March 28, 2024, 07:39:46 AM

Author Topic: Martin's passing and the future of TWC Today  (Read 27657 times)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Martin's passing and the future of TWC Today
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
As many of you have heard, unfortunately Martin Cornick had passed away Friday, after having recently celebrating his 24th birthday. He was loved by all who visited both TWC Today and TWC Classics. He was the owner of TWC Today for almost 6 years now. He will be missed.

As for the future of TWC Today, it remains uncertain at this time. Martin has not shared any of the hosting details with anyone so unfortunately there is no possible way to obtain the data at this time. The twctodayforums.com domain name is registered through June 2016, however I am uncertain how long the hosting will be live. I will be in contact with the admins of the forums and we will, together, figure something out. After a respectful mourning period, we will get in to contact with the Cornicks and see if we can get the hosting details so we can move the forums to a new host.

I know most of you don't want to see TWC Today or the forums end, but we will try to do everything we can.

Rest in Peace, Martin Cornick. October 22, 1991 - October 30, 2015. You will be missed.

Obituary
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:35:07 AM by jtmal0723 »

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
Re: Martin's passing and the future of TWC Today
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear of Martin's passing. I'm in a state of utter shock and disbelief right now. If there's anything I can do to help keep the site up and running, please let me know. I'm willing to help in any way I can.   :cry:

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »
This was obviously unexpected. I am so sorry to find out about Martin's death. I cannot imagine what his parents are going through. If needed something on here, he was always a help. He would post on my wall on Facebook to wish me a happy birthday. Very sad to hear this.  :(  :cry: My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
If any assistance is needed, do let me know. Such a heartbreaking turn of events, especially for a young and passionate individual.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »
I can lend a hand to you all if needed too. Martin was a great guy with a bright future ahead of him and it was heartbreaking to see this happen to him at such a young age. Thoughts are being sent out to his family and friends. :(

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
I am still shocked by the news. The last time I talked to Martin was a few months ago. Strangely enough, it was about the future of this site. I noticed that he had been absent lately and asked if he had thought about having someone else take over the site. He said that he had, but wasn't able to find anyone (at that point) that a) had the skills b) had the time. Naturally I expressed my interest, and he seemed receptive. He said he would get back to me later in the week, but never did. I tried twice to reconnect, but he never responded. So I will add my name to the list of people that are willing to help keep things going.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
I'm also here as well. Seeing that a lot of us are here and willing to keep the site's legacy going, then we should at least be able to have a community effort to get a lot more content up (especially during those years of like 2009-2011 when a lot of us were still around).

May Martin rest in peace though. I'm still at a loss of words myself. :(
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »
I'm not sure who is still active here from the admin team, but I know I have some usernames/passwords to things stashed away somewhere. I'll help out wherever I can.

I'd also be willing to host the site, forums, and whatnot, in the event that the current hosting solution falls through. I know Martin would want to keep the site alive and well.

Truly tragic news. Rest in peace, Martin.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
First thing first, I am still beside myself with the passing of Martin. It hasn't fully sunk in quite yet. Martin's drive and passion towards weather and technology, especially at his young age was nothing short of exceptional. It makes me extremely sad to hear of such a young energetic person leaving us.

Second, Martin kept me in charge of maintaining the back-end of TWCToday, while the Forum admin's and moderators kept everything sane on the front-end. To that extent, I do have the keys to the kingdom, but NOT the deed to it (if you follow me). When the forum was having its hosting hiccup a few weeks ago, I discussed this with him, and he advised me that everything should be in good shape. Unfortunately, I did not push for him to relay any of the billing back-end info to me just in-case (as we all knew he was a busy person).

What does this mean for us forum-dwellers? The forum and content wont be lost (still off-loading and backing it up at the moment), but we will need to find a new domain that will carry the torch forward. Never at any point are we to forget about the roots of this particular site and the meaning of it.

As myself, a supporter of the intermediate TWC time spanning 1994 through 2003, whom the 'core TWC audience' watched and welcomed into their homes. I believe a name that covers the scope of the channel, the weather, the forecasting, the people that made not only all of this possible, but also inspired people, like Martin, to fall in love with, where without TWC, he may have been otherwise been involved with something else (probably less interesting) in life.

As a member of the TWC community, I know what it feels like to be knocked around and beat up as a fan, especially over the last few years since the NBC acquisition. Fortunately for us, I believe they the head-execs have heard our outcry and are re-aligning the channel to us.

In closing, I would like to open a discussion with the other Admins here on the forum and discuss what would be a suitable domain name to keep us together and strong, despite this hard time. Once a name has been determined, we will have this published and this site will point to there until the hosting on this domain expires.

Brian

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 11:54:33 AM »
I'm beside myself. I was just talking to Martin the other day. How very sad. I'm not as involved as I used to be, however I still check the forums on an almost daily basis. Whatever I can do to assist in this transition, please let me know.

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 07:22:21 PM »
I'm sad to hear this. :( Martin was such a nice guy and a great contributor. I too also had the same exact interests of the weather, technology and of course, The Weather Channel just like what Martin had. I hope the website will still live on since TWC Today is such an awesome website. It would be nice if it merges with TWC Classics. My hearts and prayers all go out to his friends and family members.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

TravelCitiesFan2

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
My hearts and prayers all go out to the Cornicks, this will be very hard for them, especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up.

I got into a lot of trouble on this forum in the past and wanted to try to make amends with Martin but could never do it, but I apologize to everyone for my bad behavior in the past.

-TravelCitiesFan

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »
WOW, I'm shocked.  Didn't know anything was wrong.  Very sorry to hear. :(

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 12:03:21 AM »
WHA--?!?! I did NOT realize this happened!

Martin, thank you for your contributions, and thanks for the IntelliStar goodies you posted back in late 2008! Though we've never met face to face, you will dearly be missed. :(

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »
Although I don't know Martin much, it's very sad to see someone this young go. However he did help me with my TruVu Max questions which without him I would never be able to find how EXPENSIVE  :wacko: the system is. I really hope the forum survives because this is my only go to source for updates on TWC and insider information.