September 22, 2018, 04:22:59 PM

Author Topic: Weatherscan Topic  (Read 105172 times)

Offline Tyler

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Weatherscan Topic
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2017, 01:20:31 PM »
Weatherscan has disappeared from Xfinity in the Pittsburgh metro area.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
  • Meteorology major, broadcasting minor
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
Even though I’m in college now 100 miles away, I still like to keep up with what’s going on with the cable system at home and I saw their meeting agenda a couple of days ago included a “Weather Channel Renewal” section and assumed that any renewal of their TWC affiliation agreement would include the forced removal of Weatherscan. This is apparently not the case. The agreement (negotiated through the NCTC) actually extends carriage of both TWC and Weatherscan from the original cut-off date of February 28, 2019 to February 28, 2022. Also, by entering this agreement a year early, allows them to save money on buying the channels wholesale. Seems like my theory is correct in that TWC isn’t forcing anything and they’re just letting cable companies decide when to get rid of it based on viewership numbers, bandwidth concerns, overhead costs, etc. This may change in the future, but it does appear Weatherscan will live in Frankfort for a few more years.
BG TWC Info:
Channels 38, 430, 974
Provider: Charter Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable, formerly Insight Communications)
STAR: Intellistar 2
WKU Residence Hall Cable TWC Info:
Channel 27.2
Provider: Dish Network

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Even though I’m in college now 100 miles away, I still like to keep up with what’s going on with the cable system at home and I saw their meeting agenda a couple of days ago included a “Weather Channel Renewal” section and assumed that any renewal of their TWC affiliation agreement would include the forced removal of Weatherscan. This is apparently not the case. The agreement (negotiated through the NCTC) actually extends carriage of both TWC and Weatherscan from the original cut-off date of February 28, 2019 to February 28, 2022. Also, by entering this agreement a year early, allows them to save money on buying the channels wholesale. Seems like my theory is correct in that TWC isn’t forcing anything and they’re just letting cable companies decide when to get rid of it based on viewership numbers, bandwidth concerns, overhead costs, etc. This may change in the future, but it does appear Weatherscan will live in Frankfort for a few more years.
I think in your case in Frankfort, Weatherscan has more decent views due to it being in a lower channel number (19) and being in a lower tier. Most Comcast markets required one of the highest digital packages and had the channel in the 100s or higher; that alone (but also other reasons) didn't draw a lot of viewership.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
  • Meteorology major, broadcasting minor
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #588 on: March 22, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
I think in your case in Frankfort, Weatherscan has more decent views due to it being in a lower channel number (19) and being in a lower tier. Most Comcast markets required one of the highest digital packages and had the channel in the 100s or higher; that alone (but also other reasons) didn't draw a lot of viewership.
And that, I think, is the big takeaway. But with new owners, who knows what will happen now.
BG TWC Info:
Channels 38, 430, 974
Provider: Charter Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable, formerly Insight Communications)
STAR: Intellistar 2
WKU Residence Hall Cable TWC Info:
Channel 27.2
Provider: Dish Network

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #589 on: March 22, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
And that, I think, is the big takeaway. But with new owners, who knows what will happen now.
Hey, maybe Weatherscan will get an upgrade! :P (sorry, I had to)

More than likely, they'll just leave it as is. Only change I could see is more of Cantore's narrations being added, if that hasn't already happened yet.

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #590 on: March 22, 2018, 11:41:14 PM »
Back when my market was served by Comcast, Weatherscan was (until Time Warner Cable's takeover in September 2006) also on a lower tier here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Albeit on channel 99, but anyone with standard analog cable could still receive it.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #591 on: June 20, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »
Came across a transcript of a recent Comcast shareholders meeting where the CEO was asked if Weatherscan would return to Xfinity headends:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4180780-comcast-corp-cmcsa-ceo-brian-roberts-hosts-annual-meeting-shareholders-transcript

The juicy quote from the meeting (for those who don't want to go thru six pages):

Quote from: SeekingAlpha / Comcast Corp.
Arthur Block

Next question. In view of the recent unusual weather and the fact that the weather channel fails to provide radar and other important local information, why can’t Comcast restore weather scan to its viewers? Seeing a crawler with local information is not adequate.

Brian Roberts

Thank you for your comment. I will pass it on to our cable division. But I don’t believe we have plans to return on weather scan at this time but thanks for the input.

Hey, at least it got a mention...although we all knew what answer to expect. :P