April 19, 2024, 05:51:29 PM

Author Topic: Peter Lik Joins The Weather Channel  (Read 24314 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Peter Lik Joins The Weather Channel
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
So why does Peter Lik's show warrant showing a transparent TWC logo with no LDL? I guess an LDL would distract from the pictures, but I still want my weather information. :hammer:

I noticed that Peter Lik's show and the "Flick and a Forecast" airings have the same thing in common: a transparent logo and no LDL, except for the Local on the 8's segment in place of a proper Local Forecast.

Bad, bad, bad, in my opinion.  It wouldn't be quite so bad if the LDL was on the screen the whole time, and the pull-back Local on the 8s with the programming continuing in a box in the corner of the screen would give more weather information than just the LDL (though still less than a real Local Forecast).

However, during this show, actual weather information is being deliberately kept to an absolute minimum, and that seems to run contrary to everything TWC stands for (or used to stand for).  Not everyone has access to Weatherscan, not everyone wants to run to the computer, cell phone, PDA, or whatever to check the weather...  Sadly, NBC has forgotten or outright dismissed the real purpose of The Weather Channel.

Want to find out what the weather's going to be tomorrow?  During Peter Lik's show, chances are The Weather Channel will give you as much information as the Discovery Channel - in other words, none... unless you tune in at just the right time, in which case you'll get the bare minimum of information via the LDL.  And that's only if there's an Intellistar installed in your local headend for SD, or the even rarer HD Intellistar.  Everyone else will have to do with a national city-by-city LDL.

Sadly, I have the feeling that this is the beginning of the future.  With time, The Weather Channel will become a weather-themed documentary/entertainment network, and the days of actual weather information will become a thing of the past.  Just because "Flick and a Forecast" failed during its first incarnation doesn't mean that movies won't return again to TWC.  I think they will.  And then cheesy sitcoms will be next.

I look back with nostalgia and sadness to the days when every cable network had its own unique niche.  Now, every network seems to be more or less the same as every other, with just a hint of its own uniqueness remaining.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »
Well said

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
So why does Peter Lik's show warrant showing a transparent TWC logo with no LDL? I guess an LDL would distract from the pictures, but I still want my weather information. :hammer:

Sadly, I have the feeling that this is the beginning of the future.  With time, The Weather Channel will become a weather-themed documentary/entertainment network, and the days of actual weather information will become a thing of the past.  Just because "Flick and a Forecast" failed during its first incarnation doesn't mean that movies won't return again to TWC.  I think they will.  And then cheesy sitcoms will be next.

I look back with nostalgia and sadness to the days when every cable network had its own unique niche.  Now, every network seems to be more or less the same as every other, with just a hint of its own uniqueness remaining.

Unless it's Sunday night, a weekday afternoon, and unless there is a major weather event, you are hard-pressed to get any consistent and/or constant forecast. This Peter Lik show is as stupid an idea as Flick and a Forecast. There isn't a damn thing to do with weather on this show. All it is is some guy showing off his photography skills. But it is true, most networks nowadays don't continue  their original intent or purpose. MTV doesn't show videos at all, except for a few hours on weekday mornings. Discovery and TLC have basically become Reality Central now. I hope I'm wrong, but actual weather information is getting increasingly phased out, and it may reach a point that the LOT8s are the only type of forecast there is on TWC.  :no: With the way TWC is going, it wouldn't shock me that even that may be endangered.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:20:01 PM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
Does anyone know what percentage of those who get TWC also get Weatherscan?  My guess is it's not a whole lot.  And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been quite a while since Weatherscan's somewhat awkward appearance has been updated in any way, except for the new weather icons.

It really would be sad if the only weather content TWC provided was with LDLs, on Weatherscan, and on the webpage.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2011, 03:02:25 AM »
I think they will.  And then cheesy sitcoms will be next.
Weather sitcoms? Sign me up! :P