March 28, 2024, 10:36:50 PM

Author Topic: Vivian Brown DONE at TWC  (Read 28975 times)

Offline 02Justin10

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Vivian Brown DONE at TWC
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
Hi everyone...I just caught the last 5 minutes of today's (Tuesday, September 1st) Weather Center Live (1-3pm, eastern edition)  And in the last 3 minutes Vivian Brown gave a nice little speech and said that today was her last day at The Weather Channel ... she eventually started tearing up before finishing and Mark Elliott chimed in the last two seconds before the local on the 8s about how working with her has made him a better meteorologist.   :(  I feel so bad for Vivian and I just got done having a short cry.  I can't say I did not see this coming, I just thought there would be some advance notice.  I really hope Vivian will find some bigger and better things in the future and trust me, she will be missed. 

Gah...The Weather Channel.  *sigh.*

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Vivian Brown DONE at TWC
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »
Wow... I really hope it was her own personal choice, not TWC firing another great veteran.
https://twitter.com/keithcarson/status/638788204116766722

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »
I'm speechless. :cry3:

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
Another great veteran OCM likely let go by TWC. Sadly, I am not surprised at this. This leaves Jim Cantore & Mike Seidel as the remaining pre-1999 OCMs. I haven't seen Seidel on air in a while. I wonder if he's next. I wish Vivian good luck in the future.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/vivian-brown-makes-emotional-exit-from-weather-channel/270982

"The Weather Channel told TVNewser “Vivian Brown is indeed leaving The Weather Channel. We are grateful for her many contributions during almost 30 years with the network. She is a part of the Weather family, and we wish her all the best.”"

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 07:13:55 PM »
Wow, this is incredibly short notice. :blink:  I, too, am very saddened by this news as I certainly enjoyed watching her.  I wish her the best of luck in the future.

Based on the article that Adrian posted in which she supposedly said it is with great "disappointment" that she's leaving, it almost sounds like this wasn't her decision. That and the fact that she's gone at the first of the month, I don't know...

Offline PAweatherman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
I kinda of figured her days were numbered when they hired the God awful Jennifer Delgado.

What a shame. She's a big reason why I got so fascinated with weather growing up.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:17 PM »
Another great veteran OCM likely let go by TWC. Sadly, I am not surprised at this. This leaves Jim Cantore & Mike Seidel as the remaining pre-1999 OCMs. I haven't seen Seidel on air in a while. I wonder if he's next. I wish Vivian good luck in the future.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/vivian-brown-makes-emotional-exit-from-weather-channel/270982

"The Weather Channel told TVNewser “Vivian Brown is indeed leaving The Weather Channel. We are grateful for her many contributions during almost 30 years with the network. She is a part of the Weather family, and we wish her all the best.”"

Heh, I forgot about Mike Seidel. Yeah he's definitely next. They're not gonna touch Cantore, if he leaves it'll be on his own accord unless he does something incredibly stupid to ruin the network's reputation (albeit, the bar is not set that high to do that anyway). :P

Also, I think Jen Carfagno has been working at TWC as far back as 1997, so she would be considered in that pre-1999 camp.

Back on Topic: I'm sorry to hear Vivan Brown has left, she was one of my favorites to watch, if she decides to stay in the business, she'll land right back on her feet someplace great. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:10:23 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 10:11:59 PM »
I was absolutely shocked when I heard about this a few minutes ago. Just incredible.

Offline Steve-O

• Diggin' storms since 1982
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1823
  • SD Channel #: 23
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24778
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:38:47 PM »
Wow...

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 11:00:23 PM »
She wasn't my favorite as I don't see her too often due to being at school every time she's on (exception: vacations and days off), but it's a shame that the longest-running female OCM at TWC is done working for them. This news was indeed out of nowhere.

Offline 02Justin10

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »
Well...I'm watching today's 1-3pm edition on Weather Center Live and I'm left wondering if 1 OCM is the "format change" Mark Elliott vaguely talked about on facebook last week...it is highly unusual these days for a regularly scheduled Weather Center Live to air with just one anchor.  Plus, don't TWC have like 8 other OCMs they could have plugged in today?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »
So sad, I grew up watching her, especially when she was on Day Planner alongside with Nick Walker. She had an amazing, long career at TWC and it's sad to see them give her the axe, though I'm not surprised by this either. It's only a matter of time before Seidel gets the axe too.

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
Wow.  She was one of the few left from when I first got cable in January, 1989.  It was Vivian and Jim Cantore left, I think.  They both started in 1986.  She doesn't look like she has been on there that long.  I have also never seen her with hair that long either.

She was a good meteorologist for them.  Big loss for TWC.

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:30 PM »
What a shame. She's a big reason why I got so fascinated with weather growing up.

^^^THIS.

She was one of the main reasons I watched TWC growing up. She was the few minority women I can recall on air during that time.

There's really no reason to watch now...they're gonna screw over my boy Dave, watch. Mike, too...notice they only have him in the field.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:19:55 PM by Pop Light Brown »
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
Seidel is used frequently in field reportings and Carfagno's got a lot of fame from advertisements (plus, doesn't she fill in on AMHQ a lot?), so I doubt they'll be getting rid of those. I would expect Kelly Cass or any of the other personalities that have been demoted to "contributors" the last several months to be axed next. Brown's departure doesn't surprise me, but still sad to see her go as I've grown up watching the long lived team of Vivian and Jeff on afternoons after school.

This leaves Cantore as the only OCM left who's been with the network since the 80s.