April 19, 2024, 08:00:14 AM

Author Topic: Suggestion: Revival Rule  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Suggestion: Revival Rule
« on: August 28, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »
I remember making a topic about bumping topics and stuff....well this is sorta similar to what I'm about to shout out say.

I've noticed that this thread was done almost three years ago, and some guest went ahead and bumped it. Which made me scream thinking she's pregnant, but turns out that this guest was just there to spam. >_> Wouldn't it be possible that there should be some sort of a "rule" about reviving threads that are really, really, really old? Not like 60-days-old threads, but 2-3 year-old threads?

Discuss. I'm tired of getting bummed by super old threads that make me think they're new topics.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
Re: Suggestion: Revival Rule
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
Yeah, I tend to get excited and upset at times when this happens too.. most of the time topics that are unlocked from 2007 or 2008 that havent been posted in for a very long time and or not recurring topics (eg General LF Discussion), are usually bumped by guests or members that make only one post here and never will return, which, like Ana said, can sometimes get a member excited based off its title, thinking its a new topic, potentially cause a flame war if admins arent around to prevent that, etc etc... <_<
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
Ana, it's already a rule for everyone, but it's hard when random guests make a post.  I have deleted those kinds of posts before in the past, but it doesn't mean that all admins can get to every single one of them.  Furthermore, when you all do reply to the guests, it makes it harder to just delete all posts involved as I don't want to penalize members making good points to the guests.  My advice is that you should simply report to us the posts you see when someone bumps a very old topic for no reason and do not reply back to their posts unless it's really necessary.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »
Looks like the guest posting feature may have to be disabled, if it is getting abused like this. :hmm:

On the note of bumping old topics, members and guests here need to realize that 2+ year-old topics should probably not be revived. Creating a new topic seems like the best idea, IMO, unless that will make for too many repeated topics and clutter the forums. Also, the board does give a notice for topics that haven't been posted in for over 120 days (which is four months). I know this won't stop spammers, but it's an important message.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »
I bumped that Eric Fisher thread that was pretty old, but I figured it would be ok since my post had to do with him reporting n Hurricane Irene and it was self titled so I didn't think starting a new thread made sense.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
As Gary had instructed me in the past when I was first learning the forums, if you can provide good or new information that is absolutely relevant to the old topic, then it's okay to bump it.  If that is not the case, then start a new topic.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
As Gary had instructed me in the past when I was first learning the forums, if you can provide good or new information that is absolutely relevant to the old topic, then it's okay to bump it.  If that is not the case, then start a new topic.

...which is what people should take into account. It's common sense, really, and that's how I've always judged bumping old topics. Unfortunately, this won't stop spammers, but this is obviously a good guideline for our members here. :yes: