March 28, 2024, 03:30:00 PM

Author Topic: Website Errors and Problems  (Read 85056 times)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Website Errors and Problems
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2011, 11:39:41 PM »
I agree about the calendar; it seems a bit redundant to have a link up top and then have another link with more detailed information in the bottom. And the IRC chat hasn't worked for me anytime I've clicked it.

BTW, and I know it'll be fixed once we delete some stuff, but the "Logout" tab kinda sneaked down next to the current date and time. :P
Tiddlywinks.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
BTW, and I know it'll be fixed once we delete some stuff, but the "Logout" tab kinda sneaked down next to the current date and time. :P

Yeah, that's the whole reason why a couple of those tabs need to be removed. ;)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
See, this is what happens when you don't read the previous posts. My bad! :P  :lol:

EDIT: Looks like something got removed. Logout back in it's spot.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:04:46 AM by plane852 »
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »
I found a mod on SMF to hide some of the buttons.  The calendar button has been hidden successfully.  I can also hide a few others if they are requested.  For example, is the search button really needed when there is a search bar at the top?  I have also added the Users Logged In Today mod at the bottom of the forum.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2011, 08:19:28 AM »
I found a mod on SMF to hide some of the buttons.  The calendar button has been hidden successfully.  I can also hide a few others if they are requested.  For example, is the search button really needed when there is a search bar at the top?  I have also added the Users Logged In Today mod at the bottom of the forum.
No, please keep the search button. I use that far more since it's much more advanced than the search bar at the top. For example I often search posts by user or during a specific time period or subforum. I do, however, think that the IRC tab should be removed. I think most of us know how to get on the IRC, and those who don't can always check the main site.

Also, don't forget about the IM client mods that I reminded you guys awhile back (Skype, Gtalk, etc).

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
No, please keep the search button. I use that far more since it's much more advanced than the search bar at the top. For example I often search posts by user or during a specific time period or subforum. I do, however, think that the IRC tab should be removed. I think most of us know how to get on the IRC, and those who don't can always check the main site.

To respond to what Mike said, the search button should definetely say because that automatically takes you to the "advanced" search.  Often time the bar at the top doesn't work for me anyway, saying "Your last search was less than 5 seconds ago.  Please try again." even when I put something in for the first time! :blink:

Even though the overflow is not a problem anymore, I really think the "IRC Chat" should be removed.  It never works, and I see no use for wasted tabs.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2011, 03:55:59 PM »
Even though the overflow is not a problem anymore, I really think the "IRC Chat" should be removed.  It never works, and I see no use for wasted tabs.
How is it not working? It's a Java applet so you may need to authorize it to be used. Also, I agree with you in a way because hardly anyone here has actually visited the chat, regardless of joining the Ustream chat (the one on the IRC Chat tab) or the more active chat (possibly going to be made official if Martin approves) on my server.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
Whew, here's a big update to address everyone on the forum issues:

• I have removed the IRC Chat button and mod.  We can provide a way to reach our chat in the future, or you can just ask a member who regularly goes there if you have your own IRC client.
  • I have also placed the Calendar as a sub-menu choice under the "Today" button on the top menu bar, because the Upcoming Calendar can disappear if they are no holidays, birthdays, or events coming up within a week.
  • I have installed the Enhanced PM Pop-up mod.  A pop-up box will appear if you have a new PM and allow you to go to your inbox.  However, this feature is not on by default for some members.  If you want to have this turned on for you, go to your profile settings, find Personal Messaging under your Modify Profile drop-down button, and check on the "Show a popup when I receive new messages" option.
  • Mike, I tried to install the Google Talk and Skype profile field mods a few moments ago, but they both failed due to some file compatibility issues.  I don't think that I'll be able to fix them.

I only have one last question for everyone:  Do any of you still use the Help button or the Member Map button on the top menu bar?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
Whew, here's a big update to address everyone on the forum issues:

• I have removed the IRC Chat button and mod.  We can provide a way to reach our chat in the future, or you can just ask a member who regularly goes there if you have your own IRC client.
  • I have also placed the Calendar as a sub-menu choice under the "Today" button on the top menu bar, because the Upcoming Calendar can disappear if they are no holidays, birthdays, or events coming up within a week.
  • I have installed the Enhanced PM Pop-up mod.  A pop-up box will appear if you have a new PM and allow you to go to your inbox.  However, this feature is not on by default for some members.  If you want to have this turned on for you, go to your profile settings, find Personal Messaging under your Modify Profile drop-down button, and check on the "Show a popup when I receive new messages" option.
  • Mike, I tried to install the Google Talk and Skype profile field mods a few moments ago, but they both failed due to some file compatibility issues.  I don't think that I'll be able to fix them.

I only have one last question for everyone:  Do any of you still use the Help button or the Member Map button on the top menu bar?

Nope.  :no:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
I don't think I've ever touched the Help button. The Member Map I've looked at a few times, but if I want to find a member, I'll just use the list.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »

No, I do not use either of them. :no:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
I have removed the Help button.  It only explained how to use the SMF forum in general.  I'm going to leave the Member Map button up as I would have to completely remove the member map mod to do it, and I feel there are some members who still use the map.  Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!  I hope the forum is now in better shape for you all. B)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »
Yes thats why they were never put back. Plus they caused a few nasty issuse.

I'm going to leave the Member Map button up as I would have to completely remove the member map mod to do it, and I feel there are some members who still use the map. 
That stays

phw115wvwx

« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
Thanks, Martin.  I hope you saw my PM as there's only one small internal issue to fix as a result of my actions.  You'll have to take care of it as I cannot access the files for this site.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »
Thanks, Martin.  I hope you saw my PM as there's only one small internal issue to fix as a result of my actions.  You'll have to take care of it as I cannot access the files for this site.
Yep I'll get on that. Long as the issue isn't visible its not too much a problem. Still best to fix it before we upgrade since it gets messy sometimes