March 28, 2024, 05:49:19 PM

Author Topic: Weatherscan Topic  (Read 245791 times)

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Weatherscan Topic
« Reply #540 on: July 15, 2016, 11:45:18 PM »
Weatherscan now reads alerts on the weather bulletins (instead of just using the generic message). Video to come.

This is very much welcome news! I should have thought to check last night when we were under a severe thunderstorm warning? Was it on the main audio feed or the DVS/SAP feed?

Also noticed that the copyright changed during the quarter hour segments. All references to The Weather Channel are gone and have been replaced with "Weather Group Television" (i.e. "Weatherscan is brought to you by Weather Group Television and Frankfort Plant Board Cable"). Looks like "Weather Group Television" is the name of what used to be The Weather Company's TV division. (Apologies if this is posted somewhere else around here, I don't visit often.)

Glad to see the channel at least getting some attention.

btw, here's Weather Group Television's logo: http://weathergroup.com/sites/default/files/images/weathergrouplogo.jpg

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 15, 2016, 11:57:15 PM »
This is very much welcome news! I should have thought to check last night when we were under a severe thunderstorm warning? Was it on the main audio feed or the DVS/SAP feed?
It was on the main audio feed. I also believe they switched to the same feed the IS2 uses, as the weather bulletins are phrased the exact way as the IS2 now. The "F"'s are still omitted on the 36-48 hour forecast, however.

Also, Airport Delays now come from Flightaware.com instead of the FAA. While I don't mind the change it would be nice if half the delay info wasn't blank. <_<
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:59:43 PM by Mike M »

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #542 on: July 16, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
It was on the main audio feed. I also believe they switched to the same feed the IS2 uses, as the weather bulletins are phrased the exact way as the IS2 now. The "F"'s are still omitted on the 36-48 hour forecast, however.

Also, Airport Delays now come from Flightaware.com instead of the FAA. While I don't mind the change it would be nice if half the delay info wasn't blank. <_<

Just wondering, when did they get rid of the airports on the ticker? You know: "Louisville Airport: 80° Cloudy, No Delay"

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 16, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
Just wondering, when did they get rid of the airports on the ticker? You know: "Louisville Airport: 80° Cloudy, No Delay"
They're still there, at least I saw it this morning. You're probably not seeing it because the delay information isn't available, as it seems to be half the time with this new source.

Offline WeatherSTAR

• Certified Cabbl Dealer™
    • View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 1101
  • SD Channel #: 8
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22941
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #544 on: July 17, 2016, 04:07:30 PM »
I've noticed that after the garden segment on my Weatherscan, it will display the following message:
Become part of our new weather movement and connect with passionate fans who love weather as much as we do. Visit weloveweather.tv

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #545 on: July 17, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
In that case, it must mean that TWC is still supporting Weatherscan...

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #546 on: July 18, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »
While I'm quite surprised that Weatherscan still has some signs of life, I bet it'll probably be another few years or so before the channel ultimately fades into history. The facts of that are obvious, Weatherscan still runs on 12 or 13-year-old computers plus there has been a significant carriage drop of the channel over the past 5 years; e.g. Verizon FiOS as well as Comcast's inter-mountain and west coast markets. Despite all that, I myself was lucky to even see Weatherscan in person, of course back when I used to live in Spokane and had Comcast. Now that that's long gone, I can always look back at the many DVD recordings I have of the channel as well as listen to the entire music playlist. :yes:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 19, 2016, 05:19:35 PM »
Another change: The soil moisture/palmer drought severity map on the Garden segment has been replaced by the USDA drought monitor.

Also, the reason for the Weather Group and weloveweather.tv referencing is due to weather.com being owned by IBM now. weloveweather is still owned by the television division, so they went with that.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:59:18 PM by Mike M »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 26, 2016, 07:21:25 AM »
In a monumentally stupid decision, TWC seems to have disabled straight passthrough of NWS warnings to the unit. A severe thunderstorm warning was issued just west of here and the ticker just says "a severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for a portion of the viewing area. Remember if a severe thunderstorm threatens; take shelter indoors. Stay away from windows." The alert tone has been updated to match the IS2 while Cantore narrates the text. Why was this in any way necessary?

This is part of the new FCC regulation requiring emergency messages to be read out loud.
I don't think this is true as far as cable networks go because on the domestic Istars the warnings are still passed through and are not narrated. Nothing happens when I switch over to SAP either so if the new regulation is true I smell lawsuits coming.

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #549 on: August 09, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
So does any part of TWC still have anything to do with NBCUniversal?

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #550 on: August 09, 2016, 02:44:18 PM »
The whole television division is still owned by NBCUniversal, Bain Capital and Blackstone. They just renamed the whole company to Weather Group Television, LLC after the sale of TWC's digital division to IBM, and thus Weatherscan reflects those changes.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:55:44 PM by luesjo12 »

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #551 on: November 07, 2016, 12:59:03 AM »
I noticed the narration is back and the Xfinity logo has been changed from red to all white. Also the TWC logo has returned.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 07, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
I'm shocked. I wonder if the "warnings" (if that's even what they are) are still read out loud...
Are they Cantore's narrations or are they the old Amy Bargeron ones? I don't have weatherscan anymore, so I can't check for myself...

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #553 on: November 07, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »
It seems Weatherscan was rebooted today and the logo was removed as were the narrations. The white Xfinity logo remains

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 07, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
guess that unit wasn't updated when they pushed out all of the updates a few months back.

one other thing I noticed as well, when the Detroit unit had to reboot because of the DST glitch, the boot screen still had the TWC logo... I'm a little surprised by that honestly