March 28, 2024, 08:39:48 AM

Author Topic: To All Members  (Read 4179 times)

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: To All Members
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »
Gary,

I don't want to come off as rude, but creating a "now" site for anything is harder than a "classic" site.  With a classic site, you have that opportunity of someone having a tape with a ton of rare footage (OH OH STAR II CLIPS W00T!!!), and boom...cool stuff.  And that happens all the time.  With a new site, you gotta ride the waves along and see what happens, because people don't have that "special tape" of stuff.  Who knows...the FCC could all of a sudden force the IntelliStar, XL, and Jr. into retirement, and require everyone use the 4000. :)

I hope this site stays along.  I wish you the best.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »
So let me get this straight..you think there's a better chance that people will randomly happen to have a tape of classic footage, then that they'll happen to randomly have a tape of footage form say 2003? I don't see how. I'm not taking your comments as mean, just....a bit short of logic?

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »
So let me get this straight..you think there's a better chance that people will randomly happen to have a tape of classic footage, then that they'll happen to randomly have a tape of footage form say 2003? I don't see how. I'm not taking your comments as mean, just....a bit short of logic?
Well...um...no...someone out there might have some good footage from 2000-now, but there's more of a chance for an older site (reference TWCC, 1982-2000).  The probability lies in the sheer amount of time that's been covered.  Trust me...if I would have had clips (or anything for that matter) from that time period, I would have contributed it a long time ago.

If I thought no one would have a rare tape from now, I'd have written you off and laughed at you and said you would have no chance of succeeding.  I genuinely don't think that.  Heck, I didn't even get into TWC until a couple of years ago.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 07:03:53 PM »
Well...um...no...someone out there might have some good footage from 2000-now, but there's more of a chance for an older site (reference TWCC, 1982-2000).  The probability lies in the sheer amount of time that's been covered.  Trust me...if I would have had clips (or anything for that matter) from that time period, I would have contributed it a long time ago.

If I thought no one would have a rare tape from now, I'd have written you off and laughed at you and said you would have no chance of succeeding.  I genuinely don't think that.  Heck, I didn't even get into TWC until a couple of years ago.

I just can't understand how you figure that there's more of a chance that a classic site has a better chance. There are several factors which (one would think) would severely impact the probability that an classics site might get footage. First, time. The footage given to TWCC is anywhere from 8-25 years old. For a VHS tape (which is where most footage comes form) thats like a gazillion years. Most are no longer even viewable after that kind of time. Then there's the matter of the weather itself. I could be wrong, but its my opinion that there have been far more weather events this decade so far then in the last two combined. With so many huge weather events taking place over the past seven years, people have certainly taped stuff.

I personally think its a simple matter of luck. Anytime someone comes forward with contributions, its luck. And either type of site could easily have such luck.

Offline ErnestoAlert

• NOfall.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 07:12:34 PM »
Actually, with advancing technology, there's a greater chance of someone having a rare clip from the "modern" era. VHS tapes lose quality over time...and 20 year-old tapes are not young, by any standards. They will degrade over time.

IF we see a US-landfalling hurricane this season, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll have plenty of clips from it.

Gary, you and I both know that there are tons of videos on YouTube of modern TWC coverage. Is there any way to politely invite them to the site? I know some may hesitate to contribute due to the threat of video-stealing. Another idea I came up with is posting an article or a link to an article on the main page on how to create your own watermark and edit it into your video. I've got a link I learned from...but the software is a bit annoying. I'm still searching for alternatives.
Matt (ErnestoAlert)

For those interested...my username is derived from Tropical Storm Ernesto's Storm Alert fame. As most know, this was a ridiculous move by The Weather Channel, considering Ernesto was quite weak. The name is intended to be taken in a sarcastic tone.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 07:46:29 PM »
I had brought up the idea of watermarking, but it was met with great hostility. Apparently folks don't want to take that route. IF there was a way to convince folks that that route is the best one, then I bet I could get more contributions.

Offline ErnestoAlert

• NOfall.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 08:24:28 PM »
My software doesn't accept certain Windows file types (such as .wmv), and only exports as .avi or two other unknown file types. Meaning, I can't edit in Movie Maker prior to adding my watermark...so I have to save the entire recorded file again. This takes SO much time. Otherwise, anything and everything I had would be watermarked.

A simple add-in in Movie Maker can cut-down on stolen videos tremendously. Unfortunately, I'm afraid many would turn their nose at that as well.

Some folks don't get it...you can't completely lock out the thieves, so take measures to protect yourself. In this case, that would include slight mods in WMM or watermarking your videos.  :(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:26:00 PM by ErnestoAlert »
Matt (ErnestoAlert)

For those interested...my username is derived from Tropical Storm Ernesto's Storm Alert fame. As most know, this was a ridiculous move by The Weather Channel, considering Ernesto was quite weak. The name is intended to be taken in a sarcastic tone.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 08:58:03 PM »
Gary- also take this to thought.  Many of the members on here are teens, who are , or soon to be back to school, which mean the site will definately be less active.  Plus the homework, and if we have jobs, or some other school activity.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
I've not forgotten that Kyle. I know that things are going to get slower at times because of that.  8)

Ernesto, I agree completley. I tried to make that very point to everybody, but the main arguement that I got back was "well, its not going to stop them". No it may not completley stop them, but at least your taking steps to protect yourself.