March 28, 2024, 07:05:28 PM

Author Topic: DirecTV Dropping TWC  (Read 78667 times)

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: DirecTV Dropping TWC
« Reply #315 on: April 09, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
It goes to show that "permanent" channel drops don't go that far.  I gather that there is a sizable community out there which disapproved of DTV dropping TWC, with some even going as far as to claim they switched providers over the move.  Those viewers would supposedly be thrilled to be able to watch TWC on DTV, except for the fact that they've already switched.  Does DTV expect to magically get them back?
But if you look at what happened to G4 in 2010 as I previously mentioned, DirecTV thought at the time that they no longer saw any value in G4's programing or ad revenue. G4 hasn't returned to DirecTV since November 1, 2010. Time Warner Cable later followed suit three years later, and then most other cable providers (plus Dish and even Comcast) eventually created a "domino effect" on dropping G4. G4 after all was originally a video game and technology-themed channel that even merged with TechTV in 2004. The downfall of G4 (or at least in my own opinion) started around 2006 or so when they slowly began to phase out most of the video game and technology-related programs in favor of reality shows. The Weather Channel by comparison also eventually became a lot like how G4 has become. That's not how you would run a cable network business.

I just hope they at least bring back the 90 second/two minute Local on the 8s flavors again as well as playing non-vocalized music (but I doubt they are ever going to do that again).
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline kcspis1

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #316 on: April 15, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
Just tuned in for the first time since back on DTV. Local on the 8s (not yet) 6 minutes commercials, blurb about farm bill, top 5 videos, local on the 8s. So this is what everyone wanted on?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:00:10 PM by phw115wvwx »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #317 on: April 15, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
Let's keep the subject of this thread the same please even though the circumstances have changed.  I had to modify the last post to do so.