May 11, 2024, 07:42:04 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1900148 times)

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #7965 on: April 28, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »
Here is what TWC Studios look like during Severe Weather Coverage with RED in the background.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=405454472805634&set=a.160448867306197.34186.152813984736352&type=1&theater

Well, 4 years later and the lights finally come on!  :bleh: Kinda.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #7966 on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:35 PM »
Though there is no press release, on air today they are mentioning The Weather Channel 30th Anniversary will be celebrated on May 2nd.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #7967 on: April 29, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
Though there is no press release, on air today they are mentioning The Weather Channel 30th Anniversary will be celebrated on May 2nd.

I really liked their "25 Years of Great Weather" campaign.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #7968 on: April 29, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
I loved how that campaign was done, too.  I'm not expecting this 30-year anniversary to top that one, and it probably shouldn't as a 25-year anniversary seems to mean more.

Offline Travis(:

• View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #7969 on: April 29, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
New Show coming to the weather channel called "Iron Men"  :thumbdown: More longform.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: April 29, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »
It's part of a mini series of shows.

From a TWC press release,
"The "Braving the Elements" anthology will feature multiple miniseries, each comprised of four 30-minute episodes, including: "Lights Out," following crews who are the first ones on the scene to restore power during inclement - and often severe - weather; "Turbine Cowboys," featuring the men and women who are pushed to the limit both physically and emotionally as they  brave extreme heights and every conceivable weather condition to work on wind turbines; and "Iron Men" (working title), profiling the iron workers who spend their days hundreds of feet above New York City. Additional titles in the anthology will be added throughout the year."

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: April 29, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »

Hopefully we'll see OCMs of the past. It would also be nice if we can see a vintage LF (4000) with vintage TWC music too.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: April 30, 2012, 02:40:29 AM »
Here's the full press release from TV Newser,
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channels-30th-anniversary-plans_b125045#more-125045,

The Weather Channel Celebrates its 30th Birthday on All Screens
    Leading Weather Provider and Digital Giant Marks Day with Special Programming On-air and an All-new Look for weather.com

ATLANTA (April 26, 2012) – The Weather Channel® companies (TWCC) turns 30 next week, having aired its first broadcast 30 years ago on May 2, 1982. To celebrate, the weather leader will air special programming across platforms – television, online and mobile – including a look back at the first 30 years of The Weather Channel, how technology and weather forecasting has changed, coverage of the most significant severe weather events, and bloopers through the decades.

While The Weather Channel recognizes its first 30 years, the company will also celebrate its future with a complete relaunch of its suite of local pages on weather.com starting May 2. The all-new site will offer a more personalized weather experience to help consumers better forecast and plan their lives, with a simpler design and interface, more localized news content, increased social integration, enhanced maps, and more. With the relaunch, 95 percent of weather.com’s 1 billion monthly page views will have a new look.

On May 2, special 30th anniversary content on The Weather Channel and weather.com online and on mobile includes:

· A look back at the first 30 years – changes, significant weather events, brand evolution, and more as well as a look at the significance and historic nature of The Weather Channel

· Decades of style – Check out weather.com for a review of fashion. Think big hair, shoulder pads, and Jim Cantore with hair

· Interviews – perspectives from the original meteorologists from the first 1982 broadcast, Andre Bernier and Bruce Edwards, CEO David Kenny and other experts

· In their own words – some most memorable moments and reflections from current on-camera meteorologists and TWCC employees

· Well wishes – Celebrity birthday wishes and congratulations

· Bloopers – On-air goofs, mistakes, and funny moments

· The next chapter – a look ahead at what we expect for the future of forecasting, television and The Weather Channel

· Social media integration – birthday wishes and photos via Twitter and Facebook. On GetGlue, anyone who checks in to The Weather Channel on May 2 will receive a limited edition sticker celebrating 30 years of The Weather Channel.

From its first broadcast in 1982, many said The Weather Channel would not last. TWC almost shut down within its first few years, but has grown to be one of the most trusted, well known media brands and an industry and technology leader with scale that is second to none. TWCC reaches 168 million unduplicated consumers each month, is the most-distributed cable network, and offers the No. 2 most popular app across all smartphones and tablets. It is a top brand with international direction, while still being a relevant local storyteller to an engaged audience. Through its transformation, an adaptable team of risk takers and experts has succeeded in making The Weather Channel an expected and desired name on any device.

The Weather Channel brand has evolved into a very different company than what began in 1982. The future is bright, with a focus on digital and mobile dominance, international growth, and a new era in original content.

On May 2, help celebrate its first 30 years by tuning in to The Weather Channel and visiting the new weather.com. For more information, follow The Weather Channel on Twitter (www.twitter.com/weatherchannel) or Facebook (www.facebook.com/TheWeatherChannel).

###

About The Weather Channel Companies

The Weather Channel companies (TWCC) are made up of The Weather Channel® television network, The Weather Channel digital properties, and WSI. The Weather Channel is based in Atlanta and is seen in more than 100 million U.S. households. TWCC also operates Weatherscan®, a 24-hour all-local weather network; The Weather Channel Radio Network; and The Weather Channel HD. The most popular source of weather news and information, TWCC properties reach 60 million monthly Web consumers (weather.com and Desktop) and 32 million monthly mobile users (mobile Web and applications) and offers the second most popular mobile app on all smartphones. WSI, headquartered in Andover, MA, primarily provides business-to-business weather services, particularly for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. TWCC is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.weather.com/press.

SIDEBAR: THE WEATHER CHANNEL INNOVATION TIMELINE

Year

Milestone

Launch of The Weather Channel – the first 24-hour network devoted to weather, and the first national television network to automatically customize content based on viewer location

9.4 million TV households

25 million TV households (upgrades on-air talent; adds anchors & more video footage)

27 million TV households (1st long-format programming)

37 million TV households (begins breaking news coverage)

50 million TV households

Weather.com launches

1ST experiment with social media, as customers submit questions that are later answered on TV and online

Weather forecast innovation offers updated forecasts available every 15 minutes on TV and online

Mobile content launches (Palm PDA) – the first ubiquitous availability of content on TV, online and wireless

Mobile content launches (phones); 73 million TV households; Launched custom forecast tool; Launch of Weatherscan, a 24-hour local weather station

Launch alert products – first provider to deliver custom weather alerts to desktop, mobile and landline phones

85 million TV households; Enhance social involvement by inviting viewers to upload their own videos, to be shared online

Launches paid mobile applications; first availability of customized weather information for OnStar mobile services

Launch first primetime series Storm Stories; Launch patented HIRADtm system for unsurpassed accuracy of weather condition information and increasing frequency of updated forecasts.

25 million monthly unique users on weather.com; Nielsen-rated top 10 online site

89 million TV households; ratings record during Hurricane Katrina (2.2 total day rating); participate in MobiTV launch (wireless)

90 million TV households; introduce more long-form programming; begin to customize advertising content by target audience and launch weather-triggered advertising opportunities on all platforms (TV, online, mobile)

96 million TV households; launch Weather Channel HD; weather.com reaches 35 million monthly unique users; weather mobile averages 6 million users/mo (#2mobile website behind Yahoo!); Launch geo-targeted advertising based on weather maps on weather.com; Integration with Electronic Arts games enables real-time weather integration with live gameplay (NCAA Football, PGA Golf, NFL Football games)

98 million TV households; ownership change from Landmark to consortium owned by Blackstone Group, Bain Capital, NBC Universal; add video advertising availability on mobile web

99 million TV households; launch of Wake Up with Al, morning primetime show; first availability of segmentation targeting for advertisers on mobile web

100 million TV households; first launch of private cross-platform ad exchange

50 million cumulative mobile app downloads

Launch of Weather Social, incorporation of social media inputs to programming online & on TV

75 million cumulative mobile app downloads; 60 million monthly users on digital properties (PC and desktop)

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #7973 on: April 30, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »
"· A look back at the first 30 years – changes, significant weather events, brand evolution, and more as well as a look at the significance and historic nature of The Weather Channel"

This section interests me!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: April 30, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
Excuse me for this, but why the :censored: is TWC not pre-empting right now?  There are numerous tornado warnings out.  I don't care if 8 PM gives me a different story.  I want that live coverage NOW! :furious:

Tornado Central?  Yeah, I don't think so.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #7975 on: April 30, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Excuse me for this, but why the :censored: is TWC not pre-empting right now?  There are numerous tornado warnings out.  I don't care if 8 PM gives me a different story.  I want that live coverage NOW! :furious:

I've learned for quite some time it's better not to understand their logic and reasoning for a lot of things they choose to do and not do. Just shake you fist at the TV, lower your head, shaking it in shame and disgust, turn off the TV and quickly find some local streams covering the severe weather in that area.  :yes:

I'm still amazed that after 30 years, noone has the hailstones to challenge TWC (WeatherNation doesn't count, they're staying more exclusive to the internet as far as I know) If no one wants to do it, that leaves me no choice, I'll have to do it. How does "The Weather Zone" sound? :P

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #7976 on: April 30, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »

I've learned for quite some time it's better not to understand their logic and reasoning for a lot of things they choose to do and not do. Just shake you fist at the TV, lower your head, shaking it in shame and disgust, turn off the TV and quickly find some local streams covering the severe weather in that area.  :yes:

I'm still amazed that after 30 years, noone has the hailstones to challenge TWC (WeatherNation doesn't count, they're staying more exclusive to the internet as far as I know) If no one wants to do it, that leaves me no choice, I'll have to do it. How does "The Weather Zone" sound? :P
Weathernation tried to challenge TWC as The Weather Cast on Dish, but failed. From the first moment I saw it The experence wasn't there.  Great Weather Channel, But not great enough to replace TWC.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: April 30, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
And just wow, this is just the worst night for them to be doing this :no: for those who remember two years ago on this same night... :furious:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: April 30, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »
And just wow, this is just the worst night for them to be doing this :no: for those who remember two years ago on this same night... :furious:

Yes guys, as Zach has pointed out and told me, this is the exact two-year anniversary of the horrid FaaF incident, when TWC refused to report about tornadoes in Arkansas that did, unfortunately, cause deaths.  Jim, thankfully, gave his two cents about the situation, but this obviously did not help tonight.  It's very ironic that this incident occured on the same date.

And, we can't use a "general public" excuse here, because TWC is receiving some angry posts on their Facebook page.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
I think it's safe to call April 30th "National Severe Weather Coverage Avoidance Day" :bleh: