April 18, 2024, 10:04:44 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 267437 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #660 on: November 14, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
Unfortunately, simplicity is the trend nowadays with graphics, so the maps are here to stay for now. Don't worry, we'll see something else in a few years when a new trend starts haha.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #661 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
Make that three. The maps are way to simple and it's odd not having snow indicated in white as it is on all other channels.

It is? As far as I knew TWC was the only channel (on a national scale) using white for snow, I've been seeing blue being used to indicate snow on a radar.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #662 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
I've seen both blue and white used to indicate snow on various channels.  I suppose it's just what you're used to.

That said, I prefer snow to be indicated by white, and I prefer the land on weather maps to not be white.

P.S.: I remember the days before radar could even show snow.  We had to make do with blotchy green and the meteorologist in front of the map explaining that this was snow, and we had to take his word for it!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 14, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »
I've seen both blue and white used to indicate snow on various channels.  I suppose it's just what you're used to.

That said, I prefer snow to be indicated by white, and I prefer the land on weather maps to not be white.

P.S.: I remember the days before radar could even show snow.  We had to make do with blotchy green and the meteorologist in front of the map explaining that this was snow, and we had to take his word for it!

Well it wasn't really all that long ago (almost 7 years), that as recently as the IntelliStar didn't have a color code for snow or a wintry mix. So I can understand  that. It used to frustrate me to see a shield of green on the radar that wasn't rain, but freezing rain or snow. Sleet was a little easier to detect since it showed up like an embedded thunderstorm in yellows/oranges/reds, but even that could have been mistaken for a regular thunderstorm.

Also the blue isn't something I'm used to, I just wasn't aware any weather related network/website still used white for snow other than TWC. I agree, I rather it be white. To be fari though, it's not like the color codes for rain or a mix is verbatim either. Rain doesn't look green nor does a mixed bag of precipitation coat the ground a fluffy pink. :P

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
Good points.  I'd personally rather see snow indicated in white on a radar.  The idea of white land on weather maps, though, baffles me in any context other than a black-and-white newspaper.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #665 on: November 14, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
Speaking of radars, has anyone noticed how the radar on the IS2 seems to be more "zoomed out" than that on the IS?  Also, I wish the IS2 would show the bar with the range of times the radar is going through like the IS has, but maybe that's just a personal preference. :hmm:

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #666 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »
Understand your points on the snow color indication.
I do agree with Eric though that the maps should not be white. They should have more of a darker earth color.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #667 on: November 14, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »
Although this might be off topic TWC is pre-empting Live Weather Coverage after 2pm on Thanksgiving day and Black Friday (11/28-11/29). Hope they reconsider   :thumbdown:

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #668 on: November 14, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
Although this might be off topic TWC is pre-empting Live Weather Coverage after 2pm on Thanksgiving day and Black Friday (11/28-11/29). Hope they reconsider   :thumbdown:
I don't remember the schedule in other years but they should reconsider!  They're going to get into hot water. If their not already are.

This Sunday is looking intresting for the midwest. wonder what feed DISH and DTV will get? Maybe the area will big enough to cut lonform for everybody?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 14, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »
Just so you're both aware, they did that last Thanksgiving if I recall correctly. They would have done it last Christmas also, but the Plains was being affected by a snowstorm. It was that "D" storm, but I don't remember the name of it.

The only way they'll reconsider (just like this past Christmas) is if another major winter storm is brewing during that time.

EDIT: Even folks at TWC deserve to be at home w/ family on Turkey Day if the weather across the country is calm and quiet don't ya think?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:41:52 PM by toxictwister00 »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 14, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
Just so you're both aware, they did that last Thanksgiving if I recall correctly. They would have done it last Christmas also, but the Plains was being affected by a snowstorm. It was that "D" storm, but I don't remember the name of it.

The only way they'll reconsider (just like this past Christmas) is if another major winter storm is brewing during that time.

EDIT: Even folks at TWC deserve to be at home w/ family on Turkey Day if the weather across the country is calm and quiet don't ya think?
True and I couldn't remember last year. Heck, I can't even remember the cutting of longform at Christmas last year! Hopefully they'll do that again, however this duel feed talk worries me a little. 

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #671 on: November 14, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »

True and I couldn't remember last year. Heck, I can't even remember the cutting of longform at Christmas last year! Hopefully they'll do that again, however this duel feed talk worries me a little.

Duel feed? Will Cantore and Bettes be having cage matches to the death? Or maybe sword fights, that'd be cool too.  :bleh:

Offline Steve-O

• Diggin' storms since 1982
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1823
  • SD Channel #: 23
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24778
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #672 on: November 14, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »

Not sure what year it was but I remember a graphics update on TWC that had RAIN as blue. It only lasted a short time before going back to green.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #673 on: November 14, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
TWC is talking about severe weather for a big part of the mid west on Sunday so it might be the first use of the dual feed or extended live coverage.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 14, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
TWC is talking about severe weather for a big part of the mid west on Sunday so it might be the first use of the dual feed or extended live coverage.
I'll take that over the dual feed. Now, maybe I'm in the minority because I have DISH, don't think I've seen dual feed, don't know if DISH qualifies for dual feed. However, I am in WI so Sunday should be very interesting.

They better do something!!!!!!!! I'm a little worried as TWC is also promoting Freaks Of Nature, but that's not till 10PM ET so maybe the weather will be gone by then.