April 19, 2024, 10:50:33 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 267606 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
Legacy STAR units are dead. Its only a matter of time, probably within the next 12-24 months before the old backend feed is killed. Most of the units are probably held together by dust and its frankly a miracle that they are still functioning as well as they are. I'm sad to see them go but servicing and running 20+ year old computers isn't practical, profitable or sensible. Even the current IS hardware will likely be revised in the coming years as that hardware is approaching nearly a decades worth of use.

Good point.  Remember the reasoning TWC gave for killing off the WeatherStar III several years ago.  The FCC required a warning tone to sound at the beginning of every instance of a weather advisory, and, without modification, the III was only capable of sounding a tone at the first instance.  TWC decided that, since the III was already a couple of decades old, grossly outdated in terms of capabilities, used in very few areas, and that the cost of making the modification would be needlessly expensive, they simply gave the order to cable companies using it to trash it instead.  Not even return it to TWC, as is the usual case when Stars are upgraded, but to simply trash it.

The WeatherStar Jr. is just a glorified version of the III, and the 4000 can also be described as "grossly outdated" by now.  In fact, if memory serves, it's already older than the III was when it was forcibly retired by the FCC's new requirements.  (And, truth be told, many 4000 units are seriously degraded by now due to age.)  The WeatherStar XL is also getting on in years, though its output can at least still be considered good by today's standards, though one wonders just how much it can be updated.  (As it is, it's not compatible with TWC's new LDLs and squeezebacks.)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »
It defeats the whole purpose of having HD cameras when the image is compressed.

+1 My sentiments exactly.

Legacy STAR units are dead. Its only a matter of time, probably within the next 12-24 months before the old backend feed is killed. Most of the units are probably held together by dust and its frankly a miracle that they are still functioning as well as they are. I'm sad to see them go but servicing and running 20+ year old computers isn't practical, profitable or sensible. Even the current IS hardware will likely be revised in the coming years as that hardware is approaching nearly a decades worth of use.

Very true. Its part of the reason why the Local on the 8s has changed to a simpler form. When the IS launched it was all about features, features, features! Bus forecasts, ski forecasts, getaway forecasts, etc. Now its a more concise set of information geared toward whats relevant to the user.

I agree with both of these statements also. I've been saying the same thing about the IS for a while now how it was considered revolutionary compared to it's predecessors, but now even the IS feels quite outdated and it probably won't be long before it's updated. The only thing that's unfortunate is I haven't been able to see a legacy STAR and probably never will in person. :hmm:

EDIT: I know this video has been shared here like a dozen times, but every time a discussion about TWC's graphics come up all I can think about is why the hell didn't they use THESE? I know it was just a concept/idea for their HD launch, but it was perfect and it worked. Oh btw, at 10, 22, and 28 seconds in, THAT'S how they should use 3D graphics, not that Powerpoint garbage they're using now. The best graphics is 30 seconds in with Stephanie, that would have looked really awesome in HD with the city backdrop transitioning from day to night like that. :yes:
The Weather Channel HD Vision
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:22:40 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
It defeats the whole purpose of having HD cameras when the image is compressed.
I thought you said you liked those graphics when they came out.... :thinking:

I actually wouldn't mind having no traditional LOT8s and just have programming with the 30% LDL and LDA (outside of maybe WUWA/Morning Rush). That way all of our weather information is all in our fingertips. As it is the 16% LDL has incomplete information on both IS (especially) and IS2 for it to display on its own. Also programming was still in 16:9 HD with these graphics as well.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:48:07 PM by Mike M »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
Somebody should seriously get around to making a fully functional XL emulator. The nostalgia is killing me now...  :footinmouth:

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
With the limited resources i have here's what i think the new Local On The 8s might look like

Example of Localonthe8s

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
With the limited resources i have here's what i think the new Local On The 8s might look like

Example of Localonthe8s

I would agree with you Alex. :yes:  This fits the showing LOT8s and live weather simultaneously, or whatever that article hinted to.  What would be kind of neat is to have a personalized video forecast in the "screen" portion, kind of like what AccuWeather does, or even the "Focus Forecasts" on weather.com now.  But I don't know how much recording that would take - if they have to update all those US cities several times a day! :o

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »
even the "Focus Forecasts" on weather.com now.

From this clip i caught today i would agree with your statement (seems from the video it looks to be Miami's Local on the 8s).

Jennifer Lopez Rejoins The Weather Channel (Localonthe8s)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:45:35 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »
Very true. Its part of the reason why the Local on the 8s has changed to a simpler form. When the IS launched it was all about features, features, features! Bus forecasts, ski forecasts, getaway forecasts, etc. Now its a more concise set of information geared toward whats relevant to the user.
Just curious, but do you personally like the direction TWC is going toward?

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
So with all this talk about TWC updating their GFX PKG's when do you guys think this might actually take place? I know at the UpFront they had they were saying new programming and a relaunch would be happening within this year or so. I'm wondering if they are going to change their logo again as well.
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »
I really hope they don't get rid of full screen locals, LOT8s is a staple to TWC. I just wish they restored them back to their 2 minute lengths, so viewers get see their complete forecasts again. I'm also positive they yanked the station ID at every :57 of the hour so they can slip in a commercial during that time. :rolleyes:

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
With the new schedule change showing up today i wouldn't be surprised if the new graphics come out in the next 1-4 weeks.

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Schedule Change? I new so I'm just curious. What schedule change? :blushing:
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
Schedule Change? I new so I'm just curious. What schedule change? :blushing:

Anyone know why TWC is doing no live shows from 5pm to 4am?

https://twctodayforums.com/forums/everything-else-twc/general-twc-discussion/msg183048/#msg183048

Weird thing is my Xfinity guide didn't show the changes  :wacko:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:18:11 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline Stephen

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »
I don't believe that's a permanent schedule change (at least, I would hope not). :no:

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
I really can't see how that would be a permanent change.  I just can't.  Taking a look at IceManNYR's post in this thread, one of the OCM's said that was just for a "company meeting."  Now, that might be a bunch of you-know-what, but perhaps something was going on last night that is not permanent, especially if your Xfinity guide didn't show the changes, Alex.  We can only hope...