March 29, 2024, 01:38:50 AM

Author Topic: STAR 22581 (Time Warner Cable, Buffalo, NY) Narration Issue  (Read 2528 times)

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
For the past few months, the narration on STAR 22581 here in Buffalo has occasionally been choppy or frozen altogether. It usually happens during the extended forecast descriptions, although it does not appear that the STAR itself is freezing, just the narration. I've noticed an increase of Local Forecasts with this issue as of late. Any idea what is going on?  :blink:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: STAR 22581 (Time Warner Cable, Buffalo, NY) Narration Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:10 PM »
I'd hate to be an attention grabber, but this is happening on a lot of STARs, especially during the text-LF. It probably happens because of the sponsor bug animations and the movie animations on the right-hand side of the text-LF.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:30:43 AM »
I'd hate to be an attention grabber, but this is happening on a lot of STARs, especially during the text-LF. It probably happens because of the sponsor bug animations and the movie animations on the right-hand side of the text-LF.
Define a lot? Ive never seen it happen

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:09:27 AM »
Aaron has seen it, Tavores saw it yesterday (IIRC), and I've been on Skype calls with another TWC fan (who is a member here) that has seen it. I, however, haven't seen it when I get around to viewing a local IS. :no:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:18:15 AM »

This is the sort of thing that happens (skip ahead to the text based). It was rampant last summer and then became on and off during the winter.
Local Forecast with Audio Issues- September 20, 2008 7:58 PM EDT

Notice how in this video it causes the crawl to slow down and lag. Also notice that it causes the video to run over YWT to a few seconds
Local Forecast- 4/19/10 7:58 AM EDT

And here's another sample from the E.L.
E. Lansing Intellistar- First Day of Fall 2009 4:38 PM EDT

It's really not anything new, and it's more an issue with some Intellistars than it is for others. With the exception of decommissioning Intellistar units with faulty narration issues (and replacing them), I doubt there is much that the STAR team can do about it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:10:01 PM by wxntrafficfan »
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond