March 28, 2024, 05:34:40 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 260525 times)

Offline Nick

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 519
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28765
  • SD Channel #: 19
  • SD WxStar ID #: 25617
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
Spoke to Melissa, the production music is temporary as Martin mentioned before. A new playlist will start soon but all she said was "LOT8s will sound different".

Gangsta Rap!

It looks like the font used on the new Intellistar graphics is Akko Pro Light (result from What The Font). You can see it here http://www.fonts.com/font/linotype/akko/light#try-it-out
My Classic Weather Channel on Youtube
www.youtube.com/user/hookecho80

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
During long forom shows there is still no weather information on the bottom of screen during commercials beaks for those who do not have the IS2.  It should be there because they do it during live shows on the national feed and I don't get why they can't set the computer to turn it on and off during long form?
Are those who have an IS2 getting any info at the bottom during commercials?

Checked out Morning Rush and the lighting was much better today. Overall it had a much brighter and warmer feel.
As they could do with the old studio the walls and now the floor for the desk can change color.
The used a nice warm yellow color for Morning Rush.

(This is an observation not a complaint)
During the first forecast segment at 9am the music was almost at the same level as Mike Bettes' voice.

For WCL they are back to blue. They also started with the OCMs standing at the side table.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:10:59 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 13, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
During long forom shows there is still no weather information on the bottom of screen during commercials beaks for those who do not have the IS2.  It should be there because they do it during live shows on the national feed and I don't get why they can't set the computer to turn it on and off during long form?

The LDL during longform is transparent.  If there were a national LDL on the screen, the local LDL would need to have a solid background to cover it up, thus blocking out most, if not all, of the bottom portion of the screen during longform.  The only way to show longform full-screen without covering up the bottom is to keep a transparent local LDL, which, unfortunately, means no national LDL underneath.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »

The LDL during longform is transparent.  If there were a national LDL on the screen, the local LDL would need to have a solid background to cover it up, thus blocking out most, if not all, of the bottom portion of the screen during longform.  The only way to show longform full-screen without covering up the bottom is to keep a transparent local LDL, which, unfortunately, means no national LDL underneath.

I'm not talking about the LDL being on during longform shows. I get why it's off.
I'm talking about the commercial breaks during long form.
Why can't we get LDL the they do on the national feed during commercial breaks on the live shows during longform?

One other observation. They still need to make the lighting on the OCMs at the green screen brighter.

There's an article from the AP who talked to David Clark.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/weather-channel-tightening-focus

I found two things interesting,
"Now, The Weather Channel will be able to localize such specialized coverage: if severe weather is threatening the Midwest, for example, the channel in those areas will follow it full-time while other parts of the country will stay in regular programming. Clark said this might happen some 100 to 150 days of the year."

While personally I'd rather watch the severe weather coverage it's good they are going to break into long form for those areas.

This comment also sounds promising,

"The Weather Channel is not abandoning its long-form programming, but is trying to make these shows more focused on science and the weather so they don't seem like they could be on any other channel, Clark said. He cited "Iron Men," a series about construction workers on high-rise buildings, as one that didn't work because it didn't fit the brand. Better fitting the new direction is "Freaks of Nature," a show about people with unusual abilities to withstand the elements."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:54:28 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #634 on: November 13, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
If this hasn't been posted yet, here is a clip of my STAR featuring the graphically updated weather advisory scroll:

TWC IntelliSTAR + Weather Statement- Astoria, OR- Nov. 13, 2013- 2:08PM PST

IMO I like how the scroll does not overlap the LDL so I'll be able to see my current weather conditions at the same time.  :yes:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #635 on: November 13, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »

On the SD feed last night WATT was on during long form the entire time.

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 13, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »
On the SD feed last night WATT was on during long form the entire time.

I think he's talking about the national/satellite feed. which has just the blank grey bar the transparent LDL is cueing over during long form.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:57:35 PM by mightynine »

Offline xoddf2

• TWC Fan 2004ญญญ–2009
    • View Profile
    • wlair.us.to
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 798
  • SD Channel #: 22
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23811
« Reply #637 on: November 13, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
... For example, they don't detail tomorrow's forecast... just today and tonight ...
The Weather Star XL does the same thing.  :-P

On the IntelliStar, that appears to be a bug (3rd page not appearing) because in the videos I have seen, the satellite LF gets exposed at the end.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #638 on: November 13, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »
Please report all bugs and issues related to the IntelliStar or IntelliStar 2 in this thread: https://twctodayforums.com/forums/weatherstar-tech-support/update-related-issues/

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 13, 2013, 06:18:03 PM »
Anyone else with no IS2 notice the clock on the national HD LDL is about 50 seconds behind the actual time?
I know there is a bit of a delay from encoding the HD feed though this seems a bit much.

On my SD IS feed the clock is only off by 4 seconds.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #640 on: November 13, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »
Spoke to Melissa, the production music is temporary as Martin mentioned before. A new playlist will start soon but all she said was "LOT8s will sound different".
oh good. I thought the playlists were gone for good. This is a relief. Hopefully they stick with the instrumental format.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #641 on: November 13, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »
Can't TWC just put the National LDL on the SD feed during longform? Or make a smaller LDL to match the IS2? BTW, anyone have vids of the smaller IS2 LDL?

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:15 PM »

I'm not talking about the LDL being on during longform shows. I get why it's off.
I'm talking about the commercial breaks during long form.
Why can't we get LDL the they do on the national feed during commercial breaks on the live shows during longform?

Too difficult to keep turning on and off for a few minutes of commercials throughout hours of longform programming?

There's an article from the AP who talked to David Clark.

I'd much rather watch coverage of severe weather anywhere than have to watch whatever longform programming there is, meaning I won't be watching The Weather Channel at all. :hmm:

Offline PAweatherman

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
I know this May sound harsh but I got to say I absolutely hate these changes to The Weather Channel. 

First off I hate the schedule changes. I want weather after 2pm on weekends and later in the evening on weekdays.

2nd I don't like the new graphs/maps at all they look so cheap looking,they looked like they were designed by a bunch of high schoolers in a power point class.

3rd When severe weather breaks out in parts of the country only there going to get break ins what Bullsh-- I want to see the coverage also and not stupid non weather related programming..

4th I don't like the new local on the 8's.

5th. Really don't like that every show after Morning Rush is named WCL. So much for the shows having a different identity with anchor changes.

I see that the weather channel on there facebook page wanted to hear viewers feedback and respond to comments but they never do answer questions on the negative questions or comments that were posted.
Thank god for weather app on my phone this was the final straw for me when it comes to watching the weather channel.

Wonder when we will about the layoffs coming cause it's going to happen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:58:24 PM by PAweatherman »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622