March 28, 2024, 03:21:46 PM

Author Topic: Weather app  (Read 7059 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Weather app
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »
I noticed the weather app on everyone's side profile seems to be malfunctioning... it just shows "Fair" and N/A degrees... is this being looked into?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Weather app
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
Unfortunately, as explained in the Front Porch yesterday, this is an issue on HAMweather's end, and not ours. :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Martin has already responded to this matter in the Front Porch:

If it remains offline much longer I will look into a solution on our end

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
Unfortunately, as explained in the Front Porch yesterday, this is an issue on HAMweather's end, and not ours. :hmm:
That must be why my new "your local forecast" sub-section hasn't been showing current conditions for the last week or so. :pinch:
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
Yeah, as I noted in The Front Porch yesterday, it appears these current conditions went out the day in which the NWS converted to their new website design.  It may just be a coincidence since I don't see how a design change can affect something like this, but I still think that's what caused it. :thinking:  We're just going to have to be patient and see if the problem fixes itself, or if Martin can somehow look into this further.  Thank you.

Offline xoddf2

• TWC Fan 2004ญญญ–2009
    • View Profile
    • wlair.us.to
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 798
  • SD Channel #: 22
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23811
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
It works from here:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
It works from here:

No, it's broken in your snapshot. Notice the N/A readings. ;)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
It doesn't help that HamWeather has seen a major overhaul and now only has a limited free version. I don't even know where to begin to find a solution just from looking at their website.

It would also appear that while their website lists a Spring 2012 release date, a php version of the software isn't avaialble yet. I cant even find a mention of the software we are using much less support for it.

Yeah, as I noted in The Front Porch yesterday, it appears these current conditions went out the day in which the NWS converted to their new website design.  It may just be a coincidence since I don't see how a design change can affect something like this, but I still think that's what caused it. :thinking:  We're just going to have to be patient and see if the problem fixes itself, or if Martin can somehow look into this further.  Thank you.
Sadly its not. Not content on the overhaul of their website, the NWS had to tinker around with things that affected most scripts and programs that get weather content from them. Its odd because I don't see the reason behind messing with this as it wasn't needed for the main website update.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
Any luck with finding a replacement for HamWeather, Martin?  I'm guessing there isn't anything readily available.  I saw that TWC's website allows anyone to make widgets to add to a website.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »
Any luck with finding a replacement for HamWeather, Martin?  I'm guessing there isn't anything readily available.  I saw that TWC's website allows anyone to make widgets to add to a website.
Right, but in the forum's case, it would need to be done via PHP coding, and unfortunately, it costs $20/month just to use TWC's raw XML data now ever since their "new" API launched. <_<

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
Could the weather app be disabled in the meantime if possible? Since it doesn't look like we have an immediate solution to this and I think it's just weird having the app sit like this with no data...

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Could the weather app be disabled in the meantime if possible? Since it doesn't look like we have an immediate solution to this and I think it's just weird having the app sit like this with no data...
I've uninstalled the weather mod at this time, but I have left it in our downloaded mod packages in case Martin finds a solution and wants to reinstall it.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
I've uninstalled the weather mod at this time, but I have left it in our downloaded mod packages in case Martin finds a solution and wants to reinstall it.
Unfortunately in doing this we lost all of the customizations I did for the mod. I may have had a solution to get data from another source but until I can work on redoing the custom modifications I had up before it will be some time before anything happens. It turns out the changes the NWS did affected a lot of scripts so we aren't the only ones with problems. It just unfortunate that its an unsupported project

Right, but in the forum's case, it would need to be done via PHP coding, and unfortunately, it costs $20/month just to use TWC's raw XML data now ever since their "new" API launched. <_<
I found a way to get the same data we had just from a different route. The changes I did over the past few days have been unfortunately removed but the progress was slow to begin with. I'm actively searching for a new system so if you see anything or have any ideas please share :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:48:16 PM by TWCToday »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
Sorry about that, Martin.  I thought uninstalling it but keeping it in our database would not cause this much trouble.  I'm just having bad luck all the time when I try to help out on this forum. :(

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
Sorry about that, Martin.  I thought uninstalling it but keeping it in our database would not cause this much trouble.  I'm just having bad luck all the time when I try to help out on this forum. :(
No worries, I probably shouldn't have brought up the idea in the first place. Anyways the only free xml service I know of now is wunderground, but I think we should avoid that unless absolutely necessary due to its lack of variety in observations.