April 18, 2024, 02:40:33 PM

Author Topic: This is not your grandfather's weather channel  (Read 18680 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: This is not your grandfather's weather channel
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
TWN up in Canada doesn't even show longform!

Canada's The Weather Network is considered an essential service and is even tied into the country's emergency warning system.  They could never get away with doing what The Weather Channel is doing.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »
Speaking of the elderly, I can't imagine what one old person might saying if they came across long-form programming on TWC. They might be saying, "Hey, where's my weather?!?" I bet almost none of the old people have all the fancy computer and internet technology and smartphones like the younger people do, where they get their weather from nowadays. The elderly would just probably stop watching TWC altogether and just watch something else on the tube. I think the programming director at TWC needs to think about that IMO  :hmm:

Generally, marketers stop caring about people once they reach the age of 50 or so.  The television industry by and large cares about younger people - the ones who tend to spend the most money.  Advertisers aren't as interested in people with fixed incomes.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
It's only a matter of time before The Weather Channel becomes all long-form. Lets just enjoy the live broadcasts while they last.

Sadly, I think you're right.  The time will come.  And, eventually, even the WeatherStars won't be used anymore.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »
Speaking of the elderly, I can't imagine what one old person might saying if they came across long-form programming on TWC. They might be saying, "Hey, where's my weather?!?" I bet almost none of the old people have all the fancy computer and internet technology and smartphones like the younger people do, where they get their weather from nowadays. The elderly would just probably stop watching TWC altogether and just watch something else on the tube. I think the programming director at TWC needs to think about that IMO  :hmm:
My step-dad (who's a farmer) is always annoyed when he can't get the forecast on TWC during non-local news hours. He refuses to use the internet (has my mom prints out his emails). :P

My grandfather, who's over 80, just got high-speed internet and a laptop. When I was down there he asked me to setup his network, so he could access the internet from his laptop. I couldn't believe it. :o
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »
I remember when MSNBC used to have news in the primetime hours, but then they eliminated it in favor of talk shows and long-form. Headline News used to have news 24/7, but then they filled primetime with all talk shows.

I expect the same thing to happen when TWC expands long-form to three hours. Weather Center Live might disappear, and all live programming during primetime might cease. Live shows will probably only air from 4AM - 5 PM except for hurricane coverage and select severe weather outbreaks.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
I remember when MSNBC used to have news in the primetime hours, but then they eliminated it in favor of talk shows and long-form. Headline News used to have news 24/7, but then they filled primetime with all talk shows.

I expect the same thing to happen when TWC expands long-form to three hours. Weather Center Live might disappear, and all live programming during primetime might cease. Live shows will probably only air from 4AM - 5 PM except for hurricane coverage and select severe weather outbreaks.

I would have to say that this change is a result of no one really watching live programming on TWC during prime time hours anymore.  In the early evening, they're probably watching their local news, and then at night, they're watching whatever exciting show is on USA, TBS, TNT, A&E, etc.  So I guess TWC feels they can compete better if they also show long-form at this time. :thinking:

Offline Travis(:

• View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »
This article is pure BS. I used to like Al Roker but he has crossed the line along with all the other dumb people responsible for this channels death.   :hammer:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 06:35:36 PM »
Not even talk shows... from 3pm-5am on weekends they show court documentaries... not that I mind them anyway since they used to be on truTV before they went all reality.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
I can see that happening...

4-6 First Outlook
6-7 WUWA
7-10 YWT
10-11 WUWA
11-5 Day Planner
5-7 WCL
7-4 Long form

This is almost precisely how HLN does their weekday programming now.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
This quote sums up the direction TWC is going,
From a recent press release http://press.weather.com/press_detail.asp?id=401
"People come to The Weather Channel for more than their local forecast - they come to us to be entertained and inspired, and for help planning their lives", said Ann Brown, senior vice president, client solutions for The Weather Channel companies.

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
This quote sums up the direction TWC is going,
From a recent press release http://press.weather.com/press_detail.asp?id=401
"People come to The Weather Channel for more than their local forecast - they come to us to be entertained and inspired, and for help planning their lives", said Ann Brown, senior vice president, client solutions for The Weather Channel companies.

When they ment by saying "they come to us to be entertained and inspired", that's not what I had in mind. I used to watch TWC all the time mainly for the live weather coverage and maps, not long-form and documentries. I hope they don't discontinue their LOT8s, or else there could be alot of negitive reaction in the cable industry. I can't beleve I'm saying this, but Dish should of kept The Weather Cast on the air and maybe DirecTV and possibly most other major cable companies (except Comcast) would of followed suit.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline Travis(:

• View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 10:44:59 PM »
I hope WeatherNation comes to the big cable giants in several years.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
I already told you all earlier that things aren't going to change back to the way we want them to be.  TWC needs ratings and money to go forward as they're a private-sector company.  They're going to appeal to the mass majority, which unfortunately don't care much about learning how the weather works and what's going on most of the time.  Some people are entertained to see all those long-form shows.  Blame society more than TWC here for not wanting to explore and understand about meteorology more.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
I do give TWC credit for pre-empting taped programming during severe storms.
Saturday TWC was live 4pm-11pm and today they are live all day.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »
TWC needs ratings and money to go forward as they're a private-sector company.  They're going to appeal to the mass majority, which unfortunately don't care much about learning how the weather works and what's going on most of the time.  Some people are entertained to see all those long-form shows.  Blame society more than TWC here for not wanting to explore and understand about meteorology more.

Well said  :thumbsup:

Complaining about TWC more will just add more fuel to the fire. It's best to just live with whatever TWC throws at us when it comes to programming. Please no more complaining, mmkay?  :nono:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)