May 11, 2024, 12:31:09 PM

Poll

Is cable TV going downhill these days?

Yes
75 (86.2%)
No
12 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Is cable TV going downhill?  (Read 82920 times)

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Is cable TV going downhill?
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »
Cable TV is poor considering that it is a subscription-type service that airs over 10 minutes of usually-pointless commercials during one-30min program. Infomercials that have their own timeslot? Ridiculous. Billy Mays could get a vacuum cleaner that will work for a few weeks before I have to buy a new one for the same expensive cost across to me in 30sec where they do in 30min, just going on and on about how "great" it is and all of its  :censored: features.

Specific channels? I can't say much about movie channels, except that when they say "limited commercial interruption," they're full of total bull :censored:.
News channels are full of biased politics and other news, fearmongering too. HLN has gone on about the Casey Anthony trial for several years, Nancy specifically.
Nick and Disney have turned into a load of crap-teen-reality shows. Cartoon Network carries the only two toons I've ever cared for, that I found funniest: Tom & Jerry and the Garfield Show. Garfield is being ripped apart limb by limb.
I'm going to bed now, I'll add more soon.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2011, 12:11:16 AM »
Nick and Disney have turned into a load of crap-teen-reality shows. Cartoon Network carries the only two toons I've ever cared for, that I found funniest: Tom & Jerry and the Garfield Show. Garfield is being ripped apart limb by limb.

Thank goodness Teen Nick is bringing back a block of Nickelodeon classics like Doug, All That, Kenan and Kel, Clarissa Explains It All, etc. on Monday. As you said Nickelodeon and Disney hardly show cartoons anymore. Just a bunch of teeny bopper sitcoms/reality shows. Plus, I tried once to watch the Garfield Show.  :thumbdown: It is nothing like Garfield and Friends.  :no:
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2011, 12:29:48 AM »

Thank goodness Teen Nick is bringing back a block of Nickelodeon classics like Doug, All That, Kenan and Kel, Clarissa Explains It All, etc. on Monday. As you said Nickelodeon and Disney hardly show cartoons anymore. Just a bunch of teeny bopper sitcoms/reality shows. Plus, I tried once to watch the Garfield Show.  :thumbdown: It is nothing like Garfield and Friends.  :no:

I tried once to watch the new version of Scooby-Doo just for the heck of it and really sucks. I don't ever recall there being a love connection between Shaggy and Velma in the original or any remakes after that unless it went way over my head. There's no connection between it and the original except the clothes they wear and the fact that they're in "high school".  I don't get why they feel the need to ruin a lot of these cartoons with remakes that completely rewrite the history of the original.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »

I would watch Teen Nick (I LOVE "All That," but my crappy, hoboken cable company doesn't carry it (except with the $50 additional for digital that brings only 15 more channels.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »
Does anybody remember "Roundhouse" from when they introduced SNICK back in 1992?  I somehow remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when that show first aired.  :)

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2011, 11:17:30 PM »
Does anybody remember "Roundhouse" from when they introduced SNICK back in 1992?  I somehow remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when that show first aired.  :)
I remember that show!  :yes:  In fact, my cable system used to have TWC right next to Nickelodeon on channel 36. To this day (even though our cable system went all digital since March), Nick is still on 35 in my area, but TWC moved to channel 2 in 2003. Bravo took over TWC's former channel number location on 36. I liked it better when it was side-by-side and made it easier to flip back and forth between channels (since I didn't know how to use a remote control keypad until when I was about seven or so). So that way, its family shows and cartoons on one channel and a informational-based weather station (or what was at the time anyway) on a another without having to flip through a bunch of other channels that I either don't watch or rarely watch or even refuse to watch just to find TWC. Of course, I used to do that all the time just so I could find the Prevue Channel whenever when I wanted to see what's on TV.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »
I am old enough to remember when Nickelodeon had Weinerville, Figure It Out, AAH! Real Monsters, Gullah Gullah Island, Little Bear, Pete and Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark. Who can forget Stick Stickly? They also showed cartoons like Muppet Babies, Inspector Gadget, Garfield and Friends, and Alvin and the Chipmunks (all of which I loved to watch). My personal favorite Nick shows were Doug, Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Gullah Gullah Island, Kenan and Kel, Cousin Skeeter, the Amanda Show, and All That. I like Spongebob best up until the movie came out. From that point on, Spongebob got new writers and became just plain stupid, and I have very sparingly watched it over the last few years. Nickelodeon was such a great network back in the 1990s and early 2000s. I'll even take shows like Taina over iCarly and Victorious.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
I am old enough to remember when Nickelodeon had Weinerville, Figure It Out, AAH! Real Monsters, Gullah Gullah Island, Little Bear, Pete and Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark. Who can forget Stick Stickly?

I'm old enough to remember when "Pinwheel" was the only show on Nickelodeon for hours on end.  And when it wasn't "Pinwheel," chances are it was "Sharon, Lois, and Bram's Elephant Show."  Skiddle-a-dink-a-rinky-dink, skiddle-a-rinky-do...

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »
I remember watching Face on Nick Jr., as well as Little Bear, Rugrats, Dora the Explorer... Its been so long I can't really remember anything else. I loved being a kid, if I could go back now (realizing by the end of the decade I'll be around 23y/o) I would.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
I remember watching Face on Nick Jr., as well as Little Bear, Rugrats, Dora the Explorer... Its been so long I can't really remember anything else. I loved being a kid, if I could go back now (realizing by the end of the decade I'll be around 23y/o) I would.

It has been nostalgic watching Teen Nick and seeing Doug, All That, and Kenan and Kel. Hopefully, they'll show Angry Beavers and Hey Arnold in the coming weeks.  ;)

- From "Moesha"

phw115wvwx

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
I saw quite a few of those shows growing up, but I was more fascinated in the games shows on Nickelodeon as a kid.  How many of you remember Think Fast, Finders Keepers, Double Dare, Get the Picture, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Figure it Out?  Yes, I saw all of these shows growing up. ;)

Offline Austin M.

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
I saw quite a few of those shows growing up, but I was more fascinated in the games shows on Nickelodeon as a kid.  How many of you remember Think Fast, Finders Keepers, Double Dare, Get the Picture, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Figure it Out?  Yes, I saw all of these shows growing up. ;)

Yes, I remember repeats of everything except Think Fast when Nick GaS was still on the air. I hated but loved Legends, Figure it Out was great... the modern-day BrainSurge (which, IMO, stinks).

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
I remember seeing some of the game shows on Nick's GAS block back in the early 2000's :yes:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
Has anyone noticed how truTV now shows NCAA tournaments? How the hell does that resemble the court system? Worst of all they broadcast it during their normal live trial coverage hours.

Also, why is it that TV channels show marathons of one program? It seems every channel they just spend a whole day playing one TV show rather than sticking with a schedule. It's really ridiculous.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
Has anyone noticed how truTV now shows NCAA tournaments? How the hell does that resemble the court system? Worst of all they broadcast it during their normal live trial coverage hours.
When it relaunched as truTV in 2008, it reached out to more reality shows along with court trial coverage.  So, you're late in seeing that it already has changed its approach.  With regards to the NCAA tournament, CBS and Turner Sports signed a 14-year contract in 2010 to carry all tournament games in their entirety.  Because there can be up to four games playing at once in the first round, the networks of CBS, TNT, TBS, and truTV are following this contract.  It actually allows truTV to get some exposure from people who would rarely see it and perhaps entice them to keep watching it after the tournament is over.