April 20, 2024, 07:08:42 AM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 267628 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #600 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
If it hasn't already been posted, here's the IS2 version:

New Local Forcast - November, 12 2013 - 8:28 AM ET

Compared to the IS:

New Local Forcast - November, 12 2013 - 5:08 AM ET
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 12, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
Zach, beat me to it! :P  You have better quality than I do, but here is the IS2 from OKC I recorded this morning with my phone.  Please excuse the audio.

The Weather Channel New IntelliSTAR 2 November 12, 2013 11:48 AM CST

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #602 on: November 12, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »
So, are you saying TWC can't show anything on Satellite?

Dish and Direct TV can use their own Stars to overlay their Stars' output over the national LDL, as in the past.  There's bound to some difficulty at first.

The whole system has had a few hiccups, but has otherwise been pretty successful for a flash-cut at 4:00 this morning, and with, apparently, rather little preparation time.  (The worst blooper I saw was at 5:00 this afternoon when the squeezeback didn't happen and the LDL/sidebar just got switched off after a few minutes.)

Just give it a little time.  Once things get ironed out, you might see some improvements.

I wonder if Dish/Direct even still have their stars, since they pretty much quit being used when the national LDL was introduced, plus I'm not sure either provider ever had an IS2.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #603 on: November 12, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
So, are you saying TWC can't show anything on Satellite?

Dish and Direct TV can use their own Stars to overlay their Stars' output over the national LDL, as in the past.  There's bound to some difficulty at first.

The whole system has had a few hiccups, but has otherwise been pretty successful for a flash-cut at 4:00 this morning, and with, apparently, rather little preparation time.  (The worst blooper I saw was at 5:00 this afternoon when the squeezeback didn't happen and the LDL/sidebar just got switched off after a few minutes.)

Just give it a little time.  Once things get ironed out, you might see some improvements.

I wonder if Dish/Direct even still have their stars, since they pretty much quit being used when the national LDL was introduced, plus I'm not sure either provider ever had an IS2.
DirecTV still has their IntelliStar. The internal clock is being cued in place when the LDLs cue for IntelliStars.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »
I don't know if this is fixable, but the local IS LDL doesn't quite line up with the national LDL, at least in SD.  This was a problem with the previous look too, the top of the national LDL always peeked out over the local LDL.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #605 on: November 12, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »
As hard as it may be to believe I'm about 99.9% sure TWC had a fair share of input in how they wanted their graphics to be presented so to make it seem like the group of graphic designers that worked on this for them just sat around on their butts and threw some crap together just for the money is a bit insulting.
Why are you insulted? Are you planning on producing sub-par work when you get a job? My guess is no, so why be bothered by what I think?

Anyway, I was being sarcastic about the no time thing. Working in the marketing business myself, I have no doubt that TWC had lots of meetings about the new look. And I have no doubt that the company they hired spent a lot of time on the project. That's why I'm so unimpressed.

If you want to be a designer, that's awesome. I wish I was. I look at some of the things people have done and am amazed. I can see the passion in them. I see no passion in this look. I mean, all that time and money, and all you come up with are a bunch of colored boxes and an ugly font? I could have done that! Maybe I just don't "get it" because I'm a developer, but I think it's ridiculous when companies charge millions for ugly designs and/or websites that don't work.

One company I work with, for example, had another company "refresh" the design of two websites we created for them. When we got the design back and I applied it to the sites, I was amazed. I couldn't tell that they had done anything...until they told us. All they did was change the colors and fonts slightly. And I think they added a ribbon to the top of one of the sites. I don't know what they charged for their "services," but knowing the firm, I'm pretty sure it was a lot.

My point is this. If you have the balls to charge a client over a million dollars for something, what you deliver in the end better be f-ing amazing!!
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #606 on: November 12, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »
Well said!

As hard as it may be to believe I'm about 99.9% sure TWC had a fair share of input in how they wanted their graphics to be presented so to make it seem like the group of graphic designers that worked on this for them just sat around on their butts and threw some crap together just for the money is a bit insulting.
Why are you insulted? Are you planning on producing sub-par work when you get a job? My guess is no, so why be bothered by what I think?

Anyway, I was being sarcastic about the no time thing. Working in the marketing business myself, I have no doubt that TWC had lots of meetings about the new look. And I have no doubt that the company they hired spent a lot of time on the project. That's why I'm so unimpressed.

If you want to be a designer, that's awesome. I wish I was. I look at some of the things people have done and am amazed. I can see the passion in them. I see no passion in this look. I mean, all that time and money, and all you come up with are a bunch of colored boxes and an ugly font? I could have done that! Maybe I just don't "get it" because I'm a developer, but I think it's ridiculous when companies charge millions for ugly designs and/or websites that don't work.

One company I work with, for example, had another company "refresh" the design of two websites we created for them. When we got the design back and I applied it to the sites, I was amazed. I couldn't tell that they had done anything...until they told us. All they did was change the colors and fonts slightly. And I think they added a ribbon to the top of one of the sites. I don't know what they charged for their "services," but knowing the firm, I'm pretty sure it was a lot.

My point is this. If you have the balls to charge a client over a million dollars for something, what you deliver in the end better be f-ing amazing!!

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #607 on: November 12, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
they said they've been working on it for 8 months

Offline BritishAutophone

• View Profile
    • youtube.com/britishautophone
  • SD Channel #: 27
  • SD WxStar ID #: 26297
« Reply #608 on: November 12, 2013, 10:50:04 PM »
I actually have a recording of the new Local on the 8's from where I live. I only have one so far.
New Intellistar Graphics

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #609 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »

I understand and you're absolutely right, if I was working for that graphic design company and TWC was throwing loads of money at me to drafting and completing a set of designs for them I would be putting a 1000% of work and effort into making it the best thing I possibly could.

My problem was just that it's possible that they could have been kept to a short leash by TWC on just how far to go with their designs since they would have the final say anyway. Maybe they were adamant about wanting to keep the final layout "plain and simple." There's a lot of cable networks that have somewhat similar designs I'll admit.

Clearly, I didn't know you were just being sarcastic on the part of your post I bolded, the way you framed it, you sounded serious. Otherwise I wouldn't have responded in the first place. I didn't mean to offend or anything, obviously I made more out of it than I should have and I apologize for that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:12:06 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline BritishAutophone

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 12, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
Is it true that our local forecasts on The Weather Channel are getting shorter and local forecasts on Canada's Weather Network are getting longer? These new local forecasts on The Weather Channel do remind me of The Weather Network as there are maybe only two songs that are played and each one has a few variations to them.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:31 PM »
Is the local radar always going to show now regardless if there's precip or not? What happened to the forecast maps we saw in the previews?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #612 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:57 PM »
Is it true that our local forecasts on The Weather Channel are getting shorter and local forecasts on Canada's Weather Network are getting longer? These new local forecasts on The Weather Channel do remind me of The Weather Network as there are maybe only two songs that are played and each one has a few variations to them.
speaking of songs, does anyone know the name of the song playing in the LOT8s? I have not seen the "song ID" screen some people claim to see

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #613 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
speaking of songs, does anyone know the name of the song playing in the LOT8s? I have not seen the "song ID" screen some people claim to see

The song ID was for snippets of songs that were playing in the background when they went to a live shot of a random city as they were cuing to commercial break or the LF. The ID would wipe out next to where the show's logo was in the bottom left. The ID had nothing to do with the music playing on the LF.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline BritishAutophone

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2013, 11:23:55 PM »
You can refer to my video I had posted a couple of posts above. If you pause right at the beginning, you can see a view of a skyline with music playing there. They don't have the titles for the music for the LOT8's.