March 28, 2024, 08:27:58 AM

Author Topic: Weatherscan not being offered in Shamrock Lakes, Indiana  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Noltech

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 1111
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Weatherscan not being offered in Shamrock Lakes, Indiana
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:36:07 PM »
Shamrock Lakes, Indiana is a Suburb of Hartford City, Indiana and I just moved here 2 weeks ago to find out that Weatherscan is not offered here  :cry3: I was so happy to get Weatherscan today, but I found out that they don't offer it in Shamrock Lakes  :cry3: I have the Xfinity X1 Entertainment Operating System for my TV

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Weatherscan not being offered in Shamrock Lakes, Indiana
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »
I thought TWC discontinued Weatherscan?
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:37:49 PM »
As of yesterday, I still have WeatherScan. Maybe your XFINITY headend doesn't offer it.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »
As far as I know, Frontier FiOS still carries Weatherscan both in Seattle and in Portland. Recently I've also discovered that in the northeastern Oregon town of Elgin, the local cable provider there, known as Elgin TV Association, carries Weatherscan on channel 11, though surprisingly not The Weather Channel itself.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline TechKitten

• Been waiting for years.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 61
  • SD WxStar ID #: 20897
  • WxScan Ch. #: 131
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Shamrock Lakes, Indiana is a Suburb of Hartford City, Indiana and I just moved here 2 weeks ago to find out that Weatherscan is not offered here  :cry3: I was so happy to get Weatherscan today, but I found out that they don't offer it in Shamrock Lakes  :cry3: I have the Xfinity X1 Entertainment Operating System for my TV

Comcast is phasing out Weatherscan, I lost mine in 2013. I've heard from someone at my local Comcast headend that they will try to get rid of it by 2020.

Offline Noltech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »
UPDATE: I learned that Shamrock Lakes is not a suburb of Hartford City, it is it's own town with a Hartford City zip code, and i have learned that Comcast is phasing out Weatherscan.  :cry3:

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
We knew this was coming at some point, though. They system has been "frozen in time" since before the HD launch, if I remember correctly. Plus, WATT makes a lot of the WeatherScan product redundant (at least on the surface). Yes, I know there are products not featured or offered on WATT, and that certain viewers don't actually see weather "all the time" but it's close enough that they most likely have no qualms about phasing it out.

Offline Jonathon

• Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
We knew this was coming at some point, though. They system has been "frozen in time" since before the HD launch, if I remember correctly. Plus, WATT makes a lot of the WeatherScan product redundant (at least on the surface). Yes, I know there are products not featured or offered on WATT, and that certain viewers don't actually see weather "all the time" but it's close enough that they most likely have no qualms about phasing it out.
I agree, but Weatherscan is surprisingly popular in areas where it's still offered. I remember Evan saying on here that ratings for it on his cable system were above ESPN at one point. That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

I think Weatherscan will be around for a while, and TWC will probably keep the data feed and everything else for it running until the IS units start bursting into flames, or they go ahead and kill it off themselves - that would be my guess.

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »
I agree, but Weatherscan is surprisingly popular in areas where it's still offered. I remember Evan saying on here that ratings for it on his cable system were above ESPN at one point. That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

I think Weatherscan will be around for a while, and TWC will probably keep the data feed and everything else for it running until the IS units start bursting into flames, or they go ahead and kill it off themselves - that would be my guess.

The key here,  regarding ratings, is when were they allegedly above ESPN? I'd wager it wasn't recent. Ratings even from a year ago are less valuable than current ones, in this case.

Offline Jonathon

• Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
Here: https://twctodayforums.com/forums/weatherscan-discussion/weatherscan-topic/msg195328/#msg195328
This was last July, though, so yeah, the ratings from then are practically worthless.

I do agree with you that TWC could kill it off one day, but I wonder if it's more of a hassle shutting it down than it is to just keep it running...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:24:54 PM by Jonathon »

Offline Noltech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »
UPDATE: I am feeling better.  :happy:

Offline Noltech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »
As far as I know, Frontier FiOS still carries Weatherscan both in Seattle and in Portland. Recently I've also discovered that in the northeastern Oregon town of Elgin, the local cable provider there, known as Elgin TV Association, carries Weatherscan on channel 11, though surprisingly not The Weather Channel itself.
:rofl2: What the heck? xD