March 28, 2024, 07:59:46 PM

Author Topic: Winter Storm Cleon  (Read 2462 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Winter Storm Cleon
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
I'm surprised this storm hasn't garnered much attention considering there are quite a few members here who will be greatly affected. Especially if you live in an area expected to see ice which is a large area from OK to KY.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

Re: Winter Storm Cleon
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
I moved your topic here as it's a good fit for this winter weather area.  While I won't comment on the name, this system might give my area some freezing rain this weekend.  I hope it doesn't happen, or it'll be a mess for a lot of people.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:48 PM »
I'll believe it when I see it... :P

This past winter, we were under a Winter Storm Warning and were supposed to get blizzard-like conditions.  Well, for whatever reason, a slot of warmer, drier air decided to invade Norman, and all we got was a light cold rain with some sleet.  Areas around here got 2+ inches of snow, though.  So I'm a little skeptical this time.  Winter weather is so dang hard to predict, especially when models never agree.  Everything has to come together, and if the air is just a little to dry or warm at the surface or at upper levels, then throw the entire forecast out the window.

What is crazy is that we're already talking about our second winter storm to impact Oklahoma and the southern Plains this season, and it's only the beginning of December!  This is going to one heck of a winter if these cold fronts continue to bring winter weather to the area.

What is almost certain to play out is the dangerously cold temperatures.  We're looking at highs below freezing for the next few days and lows in the single-digits Saturday morning!  (Norman is forecasting a low of 9 degrees Saturday morning.)  If this occurs, I believe it will be the coldest temperature I've ever experienced. :brr:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:59:29 PM by WeatherWitness »

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:44:49 AM »
North Texas too is gonna fell Cleon's wrath too. this is gonna be the coldest cold snap since the Groundhog day Blizzard of 2011 where the activities/events in the DFW area which was the host city of Super Bowl 45 were affected by that storm's affect. we also had a full week lost for several school districts in the area because of the dangerous roads. and temps in the teens/single digits in the area during the peak of the cold snap part of the system. it was pretty bad, and what made it worse was that the Texas Grid that is ran by ERCOT (The Electric Reliability Council of Texas) forced several power companies in the state to do rolling blackouts in the morning of February 2nd of that year. it was pretty miserable that day, and to add insult to injury, i was fighting a nasty cold during that cold snap too. i hope history don't repeat itself as in ERCOT better be ready this time after what happen last time it got this cold in North Texas.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
One of the power generators in ERCOT did get a sizable fine for that, though.  So, maybe they've learned their lesson.

During the fall, ERCOT initially projected that electricity supply would be sufficient for the winter.  However, that was when a mild winter was predicted, which seems to have gone out the window now.  Thankfully, wind generation has grown and is helping to pick up the slack left behind by the mothballing of older coal plants.

I'm under a Winter Weather Advisory now with the possibility of 1" to 2" of the white stuff.  There's a chance of single-digit lows and a five-day stretch of below-freezing temperatures.  Wind chills could reach the negative teens.  Hopefully the power doesn't go out.  Apparently, my part of the state's not on ERCOT; I'm not sure whether or not that's a good thing.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
We see this year after year with arctic cold fronts, but the extreme temperature gradients across the US is nothing short of MIND BLOWING! :o Today was the first time in two months we had to turn the heat off because it was too warm and muggy outside.

I hope everyone is staying safe, I heard that areas not far NW of Fort Smith, AR have already reported 1/2 inch of ice!

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
They say it could get down to the mid single-digits tonight.  The sky's going to partially clear out, which will enhance radiational cooling.  The snow threat's just about over, though.  I'm not under any advisories right now.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »

Great to see that white stuff on the ground! B)