March 28, 2024, 07:38:56 AM

Author Topic: Weatherscan Topic  (Read 245745 times)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Weatherscan Topic
« Reply #570 on: September 05, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »
Apologies for the double post, but I just read that Xfinity is dropping Weatherscan from the rest of their systems towards the end of October. Can anybody verify this?

Might be in place of Local Now i haven't heard of a drop.

Offline WeatherSTAR

• Certified Cabbl Dealer™
  • Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
  • HD Channel #: 1101
  • SD Channel #: 8
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22941
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #571 on: September 05, 2017, 05:31:30 PM »
Apologies for the double post, but I just read that Xfinity is dropping Weatherscan from the rest of their systems towards the end of October. Can anybody verify this?

There are two cases of what could potentially be a retirement of Weatherscan on Xfinity on October 10, 2017. I am not sure if these are limited to these two users' headends or if this is a universal retirement. Still something to watch, this could be bad :no:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Weatherscan/td-p/2955481
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Channel-lineup-update-WeatherScan/td-p/2947330

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #572 on: September 05, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »

There are two cases of what could potentially be a retirement of Weatherscan on Xfinity on October 10, 2017. I am not sure if these are limited to these two users' headends or if this is a universal retirement. Still something to watch, this could be bad :no:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Channel-lineup-update-WeatherScan/td-p/2947330
Thanks for those links. I read this on DSLReports originally, where a user posted a channel update and mentioned it'd be gone either on the 10th or the 30th. I wasn't thrilled about this when I read it, but looking at it from TWC's point of view - except for a few rare cases, ratings for it are in the toilet (why the hell do they measure ratings for it anyway? that's just moronic). Barely any revenue, lack of popularity, smartphones (big factor in this), people getting rid of cable, and of course, it being dropped practically everywhere - I wouldn't be shocked if it was killed off after this.

Looking at it from a nostalgic point of view - I'd be completely upset if Weatherscan was shut down. At least we have Brian's emulator to help fill the void. ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:52:35 PM by Jonathon »

Offline WeatherSTAR

• View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
« Reply #573 on: September 06, 2017, 11:47:45 PM »

Thanks for those links. I read this on DSLReports originally, where a user posted a channel update and mentioned it'd be gone either on the 10th or the 30th. I wasn't thrilled about this when I read it, but looking at it from TWC's point of view - except for a few rare cases, ratings for it are in the toilet (why the hell do they measure ratings for it anyway? that's just moronic). Barely any revenue, lack of popularity, smartphones (big factor in this), people getting rid of cable, and of course, it being dropped practically everywhere - I wouldn't be shocked if it was killed off after this.

Looking at it from a nostalgic point of view - I'd be completely upset if Weatherscan was shut down. At least we have Brian's emulator to help fill the void. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Xfinity is indeed getting rid of it. Truth be told, I haven't watched TWC (or even Weatherscan) that much until recently with the recent storms. However, Intelliguy (Mike) had said he called his Comcast representative, and they said that it would not be dropped in the Philadelphia area. I'm not sure if it'll be removed where I'm at, but from what is known right now, Detroit and Atlanta are definitely no longer going to have Weatherscan. The representative he spoke to confirmed this.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #574 on: September 07, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »
This doesn't surprise me at all. :no:  Comcast already dropped the axe on Weatherscan on their west coast headends a few years back, and I had a feeling they would eventually do the same in more markets.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #575 on: September 16, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »
So when my cable company re-did their major contracts in 2010, they signed a then-10-year deal for rights to Weatherscan. Then, in 2015, they signed a new agreement to carry The Weather Channel and at that same time, opted into the NCTC agreement for Weatherscan, where they previously dealt directly with TWC. It would appear that that agreement is up on February 28, 2019. I'd be interested to see if TWC is simply letting the units continue on until the last carriage agreement expires and not including it in new ones or if they will begin to actively retire them over the coming months.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 16, 2017, 10:23:29 PM »
So when my cable company re-did their major contracts in 2010, they signed a then-10-year deal for rights to Weatherscan. Then, in 2015, they signed a new agreement to carry The Weather Channel and at that same time, opted into the NCTC agreement for Weatherscan, where they previously dealt directly with TWC. It would appear that that agreement is up on February 28, 2019. I'd be interested to see if TWC is simply letting the units continue on until the last carriage agreement expires and not including it in new ones or if they will begin to actively retire them over the coming months.
I'm surprised they even have it as an option still. That threw me for a loop.

Seeing as how TWC couldn't care less about Weatherscan, I don't think they know what they're going to do with it. I'm guessing they'll leave it up to the cable co's. Would make much more sense than retiring every Weatherscan unit at once like they did with the domestic IS1's, IMO.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 25, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
Guess we can keep piling it on - apparently ALL remaining Xfinity headends that still carry Weatherscan are dropping it on Nov. 6th. Saw some, *ahem*, rather colorful posts on Xfinity's Facebook page and forum about it.

Still going with my theory that it'll die off when other cable companies drop it, or when the IS units begin to croak. I highly doubt TWC's going to put in the effort to shut it down themselves.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #578 on: September 25, 2017, 10:25:50 PM »
Guess we can keep piling it on - apparently ALL remaining Xfinity headends that still carry Weatherscan are dropping it on Nov. 6th. Saw some, *ahem*, rather colorful posts on Xfinity's Facebook page and forum about it.

Still going with my theory that it'll die off when other cable companies drop it, or when the IS units begin to croak. I highly doubt TWC's going to put in the effort to shut it down themselves.

If Local Now didn't exist, I would agree. Is there any possibility that service could replace Weatherscan? It's obviously not exactly the same, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 26, 2017, 06:05:32 AM »
If Local Now didn't exist, I would agree. Is there any possibility that service could replace Weatherscan? It's obviously not exactly the same, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened.
I don't think it would work. Local Now, despite the name, isn't as localized as most people would like it. Weatherscan on the other hand can be localized heavily.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »
I saw it coming... to be honest, I don't really care anymore... I'll be switching to Verizon soon, and plus isn't that what the emulator's for? ;)

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 28, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »
I saw it coming... to be honest, I don't really care anymore... I'll be switching to Verizon soon, and plus isn't that what the emulator's for? ;)
Well, of course. :P I'm just posting this stuff for people who aren't in the loop, that's all ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:10:27 PM by Jonathon »

Offline WeatherSTAR

• View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
« Reply #582 on: October 24, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Xfinity is indeed getting rid of it. Truth be told, I haven't watched TWC (or even Weatherscan) that much until recently with the recent storms. However, Intelliguy (Mike) had said he called his Comcast representative, and they said that it would not be dropped in the Philadelphia area. I'm not sure if it'll be removed where I'm at, but from what is known right now, Detroit and Atlanta are definitely no longer going to have Weatherscan. The representative he spoke to confirmed this.

Well, I was right in my prediction that Weatherscan wouldn't last for much longer here. Weatherscan is being dropped from the lineup on December 5th.. the end is nigh!

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245