April 16, 2024, 04:27:00 AM

Author Topic: Weatherscan Topic  (Read 247189 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Weatherscan Topic
« Reply #525 on: February 07, 2016, 04:11:12 AM »
In a monumentally stupid decision, TWC seems to have disabled straight passthrough of NWS warnings to the unit. A severe thunderstorm warning was issued just west of here and the ticker just says "a severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for a portion of the viewing area. Remember if a severe thunderstorm threatens; take shelter indoors. Stay away from windows." The alert tone has been updated to match the IS2 while Cantore narrates the text. Why was this in any way necessary?

This is part of the new FCC regulation requiring emergency messages to be read out loud.
This creates an issue especially with weatherscans that serve large areas, because then locations are not mentioned in the warning messages.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #526 on: April 01, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »
Not sure if anyone's noticed but the TWC logo has been removed from Weatherscan.

Offline SO7430

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 46
« Reply #527 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
Yeah I've noticed it too. Either a TWC logo change/update is coming, weatherscan is going to be more focused on being separate from TWC or an update to weatherscan is coming, or a glitch. The latter of which I think it is. :)

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 06, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
Not a glitch, but removing of old branding from what I've heard.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 07, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
Not a glitch, but removing of old branding from what I've heard.
"Old branding" huh? What's old about it other than maybe the shading of the logo?

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #530 on: April 07, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
I'm putting my money on the missing logo being a glitch.... I'm 99% sure this has happened before.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #531 on: April 08, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »
I can affirm that Mike is correct on the change in branding. Nothing beyond that though on the reasoning and the developing purpose.. Thoughts of my own are having to do with Local Now stuff..

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #532 on: April 08, 2016, 11:16:22 AM »
I'm putting my money on the missing logo being a glitch.... I'm 99% sure this has happened before.
I think the glitch you're thinking about is when Weatherscan lost the whole background, including both the TWC and Weatherscan logos. Weatherscan is only missing the TWC logo right now.

Offline TheRolyPoly

• Changing Newscasts - Founder, Owner, Blogposter / NPR Lover and Affiliate: 91.3 WLRN-FM / Public Media Fans
  • Ultimate Member
  • The Latest News about Local Newscasts.
    • View Profile
    • Changing Newscasts
  • HD Channel #: N/A
« Reply #533 on: June 14, 2016, 03:48:32 AM »
I feel like Weatherscan is getting for the worse. TWC logo gone, channel disappearing from top cable companies, still not upgrading to HD, no upgrade to IS2 either.

I have no idea as to how long Weatherscan will last.
Roly (Twitter: @itsTheRolyPoly)
https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com (Twitter: @ChangeNewsBlog)
Public Media Fans (Twitter: @PubMediaFans)
PBS and NPR in Miami = WPBT 2 (main), WLRN-TV 17 (secondary) and WXEL 42 (plus to WPBT) plus 91.3 WLRN-FM
https://seriousxm.substack.com (Twitter: @SeriousXM_News)

Offline boyercam

• Bringing The Weather Channel to the UK
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2016, 10:47:22 AM »
As far as what I can make out, I'm pretty sure Local Now is going to be the successor to weatherscan. It's a bit odd that after 3 years since the new HD graphics launch, they still haven't upgraded the graphics.

Does anyone know if Local Now is a Sling TV exclusive? Maybe TWC are going to push this to other providers eventually.

WxStar XL Web Emulator: http://cameronboyer.tk/wsxl/

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
With the release of the LocalNow app on Android and iOS, TWC is allowing people to sign in with their cable provider accounts to watch it.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 01, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »
At this rate, my general feeling is that Local Now is obviously the successor to the Weatherscan service but for at least the near future, they'll operate concurrently. Even up to last summer, TWC was still signing agreements with cable providers and co-ops that included a Weatherscan clause. The channel is pretty cheap, even with maintenance of 13 year old computers. The way I see it is pretty much in line with what someone around here said a few years ago. Weatherscan will continue, as is, no major changes until all the machines stop running or so few are in operation that TWC can't justify the cost anymore. Even with the migration to online weather information and Local Now, Weatherscan remains a very popular service when available to subscribers. I mean here, the channel gets numbers on par with ESPN, that also makes it a very enticing option for businesses who want to advertise.

So yes, the channel has to go off-air eventually, just not for a few more years at the least.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #537 on: July 02, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
At this rate, my general feeling is that Local Now is obviously the successor to the Weatherscan service but for at least the near future, they'll operate concurrently. Even up to last summer, TWC was still signing agreements with cable providers and co-ops that included a Weatherscan clause. The channel is pretty cheap, even with maintenance of 13 year old computers. The way I see it is pretty much in line with what someone around here said a few years ago. Weatherscan will continue, as is, no major changes until all the machines stop running or so few are in operation that TWC can't justify the cost anymore. Even with the migration to online weather information and Local Now, Weatherscan remains a very popular service when available to subscribers. I mean here, the channel gets numbers on par with ESPN, that also makes it a very enticing option for businesses who want to advertise.

So yes, the channel has to go off-air eventually, just not for a few more years at the least.
This is what I wanted to post. You just phrased it a hell of a lot better.
The fact that it's still popular proves that there's still a demand for it. I just think TWC needs to advertise it for once, and maybe more cable providers would take up an interest in it (if it happens, which I doubt).

And I'm shocked that the ratings for it where you are rival ESPN. That's surprisingly good for a looping local forecast! Lol

EDIT: one more thing: if Local Now is weatherscan's replacement, then they should update the graphics to look more like the concept video instead of whatever they're doing with it now. I thought they wanted some sort of graphical continuity between everything?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:53:57 PM by Jonathon »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 11, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »
Even with the migration to online weather information and Local Now, Weatherscan remains a very popular service when available to subscribers. I mean here, the channel gets numbers on par with ESPN, that also makes it a very enticing option for businesses who want to advertise.
I think partly the reason why Weatherscan draws more viewers where you are is the fact that it is on a two digit channel, and included with your company's basic service. Where I live it's been exclusive to the premium digital tier on channel 101 since Weatherscan came to our neighborhood in 2001, so ratings had always been mediocre at best (a lot of people couldn't afford digital cable back then). Of course in the mobile age we are at now it's only gotten worse from there.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:30:28 PM by Mike M »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 13, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
Weatherscan now reads alerts on the weather bulletins (instead of just using the generic message). Video to come.