March 28, 2024, 09:02:48 AM

Author Topic: New Ideas for TWCT/TWCC  (Read 12811 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Ideas for TWCT/TWCC
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »
The current problem with the website is that its becoming increasingly difficult to maintain with the current architecture is place. I would like to see a revamp at some point but I can't dedicate any time towards that. It would be up to Jesse to work on something or if there is enough support we could pay for a design. A shift to a more weather oriented community has always been a goal of mine. I bought Eastern in hopes of one day bringing it back. I've had no time to invest in that currently.

All of these changes involve time and participation. I'd like to see if I could get some feedback on who might be willing to help out with the administration and management side of TWCT. As some of you know I am actively pursuing a career in meteorology. Unfortunately having my positon at a site like this is a reliability and could threaten potential career opportunities. Soon I will need to step down from my position. I'm looking forward to implementing as much feedback as possible. Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas!

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 12:36:59 AM »
That's really cool, Martin. I'm proud that you're pursuing your interests, and believe me, from the way it sounds, you are more than intellectually capable to succeed in the work that will be placed in front of you to get a degree in meteorology.

In the talks of a shift to a more weather-oriented site, are we thinking more of a general weather forum with some ties to The Weather Channel? I know right now we're largely TWC oriented, but with the direction that seems to be going lately, I don't oppose a shift. Most posts I read are mainly just chat and talk about the weather. Most things said about TWC are mostly negative anyway. :P 

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:34 AM »
That's really cool, Martin. I'm proud that you're pursuing your interests, and believe me, from the way it sounds, you are more than intellectually capable to succeed in the work that will be placed in front of you to get a degree in meteorology.

In the talks of a shift to a more weather-oriented site, are we thinking more of a general weather forum with some ties to The Weather Channel? I know right now we're largely TWC oriented, but with the direction that seems to be going lately, I don't oppose a shift. Most posts I read are mainly just chat and talk about the weather. Most things said about TWC are mostly negative anyway. :P 
Thanks for the kind comments. Everyone here has been like family and I hate to see negative talk get between us. Not too much negativity regarding the weather! Haha :)

The name of the forum is TWC Today and I think its important to stick to the roots of why we exist. That being said its gotten to the point where the passion for The Weather Channel can't fully support a upbeat and active community. I think a 60/40 or 50/50 focus would be good. I feel we are around 80/20 at this point for perspective.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
The name of the forum is TWC Today and I think its important to stick to the roots of why we exist.
Ahem! What's the name of the forum? :club:

:P
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

phw115wvwx

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
Another item I'm going to address here for improvement in our forum is something more personal:  I've been rather concerned about how some of you have viewed me lately.  It seems like when I ask requests or demands from a moderator point of view or when I try to interact with others that it feels like there's a disconnect as if I'm doing something wrong.  I've already slipped a hint in the Game Room about my feelings here, and I'm becoming rather worried about how people view me and the actions I do.

So, in addition to making our forum better with some suggestions above, I personally want to know how I can be a better moderator and friend to you all.  If you all have some ideas, please feel free to either share them or PM them to me.  These can also be suggestions for our entire moderation and administration team, too.  It's been a rough year here based on all the complaints over the months, and I'm trying to make things better for everyone.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
Patrick, I view you as a great friend and you are doing a great moderation job, imo.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »
Another item I'm going to address here for improvement in our forum is something more personal:  I've been rather concerned about how some of you have viewed me lately.  It seems like when I ask requests or demands from a moderator point of view or when I try to interact with others that it feels like there's a disconnect as if I'm doing something wrong.  I've already slipped a hint in the Game Room about my feelings here, and I'm becoming rather worried about how people view me and the actions I do.

So, in addition to making our forum better with some suggestions above, I personally want to know how I can be a better moderator and friend to you all.  If you all have some ideas, please feel free to either share them or PM them to me.  These can also be suggestions for our entire moderation and administration team, too.  It's been a rough year here based on all the complaints over the months, and I'm trying to make things better for everyone.

No worries Patrick. Some of us still appreciate all of the hard work you try to do as a mod. Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »
Thanks, Trevor and Jim.  I still would like more feedback from others as the last few weeks have not been sitting well for me. :hmm:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
Patrick, I really think you're doing a great job with us and you always have! :)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
Patrick, I really think you're doing a great job with us and you always have! :)
Thanks, Zach.  I sure hope things are a little better and that we can actually implement some good changes here once some people are done with finals.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 09:58:33 PM »
I agree that trying to mix the place up with the weather in general and TWC would be beneficial. Like some (I guess), I haven't been poking my head around here that often as I once used to. The reason being, I lost all interest in The Weather Channel. Only two things keep me here, which is talking to fellow weather fanatics, and WeatherSTAR technology. So I really believe that a mix of the two would be excellent. And now time to reply to other people in this thread, so excuse all of this below if you don't want to hear about my experiences here :bleh:

Martin, I'd like to say that I am extremely happy you are following your interests. It's a shame that you will have to step down one day, as you have been an excellent administrator in my eyes. It's not about frequency, it's about quality. You have invested money into this website, and made quite a strong user base. So all I can say is good luck, and thanks for everything you have done. Hopefully you will still to make big changes before you hand off the position to someone else, and continue to be a part of the community. And when you said everyone is like family to you- I can second that. I've made very good friends here, and some that have gone strong for years and continue to. I hate to see things get between everyone like this. We're all friends :)

Patrick, I would also like to say that you have been an excellent administrator, yet alone a friend. It's not too often that you find someone with the devotion like you. You keep this place safe and happy for everyone... and that's all that matters. You've done a fine job :)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
Curt, thanks for your thoughts! B)  I've even tossed around ideas in my mind for fun on the weather side like forecasting contests and trivia games.  There would need to be some strong interest from everyone and other serious topics to offset it on the weather boards to keep things productive.