April 27, 2024, 12:26:36 PM

Author Topic: Weather Walking  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Walking Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
I find it frightening. It shows how under-educated many people are these days. Which means our schools aren't really teaching anything important. Sure it's nice to know how to recycle cans, but that kind of knowledge doesn't really transfer to anything in the real world. They might not be exciting subjects, but people need to know how weather works (so they can protect themselves), how our government (and more importantly how our constitution) works (so they can vote intelligently), etc...

That's because schools these days teach answers to standardized tests.  There's no more room for creative thinking, which would allow a student to analyze the facts available and fall back on his experience and knowledge and make an educated guess about what the right answer should be.  No, no place for that in the classroom anymore.  A student now simply memorizes by rote the information that will be on the standardized tests, because this alone seems to have become the standard for measuring a student's "success."  If a piece of information isn't on the standardized test, the student is oblivious to it.  The student may learn about the Earth's rotation causing day and night, and might learn some facts about the Sun, but, as we're apparently seeing, lacks the ability to think creatively enough to realize that the Sun itself has no day or night, or that the observation of day or night at one point on the Earth's surface isn't universal for all points on the Earth's surface.

Sadly, I know many, many people - even in my own family - of many ages, but usually the younger generations, who are suffering in this way.  Some have no concept at all of time zones.  For others, they just have no idea whatsoever how the weather works - not even the most basic concepts.  Geography seems to be a near universal zero for everyone in my family under 30, while I'm the sole exception.  I have cousins who have studied Spanish, apparently, for seven years already, but even the simplest, most basic phrases are incomprehensible to them.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
Re: Weather Walking
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »
I learned the seasons at about age 4. Who doesn't know the seasons? I mean, really. Come on!

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 12:49:40 PM »
I learned the seasons at about age 4. Who doesn't know the seasons? I mean, really. Come on!

I personally don't know anyone who doesn't know what the four seasons are, but I do know several people who don't know what causes them.  And then I get them really confused when I explain that the Earth is actually farther away from the Sun when it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere than when it's winter.  :)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
Re: Walking Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »
I like that segment, I love to laugh at some of the idiotic answers they give. I know most people aren't deep into weather, but my gosh I would think people would automatically know all four seasons of the freakin' year! (one guy didn't know them all when I watched it one night.) :doh:

According to this, they didn't even ask him to explain them. :wacko:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
And it's bad enough when 1 in 5 Americans or ~20% of Americas can't locate the us on a world map
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:11:51 PM by Localonthe8s »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
All political topics on this subject are no longer allowed.  This message goes for everyone no matter what as it has caused a very unnecessary split in this forum.  Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, but no one is allowed to fire off attacks towards each other.  Let's stay on topic in all these threads.  Thank you.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »
At least they have one program that has to do with weather. :D
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »
This is unbelievably scary and disgusting...

There should be a required weather class for everyone, including adults.