April 24, 2024, 11:33:18 PM

Author Topic: ATT U-Verse and STARs...  (Read 7216 times)

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
ATT U-Verse and STARs...
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
Some of you know that I am probaly switching over to U-Verse because of money conflicts. But, I know that they do not carry and STARs... Not one. Not a XL, 4000, Jr, or iStar. It's disapointing. I don't want to go long without a local forecast :cry:

The folks over at the ATT forums were no help. They just came up with excuses (Well, the majority of them). http://utalk.att.com/t5/TV-Programming/The-Weather-Channel-Local-Conditions/td-p/217415

I really wish that they would carry STARs. Well, does anyone know for a fact if they have some STARs at some locations? Since what I heard was that they don't.

Cheers,
Curt :hmm:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: ATT U-Verse and STARs...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »
Wow, those people there are rude and helpless. :rolleyes: It would be nice to see a LOT8s on U-Verse though. AFAIK, no locations have it.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
Wow, those people there are rude and helpless. :rolleyes: It would be nice to see a LOT8s on U-Verse though. AFAIK, no locations have it.
They don't get that they are important pieces of cable equipment. What is the catch to U-Verse? They brain wash them? They make it to where no one can accept innovation :thumbdown:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:16:05 PM »
And the responses you got there is exactly why they don't have a STAR. Its a luxury item that not many people are going to use. Lets face it. Besides most of the folks at this forum, few people could give a crap if the local forecast on the weather channel looked like a powerpoint or some flashy STAR.

They don't get that they are important pieces of cable equipment. What is the catch to U-Verse? They brain wash them? They make it to where no one can accept innovation :thumbdown:
Its a 5k hunk of equipment that tells people the weather with fancy graphics and a voice. They already have a cheap universal solution. I wouldn't call it important.

Lets face it. You hear a tornado is about to hit your town. You can turn to TWC, which is useless in reporting these conditions and has to cover the entire US, or you can turn to your local news which is guaranteed to have coverage for your area by people who know the area and its weather arguably better than those at TWC reading the warnings on a paper, pointing at a map, and showing video with people sobbing. TWC is not reliable for most folks in emergency weather situations so a STAR for an alert scroll isnt really logical either.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:29:11 PM by Martin »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
I concur about that. Sadly this is the typical response of the average TWC viewer

Offline kswx29

• Ultimate Member
  • Dylan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • SD Channel #: 002
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:30:25 AM »
Anyone know if there is any possibility of a Star coming to U-Verse. 
Member of TWCC since '05

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:44:59 AM »
Did you not read this entire thread? Nothing's changed.

Offline kswx29

• Ultimate Member
  • Dylan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »
Actually I did and I mostly heard about how TWC's local forecast is mainly pointless except for us...and nothing about if there was any possibility of U-Verse getting a star.  Don't Dish and DirecTV have some form of localized forecasts now?  I didn't know if U-Verse could possibly get something like that. 
Member of TWCC since '05

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
Actually I did and I mostly heard about how TWC's local forecast is mainly pointless except for us...and nothing about if there was any possibility of U-Verse getting a star.  Don't Dish and DirecTV have some form of localized forecasts now?  I didn't know if U-Verse could possibly get something like that. 
If you look on the link mentioned in the first post you will find most customers (Who posted anyway) didn't see it as a deciding factor to switch and Uverse feels its a accessory not a necessity. Doubt that will change for a long time

ricky

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 04:38:37 AM »
While it may seem rude (and partially is due to this), some of it is because of repetition.  Allow me to explain.

I've been lurking those forums for... who knows how long now.  I can't tell you HOW many people post the same topic, asking if there are stars, if they're testing them, when they will be deployed, if anyone has them, complaining about att/weather not having them, asking the greek gods to implement them, and various other forms.  I'd say that as far as I was watching, the amount of these posts have easily hit the few hundred mark.  Just from what I could say.

Some people are rude, yes.  Some people absolutely hate it.  And others are just sick of seeing 'why don't i have local weather' posts and will say 'search the forums'.

A lot of us u-verse users want it.  Have wanted it.  E-mails to weather channel simply say 'at&t needs to implement it', and emails to at&t go un-answered.  So the truthful answer is... no one knows.  at&t has this amazing tendency on leaving people absolutely in the dark on upgrades and updates.  Markets in Texas will have something months if not a year before everyone has it.  Channel additions randomly pop up.

If (BIG if) at&t ever decides to put a star in, you'll probably see 3 billion posts about how pigs are flying on there.  But it'd only be in Texas for a while.  :/  So my suggestion is to cautiously watch the forums.  When something pops up, you know it'll be around the corner.  Because people reporting it is the closest thing you'll get to a response since god knows at&t won't answer questions.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »
 :censored: AT&T! I will never lay eyes on their company until they install STAR systems, (which, looking at their forums, probably won't happen.) They are a greedy company who only cares about making money and not the satisfaction of their customers.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 01:53:55 AM »
:censored: AT&T! I will never lay eyes on their company until they install STAR systems, (which, looking at their forums, probably won't happen.) They are a greedy company who only cares about making money and not the satisfaction of their customers.
Well I guess that their system is a little... different then fiber optic/cable... I also heard that they haven't made money off of U-Verse yet... which both are lame excuses I heard. They are a huge company... but I guess they won't really care.

Their customers were used to local conditions (That is, if they had Comcast, Cox, etc. and not Satellite). They would probably wonder what happened to their local forecast?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:55:27 AM by curtjr4 »

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
I think there used to be STAR's with AT&T Broadband until it was decommisioned in 2003. (Look at the video on YouTube: WeatherStar XL 7/5/02.)

Offline kswx29

• Ultimate Member
  • Dylan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
Hello everyone.  We recently switched over to AT&T U-Verse because it is surprisingly cheaper and you get more channels.  Of course, it doesn't have a star but it does have a channel right below TWC with an Interactive Weather Application showing Current Conditions, Hourly Forecasts, Day Forecasts, A Radar, Satellite, and in some cities/regions a daily video.  Although it isn't a star, I think it is AT&Ts solution to not having a STAR. So it's not like people with U-Verse are without their local forecast, because they have it.  This also got me thinking, it would be awesome if somehow in the future, TWC had an interactive on-screen weather application.
Member of TWCC since '05

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 02:49:07 AM »
Hello everyone.  We recently switched over to AT&T U-Verse because it is surprisingly cheaper and you get more channels.  Of course, it doesn't have a star but it does have a channel right below TWC with an Interactive Weather Application showing Current Conditions, Hourly Forecasts, Day Forecasts, A Radar, Satellite, and in some cities/regions a daily video.  Although it isn't a star, I think it is AT&Ts solution to not having a STAR. So it's not like people with U-Verse are without their local forecast, because they have it.  This also got me thinking, it would be awesome if somehow in the future, TWC had an interactive on-screen weather application.
This is certainly the future. I have to wonder in 10 years+ if stars development will be halted for more interactive applications