March 28, 2024, 03:13:11 PM

Author Topic: The Weather Channel Acquired by Entertainment Studios  (Read 11578 times)

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
The Weather Channel Acquired by Entertainment Studios
« on: March 22, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
Variety reporting this morning that Weather Group has been acquired from Comcast, Bain Capital and Blackstone Group by Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/byron-allen-weather-channel-acquire-entertainment-studios-1202733511/

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Weatherscan Contributor
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
Re: The Weather Channel Acquired by Entertainment Studios
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »
Official press release from TWC is out http://weathergroup.com/newsroom/2018/03/22/byron-allen-s-entertainment-studios-acquires-weather-channel

I'm curious what this new company will do with the station considering that TWC hasn't been doing so well in recent years under NBC.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »
Official press release from TWC is out http://weathergroup.com/newsroom/2018/03/22/byron-allen-s-entertainment-studios-acquires-weather-channel

I'm curious what this new company will do with the station considering that TWC hasn't been doing so well in recent years under NBC.

Hopefully not more longform!

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:56 PM »
I'm hoping for a relaunch later this year. I mean, the "Weather all the Time" era/slogan has been around since late 2013. It's time for fresh new look, and maybe go back to its roots? (the channel has been getting more comedic lately, so it's kind of makes senses).

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »
i predict it will have a huge budget cut, leaves Atlanta, Weather Underground the TV show gets canceled and the network loses it's must carry status under this new ownership, unless ES is willing to spin money on this as the have with their expensively produced movies like the recently released "Hurricane Heist".

all i know this may lead to WeatherNation getting bought out by Sinclair and they step up WeatherNation's game, since Sinclair at one point was looking to buy out The Weather Channel but have now failed to buy it out. 

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
It's a shame to see how devalued TWC is. Going from $3.5 billion in 2008 to only $300 million ten years later?! While I'm not surprised, it's very upsetting to see how far it's fallen.

Who knows, maybe the new owners will turn stuff around there...but like most of you, I have my doubts. Considering the "quality networks" they own now (I use that term very loosely), I don't have high hopes for the future of TWC. But I don't think it'll be this doom-and-gloom, apocalypse-type scenario that some people have been suggesting.

Let's take a wait-and-see approach with this.

And since willh699 mentioned WeatherNation, I've noticed that they've improved a lot these last few years. Most of their on-air mets are very polished and professional, and know what they're talking about. They've definitely come a long way.

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
It's a shame to see how devalued TWC is. Going from $3.5 billion in 2008 to only $300 million ten years later?! While I'm not surprised, it's very upsetting to see how far it's fallen.

Who knows, maybe the new owners will turn stuff around there...but like most of you, I have my doubts. Considering the "quality networks" they own now (I use that term very loosely), I don't have high hopes for the future of TWC. But I don't think it'll be this doom-and-gloom, apocalypse-type scenario that some people have been suggesting.

And since willh699 mentioned WeatherNation, I've noticed that they've improved a lot these last few years. Most of their on-air mets are very polished and professional, and know what they're talking about. They've definitely come a long way.
I think it's worth it to consider that TWC's digital assets aren't owned by TWC, those were sold off to IBM. So now without the digital assets, the value of the channel drops drastically.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 10:04:36 PM »

I think it's worth it to consider that TWC's digital assets aren't owned by TWC, those were sold off to IBM. So now without the digital assets, the value of the channel drops drastically.
Ah yes, forgot the brains of the group were sold off last year. IBM made a really wise decision to only purchase the digital portion of the company.

Still, I figured the network itself would've easily been worth at least anywhere from $500-750 million. Entertainment Studios lucked out here...imagine if they tried to put in a bid like this ten years ago. That would've been their financial end.

However, I will wish Mr. Allen and company the best of luck with this endeavor. Hopefully, they bring TWC back to where it should be... let's hope that they do.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:13:53 PM by Jonathon »

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 11:26:09 PM »
This is no real surprise, considering the fact that people have been attempting to buy TWC for many years. Interesting to see someone finally got through with it. I hope the channel changes for the better, and NOT more longform! LONGFORM MUST GO

Offline Lotologist492

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 03:23:04 AM »
Longform does not necessarily need to go away completely.

There is one thing worse than longform, and that is taped replay of weather coverage.  This is exactly what the network used to do in the 'golden era' of 24/7 weather.  From 2-5 AM, a taped loop of the prior hour would air.  Later on in the 1990's, The Weather Classroom programs would air in the overnight hours, encouraging educators to tape the program for classroom use.  This gave way to other programming including the shows we see today.

Programmers should determine what the most popular longform shows are now and air them in this time frame.  Fans of these shows can capture them with their DVR (unless they are true night owls).  Some of the shows are actually good.  To the network's credit, some of the more outlandish shows have been removed. (Think "Fat Guys in the Woods", "Catching Hell", "Prospectors", etc.)  At least the shows airing now have more direct relevance to weather although they are heavily repeated.

Of course anytime significant weather is occurring, LIVE weather would take precedence over any longform programming, even at 4AM.

The weather geeks and nostalgia freaks including myself would LOVE to see all-weather return.  Time will tell whether weather 24/7 will carry the network or if longform really has been propping up the station, particularly with Weather Nation airing all-weather.

It will no doubt take some time for the new owners to dig in and make significant changes if they so choose.  Current programs may be under contract to air until certain dates.  One immediate change I have noticed though is in the commercials, particularly for movies released by Entertainment Studios.  trailers for one such film, Chappaquiddick, have been airing.

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
That is definitely agreeable. What I meant is that I must go in the way it is now.

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »

From 2-5 AM, a taped loop of the prior hour would air.

I wouldn't mind longform if there was a LOT8s (with current radar) every 10 minutes.  Why is there an L-Bar (or reverse L-Bar) during live coverage but not during longform?  That's infuriating... a complete slap in the face.

Are there really enough viewers in the middle of the night to justify paying OCMs and an entire crew?  Let the interns run the show from 2-5.
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline Lotologist492

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 02:39:03 AM »

From 2-5 AM, a taped loop of the prior hour would air.

I wouldn't mind longform if there was a LOT8s (with current radar) every 10 minutes.  Why is there an L-Bar (or reverse L-Bar) during live coverage but not during longform?  That's infuriating... a complete slap in the face.

Are there really enough viewers in the middle of the night to justify paying OCMs and an entire crew?  Let the interns run the show from 2-5.
Quite honestly most of us would not mind the longform if there were traditional LF's six times an hour.  They disappeared gradually during evening and overnight hours, whittled down to just one at :18 so the station could sell more advert spots.  That one LF was kept so they could continue selling background ads.  Now it looks like traditional LF's are going away completely.  They are promising more weather coverage but I have to believe none of us had this in mind.  But I suppose we should reserve judgement until we see how this thing is really going to go.

Offline TV Shows Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 32190
  • SD Channel #: 211
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22581
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »
Weather Underground now gets another hour starting at 5PM. So the show will be 3 hours long now from 5-8PM.