March 28, 2024, 01:04:33 PM

Author Topic: Alert scrolls  (Read 6178 times)

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Alert scrolls
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
I don't understand why almost every alert scrolls on TWC with the IS & IS2, yet on Weatherscan... a channel dedicated to 24/7 local weather information does not scroll most of these alerts. We're in a Red Flag Warning & an Extreme Fire Danger message was issued. On TWC HD they're scrolling a Fire Weather Risk in orange, yet neither shows up on Weatherscan. There are other alerts that do not scroll on Weatherscan. I don't get it... <_<

EDIT: It doesn't even show the red alert page for these.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:48:14 PM by KevOwensby »

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
Re: Alert scrolls
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »
The last time I was able to view Weatherscan last year, I remember once seeing a Severe T'Storm Warning crawl on TWC, but it didn't show up on Weatherscan. I assumed it was an error.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »
The last time I was able to view Weatherscan last year, I remember once seeing a Severe T'Storm Warning crawl on TWC, but it didn't show up on Weatherscan. I assumed it was an error.

That was probably an error, because Weatherscan goes in to "Severe Weather Alert" mode when a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning are issued where it only switches between the alerts screen, radar, and a screen that shows that it's currently in alert mode due to severe weather in the area.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:22:48 PM »
Weatherscan should scroll the same weather bulletins that TWC does on its Stars.  If Weatherscan doesn't, all I can think of is that it's an error in that Weatherscan somehow "missed" it, or the Weatherscan system is set up with slightly different geographic parameters from TWC's Star - just enough to exclude that particular advisory from Weatherscan.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »
Weatherscan should scroll the same weather bulletins that TWC does on its Stars.  If Weatherscan doesn't, all I can think of is that it's an error in that Weatherscan somehow "missed" it, or the Weatherscan system is set up with slightly different geographic parameters from TWC's Star - just enough to exclude that particular advisory from Weatherscan.

It's set for the same county as our IS & IS2. Shawnee County, KS. It surely can't be "missing" multiple issuances of certain advisories. It catches every severe thunderstorm & tornado watch/warning and even their updates.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
It sounds, then, like your Weatherscan is programmed to ignore the less urgent bulletins.  I'd recommend asking one of the moderators if this is something worth posting in the technical support folder for the Star staff to look at.

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
I miss the full screen scrolls.  The messages scrolling across the bottom are too slow.  I would have a tornado warning and it took forever to get details on where it was at!  One turned out to be right over my town!  Lots of notice  :wacko:.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
I miss the full screen scrolls.  The messages scrolling across the bottom are too slow.  I would have a tornado warning and it took forever to get details on where it was at!  One turned out to be right over my town!  Lots of notice  :wacko:.

I greatly prefer the bulletins crawling across the bottom of the screen rather than scrolling from bottom to top.  The full-screen scroll, obviously, blocked out all other programming, including local forecasts (a radar would be very important in such a situation), and was usually repeated only a couple of times before disappearing until it scrolled for another couple of times a few minutes later.  With the crawl, it's always shown on the screen.

If you really miss the scrolls, you can ask your cable company to downgrade to a WeatherStar Jr.  :)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »
The 4000 also has the scrolls too, but not for every alert.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
The 4000 also has the scrolls too, but not for every alert.

Beginning sometime in the 1990s, the red screen scrolls were replaced with crawls along the bottom of the screen, and the local forecast during a red crawl consisted of just the current conditions, latest observations, and then 2 minutes of local radar.  Heaven help you if the radar was unavailable - then you'd have a whole lot of nothing to look at, since the 4000 (at least the ones I've seen) didn't revert to a normal flavor if the radar was out.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »
I know that, however what I am saying is that the 4000 vertical scrolls are still around. I took this photo in 2009..
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
I know that, however what I am saying is that the 4000 vertical scrolls are still around. I took this photo in 2009..

I can't tell from the photo - is that a brown screen or a red screen?  As far as I know, the brown screen scrolls never got turned into crawls like the red screen bulletins.