done at this point. They're going to commercial breaks on the 8s and returning two minutes later.

It looks similar to TWC's 2010 Hurricane Season Graphics.