March 29, 2024, 05:16:09 AM

Author Topic: Weather Channel To Share With NBC Affiliates  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Weather Channel To Share With NBC Affiliates
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
Saw this one coming a long time ago...

Weather Channel To Share With NBC Affiliates

Will give and grab content through "NewsChannel"
By Michael Malone -- Broadcasting & Cable, 9/22/2009 10:14:49 AM EDT

NBC affiliates' weather content is getting a bit richer, as NBC's cable network Weather Channel has joined NBC NewsChannel, the back-end content sharing system that allows participating NBC affiliates to share footage of major breaking news with each other.

NBC affiliates chairman Michael Fiorile calls the system "a collaborative," where a station in the Midwest might grab footage of the major flooding occurring in Georgia. Affiliates nationwide can now get extreme weather footage from Weather Channel through NewsChannel.

"Weather Channel will make their live shots available to affiliates," says Fiorile, while affiliates do the same for Weather.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/354878-Weather_Channel_To_Share_With_NBC_Affiliates.php

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
Re: Weather Channel To Share With NBC Affiliates
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »
I thought they were already doing something similar to this. :dunno:

Offline WXAndrea

• Tampa Weather Examiner
  • TWC Employee
    • View Profile
    • Tampa Weather Examiner
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
^ ^ I thought they were, too.  Although, I thought they were offering up live shots with independent stations.  An independently-owned station where I used to work used to get live shots from them all the time during hurricane season.  It was kind of like the CNN reporter availability, or the network availability to their affiliates.

So, maybe this is just soley NBC affiliates, and no longer independent stations?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 03:32:38 AM »
I have seen a lot more pre-taped stories on TWC (with pre-recorded narrations). So I suspect they are distributing these stories to stations more than before.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »
I have seen a lot more pre-taped stories on TWC (with pre-recorded narrations). So I suspect they are distributing these stories to stations more than before.
That's my guess, that makes sense

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 06:57:18 AM »
It would always be great to see TWC's footage outreach extend to my local NBC station. Where TWC used to be a station of their own, now sharing their stories with affiliates, better bringing attention to TWC as a weather news authority than simply as an entity out there only extending as far as their inhouse staff.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
It would always be great to see TWC's footage outreach extend to my local NBC station. Where TWC used to be a station of their own, now sharing their stories with affiliates, better bringing attention to TWC as a weather news authority than simply as an entity out there only extending as far as their inhouse staff.
I don't think there's anything really wrong with WCAU's weather staff....Glenn Schwartz is very popular

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
Yah, I'm not really a big fan of channel 10's news/weather team.

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »
I think I understand this a little better. This deal is about affiliates, not O&Os. TWC and O&Os obviously had been sharing resources for a while, but this deal was about non-NBC owned affiliates of the NBC network.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline WXAndrea

• Tampa Weather Examiner
  • TWC Employee
    • View Profile
    • Tampa Weather Examiner
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »
^ ^ Makes sense.  I can't think they weren't getting video from non O&O affiliates beforehand, though.  I once worked for a FOX O&O, and while we could only get video and sound from IPUMP, we could still use a source called NNS to get video from other NNS affilates.  That means, if it was an NBC station involved with NNS, we could still use/get their video.  I'd be surprised if NBC was ONLY able to use O&O stuff until now.

Either way, I think this will help them tremendously.

ETA:  Maybe non-NBC O&O affiliates couldn't use TWC video?

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 03:47:17 AM »
Before this deal, TWC was getting video from affiliates of all networks; I'm assuming now it's narrowed down to just NBC affiliates.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline WXAndrea

• Tampa Weather Examiner
  • TWC Employee
    • View Profile
    • Tampa Weather Examiner
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 07:59:37 PM »
^ ^ I don't think they're only allowed to get video from just NBC affiliates.  They tend to take more live looks (weather cams) from NBC affils, but I think the video can come from all over.  As long as it's not embargoed to them and they get it via another news service.  But, they have to be a part of that service, as well as the other station they're "cherry picking" from.  (Example: NNS is a news service.  If TWC is a member, they can use video from ANY other station that's also a member of NNS, no matter its affiliation.)  I'm not explaining this very well, so I hope that makes sense...

Also, I work for an NBC affiliate, and during the Florida Freeze, we actually used a good deal of video from them.  Kind of sad, though, because I work in Florida...

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
^ ^ I don't think they're only allowed to get video from just NBC affiliates.  They tend to take more live looks (weather cams) from NBC affils, but I think the video can come from all over.  As long as it's not embargoed to them and they get it via another news service.  But, they have to be a part of that service, as well as the other station they're "cherry picking" from.  (Example: NNS is a news service.  If TWC is a member, they can use video from ANY other station that's also a member of NNS, no matter its affiliation.)  I'm not explaining this very well, so I hope that makes sense...

Also, I work for an NBC affiliate, and during the Florida Freeze, we actually used a good deal of video from them.  Kind of sad, though, because I work in Florida...
Makes sense! NBC affiliates are their preferred stations for live shots but I have seen a few segments from ABC affiliates in the past month or so.