March 29, 2024, 04:23:58 AM

Author Topic: Goodbye Qwest Cable. =(  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Squizz

• Lé Gasp! Lé Squizz!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Goodbye Qwest Cable. =(
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »
I got this letter from Qwest today. 

Dear (my name):

Qwest is upgrading our network to offer you the fastest high-speed internet service in your neighborhood. The technology upgrade in your neighborhood is scheduled to be completed by  March 9, 2009. At the same time as the high-speed Internet service upgrade, we will be discontinuing our Choice TV service offerings.
Once the technology upgrade is complete, your high-speed internet service will be as fast or faster than it is today. (for me it's as fast) As an added benefit to the high speed technology upgrade, we will be sending a trained technician to your home to install your upgraded service and assist in setting up a new email account at no cost to you. All you will need to do is schedule an appointment by call us at (their phone number.) When we upgrade the technology your current high speed internet service will be temporarily interrupted until a technician can install a new modem. That is why it is important for you to schedule an installation appointment as soon as possible.
As a result of this technology upgrade, Qwest will be discontinuing its Choice TV service offerings and your service will be disconnected effective March 9, 2009. Qwest has extremely attractive (
) digital TV offers available which will allow you to Switch to DirecTV service available through Qwest. Please call Qwest today at (their phone number) to learn more about DirecTV and to schedule a free installation. Call now and get DirecTV service set up as soon as possible to avoid TV service interuption. DirecTV service should be installed before Qwest Choice TV service ends on March 9, 2009.

I'm scared. I want my IS not Satellite. I know a lot of guys here have DirecTV so I have a couple questions.

Is Satellite pure crap?
Will I have WeatherScan?
Should I be sad?
How is the HD quality?
How is the DVR?
How is DirecTV?
Will I still get my Local On The 8's and the tickers and the other stuff?
Am I rambling?
Should I shut up?
I will.
[/]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:10:22 PM by Squizz »

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Goodbye Qwest Cable. =(
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
Is Satellite pure crap?- If you live in an area with a lot of trees.
Will I have WeatherScan?= Never
Should I be sad?- Yes
How is the HD quality?- Great, better than cable in most cases
How is the DVR?- Nice, Dish is better but Direct TV has a nice one.
How is DirecTV? Amazing for HD channels.
Will I still get my Local On The 8's and the tickers and the other stuff?- No
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:46:36 PM by Martin »

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »
Not only you won't get Weatherscan, but not any local channels (Weather Plus, AccuWeather, etc).

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »
I just want to correct Martin's last answer-you will get a LF, but not a local one. You'll get the generic satellite LF, which we see whenever TWC has a difficulty. The product Martin is referring to is not a LF product, but rather a TWCi feature provided by your service provider.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
I just want to correct Martin's last answer-you will get a LF, but not a local one. You'll get the generic satellite LF, which we see whenever TWC has a difficulty. The product Martin is referring to is not a LF product, but rather a TWCi feature provided by your service provider.
Ah yes thats true :yes: Thanks for correcting me

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »
May I should answer some of these questions.

Is Satellite pure crap?---been with DirecTV for like ever, so I'm used to it.
Will I have WeatherScan?---well, it's not the same as what you will normally see, but it has your zip code and everything.
Should I be sad?---well...idk if you really are, then you can cry on my shoulder.
How is the HD quality? N/A
How is the DVR? N/A
How is DirecTV?--- pretty good...sucky at times, especially if you are a mover.
Will I still get my Local On The 8's and the tickers and the other stuff? ---Like I said, it's gonna be your personal LOT8s, but it will have your zip code, and the whole thing will be different.
Am I rambling?--- no
Should I shut up?--- I'm not asking you to. :P
I will.

In my opinion. DirecTV is pretty good, but once you move and stuff it messes up your whole programming (especially if you live in a certain area, you don't get local channels). I want Dish, because it's better. I wish you luck on your switch, but it's not too late to make plan B.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Darr'chelle

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 70
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
I'm going to give you a basic roundup on Cox here:

1. They're slow on HD. It's not really their fault, though.
2. We don't have Weatherscan. I imagine the STAR failed and it got pulled.

Cox DVRs are OK (I have to be esoteric with them for the sake of our family), and the CSRs are actually decent.

Cox might be a good option, but I'm unsure if they'd be available for you.

Offline Squizz

• Lé Gasp! Lé Squizz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
I don't know where you are in Phoenix. I'm right on the border of Phoenix and Paradise Valley. I'm guessing you live in Mesa or Chandler, but we don't like Cox. They treat people like crap and we love Qwest. If there's one thing were not doing, is switching to Cox. Qwest doesn't have WxScan either, so I won't really be missing something I don't have. But I thought it might be nice though.

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »

Is Satellite pure crap?
Will I have WeatherScan?
Should I be sad?
How is the HD quality?
How is the DVR?
How is DirecTV?
Am I rambling?
Should I shut up?
I will.
[/][/color][/color]

1) Only if you have a blockage in front of the dish or if it's storming badly.
2) No, there is no possible way (yet)
3) No, satellite is awesome!
4) IDK
5) I use Dish DVR. You get 200 hours. Default. :happy:
6) IDK
7) You get the satellite LF, but Dish has a partnership with TWC that lets you check your local weather while still watching TWC. All you have to do is set a ZIP Code.
8) No.
9) No.  :lol:

Offline Darr'chelle

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 70
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:36:23 PM »
Dish and DirecTV:

Dish as it is right now: They can get into television retransmission consent doodoo in one second flat. Charlie Ergen is a colorful character. New satellites coming on line to improve HD for the West. TWC HD and a unique weather system. Good DVRs. Not really sure on the weather system, though.

DirecTV right now: Soaring rapidly upwards. TWC HD and the interactive Local on the 8s with weather warnings and all (more modern than the STARs in appearance right now and up to date with TWC!). Heard things that run the gamut on DirecTV. Price increases coming March 4. May be the better option if Qwest is offering you deep, deep discounts.

Common: Lots of satellites, including stuff at the 110 West location (especially Dish) which runs through eastern AZ. Dish will require a 1000 if you want HD (110, 119, 129).

As with Qwest: We've had some CSR ALTERCATIONS with them, but that was a while ago and Qwest has seemed to take steps to get rid of the associated stigma in general.

Yeah, I'm in Chandler. Can you share why Cox is "crappy" to you? I want to hear what you have to say.

[Full disclosure: I run the EchoStar (Dish) Knowledge Base News Monitor (dishuser.net). We currently have Cox.]

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:27:03 AM »
I HATE it when crap like that happens.

Dear (my name):

Qwest is upgrading our network to offer you the fastest high-speed internet service in your neighborhood. The technology upgrade in your neighborhood is scheduled to be completed by  March 9, 2009. At the same time as the high-speed Internet service upgrade, we will be discontinuing our Choice TV service offerings.
Once the technology upgrade is complete, your high-speed internet service will be as fast or faster than it is today. (for me it's as fast) As an added benefit to the high speed technology upgrade, we will be sending a trained technician to your home to install your upgraded service and assist in setting up a new email account at no cost to you. All you will need to do is schedule an appointment by call us at (their phone number.) When we upgrade the technology your current high speed internet service will be temporarily interrupted until a technician can install a new modem. That is why it is important for you to schedule an installation appointment as soon as possible.
As a result of this technology upgrade, Qwest will be discontinuing its Choice TV service offerings and your service will be disconnected effective March 9, 2009. Qwest has extremely attractive (
) digital TV offers available which will allow you to Switch to DirecTV service available through Qwest. Please call Qwest today at (their phone number) to learn more about DirecTV and to schedule a free installation. Call now and get DirecTV service set up as soon as possible to avoid TV service interuption. DirecTV service should be installed before Qwest Choice TV service ends on March 9, 2009.

I'm scared. I want my IS not Satellite. I know a lot of guys here have DirecTV so I have a couple questions.

Is Satellite pure crap?
Will I have WeatherScan?
Should I be sad?
How is the HD quality?
How is the DVR?
How is DirecTV?
Am I rambling?
Should I shut up?
I will.

To answer your questions (and this is from my experience at a soon-to-be closing Circuit City store):

1. If you're living in an area where it rains or snow constantly, Yes.
2. No.
3. If Qwest bundles DirecTV with their internet service, you shouldn't be.
4. On a scale of 1 to 10, about a 9.5.
5. Haven't tried it.
6. It's good. Not great, but good.
7. You may get it through a TWC app installed on most DirecTV receivers.
8. No.
9. No.

Offline Squizz

• Lé Gasp! Lé Squizz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »
Dish and DirecTV:

Dish as it is right now: They can get into television retransmission consent doodoo in one second flat. Charlie Ergen is a colorful character. New satellites coming on line to improve HD for the West. TWC HD and a unique weather system. Good DVRs. Not really sure on the weather system, though.

DirecTV right now: Soaring rapidly upwards. TWC HD and the interactive Local on the 8s with weather warnings and all (more modern than the STARs in appearance right now and up to date with TWC!). Heard things that run the gamut on DirecTV. Price increases coming March 4. May be the better option if Qwest is offering you deep, deep discounts.

Common: Lots of satellites, including stuff at the 110 West location (especially Dish) which runs through eastern AZ. Dish will require a 1000 if you want HD (110, 119, 129).

As with Qwest: We've had some CSR ALTERCATIONS with them, but that was a while ago and Qwest has seemed to take steps to get rid of the associated stigma in general.

Yeah, I'm in Chandler. Can you share why Cox is "crappy" to you? I want to hear what you have to say.

[Full disclosure: I run the EchoStar (Dish) Knowledge Base News Monitor (dishuser.net). We currently have Cox.]

We installed Cox when we first moved to Arizona. Repairmen were crappy. CS were not helpful at all and one told us to shut the "f" up.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
Dish and DirecTV:

We installed Cox when we first moved to Arizona. Repairmen were crappy. CS were not helpful at all and one told us to shut the "f" up.

Sounds alot like Comcast.  :D :P

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »
Seriously? I would of filed charges if they said that to me. :o

While Comcast's customer service might not be the best, they were never that harsh.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:23:53 PM by Mike M »

Offline Squizz

• Lé Gasp! Lé Squizz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »
Seriously? I would of filed charges if they said that to me. :o

While Comcast's customer service might not be the best, they were never that harsh.

If we filed charges, we would still have to deal with Cox. So, we just switched to Qwest.