April 18, 2024, 07:07:59 PM

Author Topic: Evening edition, 2001-2003, or 2003-present  (Read 4990 times)

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Evening edition, 2001-2003, or 2003-present
« on: September 01, 2007, 12:32:42 PM »
So, I got to thinking about when EE had 4 OCMs..and I decided to ask, what do you like better, 4 format, or 3 (with Jim)

I liked the 2001-2003 format, with the 4 OCMs.  IIRC, it was Jennifer Lopez and Paul Goodloe who started the :00 , and then Kristina Abernathy and Nick Walker (soon to be Carl Parker) started :30, and each would alternate segments.  That was a great format.  Also, I loved how they did First Forcast, and TWC Across America.  (What other segments did they have?.. If Spring Rubber is here, he could deffinitly help with this)  And, I liked how they had straight weather (with RoadCrew) from :00-:14 or :15 after, and didn't go to commercial, then Locals til :14 or :15.

Which do you prefer?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
Re: Evening edition, 2001-2003, or 2003-present
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:12:02 PM »
I prefer the 01-03 format. :yes:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
I thought Evening Edition went from four hosts to two in 2002 when Nick and Kim were moved from the evening to the morning shift?

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:43:53 AM »
I thought Evening Edition went from four hosts to two in 2002 when Nick and Kim were moved from the evening to the morning shift?

I don't think so, because Carl was part of Evening Edition as well.

Now that I think of it, it was probably in 03, near the end of the era, where Jim then came in as what was supposed to be a week long stint, that turned into something else.  So, it was probably either late 2002, early 2003 when they went back to two, then added 3 (IIRC)

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:50:16 PM »
The 2001-2003 format was definitely the best, and yeah, it ran through somewhere in 2003 before Carl and Kristina were relegated to the earlier shift and Jim Cantore was brought in. I remember seeing Jim on the show with the original graphics, so it was at least before September. What was so great about the original show? Structure and content. The show had a very rigid structure, so you would always know when what segments would air. On top of that, the content was more interesting. The balance was much more in favor of live weather back then, but even when there were special recorded segments, they were interesting. There was a segment (possibly called Weather IQ) were a viewer question would be asked and one of the experts (of which there were more back then) would provide a detailed explanation. Why can't we still have that today?

Instead we have a generally disorganized Evening Edition where segments just air at random with simple, on-the-fly openers. Something about the atmosphere also seems stale, and it's not just the OCMs. Even when certain OCMs take the day off, the stale atmosphere still seems to remain. I don't notice such a stale atmosphere on any of the other shows; perhaps it's because I'm expecting more out of EE than there is to have right now. Why can't we also bring back interesting segments like the hourly trivia question and the Weather Notebook? Why can't the "First Forecast" (which airs randomly now) actually air during the top of the hour segment so that it would actually be "first?" Where has the Travel segment gone? Oh wait, some random prerecorded report has taken precedence. Want the Travel segment? Stay up late and watch EEWC; at least that show has been mostly safe from altercations so far.

For the curious the original 2001 format went something like this:

:00 - Top Stories/Region-by-region/First Forecast (Nick and Kristina at the desk, Paul and Jennifer at the maps)

:10 - Forecast To Go (aka Travel)/Weather Passport (international)/Weekly Planner

:20 - TWC Across America (in studio for a few events, going to break with a scroll of other events nationwide)
(note: I'm pretty sure this segment would also be used for pre-recorded segments like The Weather Notebook if any were to air that night)

:30 - Top Stories/Region-by-region (Paul and Jennifer at the desk, Nick and Kristina at the maps)

:40 - Tomorrow's Forecast Tonight (essentially the same as the First Forecast)/Weather IQ (with one of the experts)

:50 - Storm Watch/Tropical Update

IIRC, the trivia question would often be asked when going to break during the first segment and second segment with the answer being given coming back from break around :20.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »
There was a segment (possibly called Weather IQ) were a viewer question would be asked and one of the experts (of which there were more back then) would provide a detailed explanation.
Yes it was indeed called Weather I.Q. I liked that segment because people can learn different facts about weather. Weekend Now also had a simular segment, which I believe was called "Weather or Not."

I do agree with a lot of your other statements too, Steve. It seems that TWC just shows the forecast at random times these days, and not even teach little lessons about weather anymore. All the shows have basically the same content now as opposed to five years ago when all the shows were completely different (not just the graphics, but the content).

Offline Stephen

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »
I've noticed that PM Edition lately has been doing a "Weather Passport" segment, which EE used to do, IIRC.

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »
I've noticed that PM Edition lately has been doing a "Weather Passport" segment, which EE used to do, IIRC.

EE has done it on and off recently, too, but when it's at a completely random time, and the "opener" is just one of those on-the-fly openers, it's just not the same.
<SpringRubber>   PONY!

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »
Which if you ask any producer, I am sure they would say its good to have a structure, to where the viewers would know whats coming up.  That keep them (or maybe just me :P ) watching.  I can't stand watching Evening Edition.  I have much respect for Paul and Jim, but have little or none at all for Alexandra..she is not "evening anchor" material.  Jennifer needs to go back to that show, and Alex should go back to her fluffy morning crap.

I also like TWC Across America.  IIRC, that was a fast pace look at the forecast...across america, right?

Anyways..yea, definately the 2001-2003

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:04 PM »
Jennifer coming back definitely wouldn't solve all their problems. When she returned two weeks ago, the show just didn't feel right. The production is what really needs the overhaul for anything good to come of EE.
<SpringRubber>   PONY!

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 10:15:31 PM »
I'd more than likely watch the show with the crappy production with her on it, than Alexandra.

But yea, if they changed production and Alexandra...and stopped using those annoying little openers..it'd be good.

Gil

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 10:21:02 PM »
I LOVED EE 2001-2003. that was my favorite TWC show. then they screwed it up...

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »
I loved the Weather I.Q section! Why couldn't they put it back! <_<