March 28, 2024, 08:41:35 AM

Author Topic: Major hailstorm in eastern Nebraska  (Read 6047 times)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Major hailstorm in eastern Nebraska
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:16:42 AM »
Originally posted in the TWCC Facebook group:

Last night, around 3am, I experienced what was probably the most intense hail storm of my life! Hail is somewhat common in Nebraska during spring and summer, but storms that nearly/completely cover the ground are virtually unheard of.

I would have taken pictures/video myself, but because we were also experiencing heavy rain, I thought the heavy downpour sound I was hearing was rain and some hail. I had no idea the downpour was the hail! So these pictures come from our local NBC affiliate on Twitter.

An interesting fact about this storm was that the hail core collapsed shortly before reaching Omaha (where I live). So we were set to get a general thunderstorm when it got here. However, the storm intensified and redeveloped its hail core. Reports before the collapse were golf ball sized hail. I guess because the storm weakened, then intensified, the hail didn't have time to get too big (all reports I've seen here were dime sized).
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline ap215

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Major hailstorm in eastern Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
Wow amazing.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
This is so cool!  Hail covering the ground so it looks like snow is something I wouldn't mind experiencing in my lifetime (provided any damage is minimal to non-existent).  Since it looks like the hail in the pics isn't too big, hopefully you didn't sustain too much (or any) damage.

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
I would like to experience something like that as well.  Dumb question, did all the hail keep it cool?